Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Leo Media & Entertainment Group

monkeygirl0684

Leo Media & Entertainment Group

I was interested in The Leo Film & Books Agency but had not decided if I should submit or not. I have looked at their site in the past and recently checked it again, and I noticed they have added alot of new people to their "new projects" list. I'm just not sure if I should submit to them since I haven't really heard much about them. Any opinions?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Here's the URL: http://www.leofilmagency.com/php/

Questions I'd ask myself would include: are the books they represent on the shelf in stores, and are their films in theatres.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

starbuck63

Leo Media & Entertainment Group

Charges fees.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    URL?

Please send your documentation to Dave over at P&E and to Victoria at WB.

ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

figuring it all out Winterchase's Avatar

Leo Media

Anybody, especially on the other side of the pond, know anything about Leo Media and Entertainment? I've checked IMDb (one mention) and Preditors and Editors - nothing confirmed.

practical experience, FTW
    Here's what they have on IMDBPRO.

London, England:
    150 Minories
    LondonEC3N 1LS
    UK
    Phn: +44 (0)20 8905 5191
    Fax: +44 (0)8701 330 258
    http://www.leomediagroup.com
    info@leomediagroup.com
    Type: Manager / Production Clients: Buddy Bregman / Mia Sperber / Stefano Pratesi (3 total) more » Staff: Alex Sullivan (1 total) more » Branches: London, England / more » COMPANYmeter™
    Current Rank: 13,928
    function goFilmography() {window.location = document.navform.sort.value;}

figuring it all out Winterchase's Avatar

Leo

Yeah, I saw that. Apparently they're okay, but one can't be too careful these days.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zagoraz View Post
    Here's what they have on IMDBPRO.

London, England:
    150 Minories
    LondonEC3N 1LS
    UK
    Phn: +44 (0)20 8905 5191
    Fax: +44 (0)8701 330 258
    http://www.leomediagroup.com
    info@leomediagroup.com
    Type: Manager / Production Clients: Buddy Bregman / Mia Sperber / Stefano Pratesi (3 total) more » Staff: Alex Sullivan (1 total) more » Branches: London, England / more » COMPANYmeter™
    Current Rank: 13,928
    function goFilmography() {window.location = document.navform.sort.value;}

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I just got documentation that Leo Media & Entertainment charges upfront: a £1,250 "retainer fee," to be precise.

It has another URL as well as the one above: http://www.leomediagroup.com/. It goes to the same website.

- Victoria

I'd posted the name change, then realized we had a Leo Media thread too (d'oh!), and figured they could be merged.
    ICAO
    ---------

They charge "retainer" fees of $1,250.

- Victoria

They charge retainer fees because they are Lawyers, just wanted to add that. They aren't an agency group or a management group, but a law firm.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

I helped write this!!!!http://www.ibnbattuta.tv/

Quote Originally Posted by icerose View Post
    They charge retainer fees because they are Lawyers, just wanted to add that. They aren't an agency group or a management group, but a law firm.
    Are you sure? From their casting & packaging page:

The Leo Media & Entertainment Group provides packaging, casting and submission services including:

• introducing your script or film project to studios, producers and financiers able to provide funds or distribution
    • casting talent for your film projects, from leads all the way down to extras
    • helping find directors, writers and co-writers, composers, editors, set designers, and other technical elements
    • presenting manuscripts to publishers from around the world
    • securing translation or distribution rights for previously published books

• arranging performances for musicians
    • securing theatres for the performances of plays and musicals

Seems to me that they're taking on at least some of the functions of an agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    Seems to me that they're taking on at least some of the functions of an agency.

Absolutely none of those tasks are within the purview of attorneys, either.

Between
    The Leo Media & Entertainment Group is a unique set-up founded by a London—based lawyer to provide efficient, confidential and lucrative film, TV and literary consultancy, legal work (in association with Fuglers Solicitors), executive production, and advice to a wide range of clients throughout the world, using our network of long-established contacts in the movie, publishing and television industries. We work internationally and welcome submissions from all around the world. We can take on a project in its entirety, or equally one or more specific aspects, as required, and are happy to work in co-operation with other entities. No reading fees are charged.
    and

A very wide range of legal services for the clients of The Leo Media & Entertainment Group is provided in association with Fuglers Solicitors (In Association with David Berens & Co) LLP of London, a commercial and media law practice. Fuglers is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
    That's the impression I got, that they were more of a lawfirm than an agency.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

The complaints I've received come from a writers who have approached them as agents and/or managers.

- Victoria

That's the impression I got, that they were more of a lawfirm than an agency.
    Paying an attorney to place your books with publishers or hire theaters or cast your films or show (?!?) or auction rights is foolish.

It seems like they're trying to provide the services of a literary agency and of an artists' management company without any particular qualifications or experience.

My former literary agency was part of a law firm. They did not charge agency clients a retainer, simply because the firm's law clients paid a retainer.

I didn't say what they were doing was right or that they were qualified, I was just saying that's the impression I got from their site.
    Albert Einstein

I didn't say what they were doing was right or that they were qualified, I was just saying that's the impression I got from their site.
    Understood, but I wouldn't want other people reading the site to think that was common practice from law firms that have a literary or entertainment agency component.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
    Understood, but I wouldn't want other people reading the site to think that was common practice from law firms that have a literary or entertainment agency component.
    Also understood and very important. And to reaffirm you shouldn't pay for these kinds of things.
    Albert Einstein

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

3 years later

Quote Originally Posted by monkeygirl0684 View Post
    I was interested in The Leo Film & Books Agency but had not decided if I should submit or not. I have looked at their site in the past and recently checked it again, and I noticed they have added alot of new people to their "new projects" list. I'm just not sure if I should submit to them since I haven't really heard much about them. Any opinions?
    Does anyone know anything about this Agency? I've read what people have posted on this site 3 years ago. Is there anything more conclusive now? Are they reliable? Thanks! Totally new Georgina S.

Did you see my posts from this year and last?

I got another report of the $1,250 "retainer" fee this past June.

- Victoria

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Having had a quick squint through the list Clients and Affiliates, I can see one novelist whose work appears to have been published by an imprint of a subsidy publisher. One novelist has been published but I can't find it on Amazon. With the screenwriters, nothing concrete turns up on imdb beyond a couple of short films with v. little information about distribution or who financed them.

MM

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

LEO Media

I would avoid LEO media if I were you.

They charge (which agencies have no need to do - proper agencies take 15% of any deal brokered between themselves and another party on behalf of clients and 15% of nothing is ... well, nothing so it's in the interest of agencies to work for you. Not so if you have already paid them).

Choose a reputable agent, one who will work for you in order to get the commission from your project.

It's tough out there and made tougher by people who want to use your dreams against you and take your hard earned money.

If you think that LEO media and entertainment Group IS the answer to your problem - ask them to work on your behalf on a commission only basis OR give them your hard earned cash under the proviso that if nothing happens within a year they are to give it back - in full with the accumulated interest.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Banscams; 01-28-2010 at 05:24 PM.

No further activity. This particular corp. was dissolved in '14, but he has several others (e.g.: http://www.argentum.mc/).
    ICAO
    ---------