• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Imprint Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

spywriter

Does anyone know about this agency and its agents?

Last edited by a moderator:

kmblack

Julie Hill (Hill Media) and Stephany Evans (Imprint)

Hi there -

Just discovered Absolute Write - it's just wonderful!

I'm starting to shop my first novel around. Just discovered Julie Hill of Hill Media (CA) and Stephany Evans of Imprint (NY)who sound like a good fit for me (fiction, contemporary, women's, a mix of new age/astrology/mystery/chick lit -- the new age is the tricky part) and wondered if anyone's had any experiences with them/heard anything.

I did check the threads on this site and P&E (Both agencies: "further information unavailable" and both Stephany and Julie have $ next to their name)

Also, if there's anyone out there who knows agents specializing in a women's/new age mix, let me know. Yes I am using P&E, Jeff Herman, Publishers Marketplace, other web resources and this site already... just siftin' through.

Thanks so much!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the "$" indicates they have verifiable sales to legit publishers, so that's a Good Sign. Some vital info to get would be their client list (which hopefully includes people you've heard of), and then verify those books are on shelves.

Best of luck!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Most often, the "Further information unavailable" means that P&E hasn't found an address yet to refer visitors to.

kmblack

Thanks CaoPaux and Dave for your quick responses. Dave, after more digging, I found Julie Hill on publishersmarketplace.com. Here's her listed address for P&E if you want.

1155 Camino Del Mar #530, Del Mar, CA 92014 858 259 2595

Found more info on Stefany Evans at www.imprintagency.com (also an article on AW by Jenna G (duhhh) and her listed info is:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Imprint Agency
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5 West 101st, Suite 8B
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New York, NY 10025
[email protected] [/font]
I continue to dig. Any other comments welcome!

SeattleWriter

Gary Heidt at Imprint Agency

Does anyone have any experience with Gary Heidt at the Imprint Agency?

Please let me know via this thread or PM. Thanks so much.

--Ray

Plix

Registered
Reaction score
kmblack: any news on Hill Media?
Google doesn't give as much info on them as I had hoped unfortunately.

Ashleen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AshleenOGaea.com
Imprint Agency or Meredith Phelan

Hullo!

I'm wondering if anyone has anything to say about Imprint Agency and/or about Meredith Phelan, who now works there. (Her listing on P&E is outdated.) Neither has any warnings on P&E.

Ashleen

Stuart Hades

Registered
Reaction score
Meredith Phelan once led me a merry dance, after my work was edited by a well known individual ( a fact that I did not mention) I was told that my work needed complete rehaul.

Now if it had my draft or my edit, I could have understood, but alas it was not.

The offer was quite good though, a remortage and I could cover the costs.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Imprint seems to have legit sales to houses that both require agents and also accept unagented manuscripts.

BethPups

Gary Heidt of Imprint Agency

I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with this agent. I've heard some unflattering things about Gary Heidt that bothered me, including that he provides gratuitously mean feedback, even going so far as to mock and hoot at the writer's prose in the margins of the manuscript before mailing it back. This sounds like biz as usual in Los Angeles, but not on the east coast. As a whole, Imprint Agency has a great rep, but not all agents are nice people. Thanks.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
He rejected my query, but he gave me a compliment on the writing, and he took the time to provide a suggestion to improve my first sentence. So my experience was positive but brief.

Bleak House Books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bleakhousebooks.com
I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with this agent. I've heard some unflattering things about Gary Heidt that bothered me, including that he provides gratuitously mean feedback, even going so far as to mock and hoot at the writer's prose in the margins of the manuscript before mailing it back. This sounds like biz as usual in Los Angeles, but not on the east coast. As a whole, Imprint Agency has a great rep, but not all agents are nice people. Thanks.

I've always known Gary to be a nice person, very professional. Sounds to me like an author got mad because of rejection. Therein lies the dilema that many agents and editors find themselves in--provide no/little feedback and prospective authors have questions about why they were rejected. Provide too much feedback and they feel attacked. A no win situation.

Levi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levibrackman.com
I've always known Gary to be a nice person, very professional. Sounds to me like an author got mad because of rejection. Therein lies the dilema that many agents and editors find themselves in--provide no/little feedback and prospective authors have questions about why they were rejected. Provide too much feedback and they feel attacked. A no win situation.

I second this. Gary is my agent and he is a very nice and professional person. I highly recommend him if you are able to get him to represent your work.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I have a partial out with Gary Heidt right now. I'll let you know if he mocks me gratuitously. ;)

Rikitikitavi

Registered
Reaction score
Imprint has now merged with Peter Rubie's agency. It is now called FinePrint Lit. Mgmt. June Clark, Rubie's senior associate, is already announcing it on her own personal webpage www.juneclark.com

Mandy

limbo.
Registered
Reaction score
A few months back, Gary had my manuscript but ultimately passed because of the genre. He was, in my opinion, kind and professional. He even emailed me two rejections with valuable feedback (although that may be because he forgot he mailed the first one!)

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
A few months back, Gary had my manuscript but ultimately passed because of the genre. He was, in my opinion, kind and professional. He even emailed me two rejections with valuable feedback (although that may be because he forgot he mailed the first one!)

It's good to know he thinks it important enough to make certain he mails it. And welcome! :welcome:

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I'll give my thumbs up to Janet Reid. I queried her about my comedy novel. She passed after reading a partial, but was nice enough to send a personalized response and even answered a question I had. Very quick turnaround too.

I didn't realize she was in the same agency as Gary. I think the FineLit thing might have thrown me for a loop there.

twdbrd

Registered
Reaction score
Imprint Agency = Fineprint Literary Management

Stephany Evans has been the literary agent of Tito Perdue (Lee, Fields of Asphodel, Sweet-Scented Manuscript, New Austerities, Opportunities in Alabama Agriculture) for some years now. She is a marvelous agent - energetic, hard-working, full of helpful tactics for writers, and has great literary taste. Perdue wouldn't work with any other agent. She is now president of Fineprint Literary Management.

RAMHALite

Registered
Reaction score
Straight-talking, Not "Mean"

Gary is representing a nonfiction project of mine. While he can sometimes be very direct in what he says, I have never experienced any of his comments as mean spirited. Gary has been consistently helpful, insightful in his suggestions, and professional in all of his interactions with me.

--RAMHALite

Status
Not open for further replies.