• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Stonehedge Publishing

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
They a very tiny ebook publisher, it seems. They are on fictionwise ans a few other sites. Their website seems long on getting submissions and short on marketing. I dunno. I compare them to Chippewa and they seem very small by comparison.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I looked at their submission page and it seems like the only criteria they have is that you format your ms properly. Once that's done, they'll offer a contract, which means there doesn't appear to be any real editing or selection process. That's probably bad.

They're a small press which seems more focused on getting authors than readers. That's kind of bad, but not as bad as the fact that they appear to accept any submission that is properly formatted.

It might be smarter to research a publisher before submitting, not after they've offered you a contract.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The website is a bit of a mess, it took me a while to even find the books. I keep on top of epublishers focussing on romance and had never heard of them. Their site is aimed at writers, not readers. It is not clear who runs the company.

If you want to use an epublisher you could probably do better.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I sent them an email asking about their marketing and editing. I am waiting to hear back from them. I do know one thing, they are better then what I went through with PA.

www.freewebs.com/ccomer

CComer, I know you went through a lot of turmoil with your PA book, and I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that. However, if you're going select a publisher because "well, at least it's better than PublishAmerica", then there's nothing anyone here can do to help you.

Is there a reason you haven't submitted your ms to Real Publishers yet? Publishers whose books are actually in bookstores, by authors you've heard of?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I see this elsewhere: "SP’s editorial staff has many years in the business, which includes membership in major organizations, experience judging RWA sponsored contests, participations in conferences, as well as swimming in the submission drowning pool. The fact that good writers continued to remain unpublished spurred the creation of a house where writers succeed on their own merits, not the latest industry fads and formulas."

http://www.prleap.com/pr/71478/

Leading me to think this is an unsuccessful romance writer's self-publishing venture now expanding to take outside submission. This complicates my usual approach which would be to contact some of their authors and ask direct questions about sales--as there is no way to tell which of their authors are not also involved in running the press.

Given that they opened last month, have a low profile and are in a very crowded marketplace (I know of over 60 epublishers of erotic romance alone) I would predict very low sales figures.

They may well be an honest and well-meaning company but they are still not a top pick for anyone wanting to get their book in the hands of hundreds of readers.

Last edited:

ccomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
It might be smarter to research a publisher before submitting, not after they've offered you a contract.

I did research and found not much on them. I found them on P&E. that is why I am asking and I haven't signed anything yet.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest making a short list of appropriate presses in order of preference and submitting from the top.

ccomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Our books appear on Mobipocket, BooksonBoard, Fictionwise, Diesel books, and Blish to name a few. We're working to get them on Amazon as well.

this is where you can see their books.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The only one of those that is a major ebook distributor is fictionwise, they might sell 20-100 copies of an average romance book. However they also might sell 5 or even none if it is an unknown press with poor cover art--and as fictionwise charges $15+50% of cover price that is not a lot of earning power. Anyone can list at fictionwise, even an individual author.

Do you buy ebooks? You need to develop a feeling for the market and whether you book will sell well there. Ebook romance buyers are very aware of publisher and tend to be loyal to those with a track record of putting out quality material.

You need to get an overall picture of the publisher. They are small (less than 20 books), they produce only ebooks, they are less than a month old, they have a self-publishing aspect, their presentation is average to poor. Their sales will be low. Epublishers also have a fairly low survival rate, one opens every month or so, one goes under every two months or so.

Even a good established epress in a hot genre sells maybe about 300 copies in the first year. Only the top 3-4 romance epresses would reach into the 1000's of copies for most titles. The newer ones may not reach double figures. If you book is not romance that is even less predicatble re: sales.

If you go with them realize what you will get, and what you won't. You will be in on the ground floor of a new company in one of the riskiest businesses there is. That is a gamble. The very first thing you should do is find out who these people are, specific names and experience. You might also try reading one of their books.

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
ccomer said:
Our books appear on Mobipocket, BooksonBoard, Fictionwise, Diesel books, and Blish to name a few. We're working to get them on Amazon as well.

this is where you can see their books.

But I can print a book up at Kinkos and make it available online, that doesn't make it a legitimate publishing venture. Are Stonehedge's books available in actual stores, and are they written by authors you've heard of.

ccomer said:
I did research and found not much on them. I found them on P&E. that is why I am asking and I haven't signed anything yet.

If you haven't found much on them, why would you submit to them? Veinglory's advice is spot on: make a list of appropriate publishers and submit to them, working from the top down.

You're working from the bottom up, which is why you started with PA.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
"After our committee reviews the manuscript, we will send you an email with a contract attached or a rejection notice. Most books will earn the contract."

Sounds like another version of iUniverse, Publish America, etc.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Ccomer, bear in mind what I'm about to say comes from someone who's far from a household name (yet). In my case it's "John who...?" But having been PA printed, and then going commercial, there's something ineffably satisfying about the second way. I.e., having a commercial house--with a real editor vetting process--make you an offer, rather than "well, his check cleared, so send him a contract, Sadie." Matter of fact, there's a world of difference. Why not shoot higher to start with?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are a lot of epublishers out there and quite a list even of legit, stable houses like Chippewa would be quite long [edited to say--Chippewa closed without paying all royalties owed. So, oops]. If you would like recommendations I would suggest putting a breif description of the work up. If it is erotic romance Ellora's Cave, Loose Id, Liquid Silver Books and Samhain are front runners imho. EC and Samhain also do digital printing and are getting some of their books into chain stores.

Last edited:

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
have a book with them

Through a different deal, I have an ebook with them. It is too early to tell, but so far so good.

I have no real numbers about sales, but I have only been out with them for a month or so. The book editing and cover were done by another company, so I can't speak to any of those items. I'll come back once I get a better feel for the place.

awp

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The site's still a mess. How're things going on your end, Allen?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's now a mess of spam and ancient news. According to Amazon, last books published Jan '11 (looks like a mass upload of older books to Kindle).

Last edited: