The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Imprint Agency

spywriter

The Imprint Agency

Does anyone know about this agency and its agents?
    Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 07-13-2005 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Changed title

kmblack

Julie Hill (Hill Media) and Stephany Evans (Imprint)

Hi there -

Just discovered Absolute Write - it's just wonderful!

I'm starting to shop my first novel around. Just discovered Julie Hill of Hill Media (CA) and Stephany Evans of Imprint (NY)who sound like a good fit for me (fiction, contemporary, women's, a mix of new age/astrology/mystery/chick lit -- the new age is the tricky part) and wondered if anyone's had any experiences with them/heard anything.

I did check the threads on this site and P&E (Both agencies: "further information unavailable" and both Stephany and Julie have $ next to their name)

Also, if there's anyone out there who knows agents specializing in a women's/new age mix, let me know. Yes I am using P&E, Jeff Herman, Publishers Marketplace, other web resources and this site already... just siftin' through.

Thanks so much!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Well, the "$" indicates they have verifiable sales to legit publishers, so that's a Good Sign. Some vital info to get would be their client list (which hopefully includes people you've heard of), and then verify those books are on shelves.

Best of luck!
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Most often, the "Further information unavailable" means that P&E hasn't found an address yet to refer visitors to.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

kmblack
    Thanks CaoPaux and Dave for your quick responses. Dave, after more digging, I found Julie Hill on publishersmarketplace.com. Here's her listed address for P&E if you want.

1155 Camino Del Mar #530, Del Mar, CA 92014 858 259 2595

Found more info on Stefany Evans at www.imprintagency.com (also an article on AW by Jenna G (duhhh) and her listed info is:
    Imprint Agency
    5 West 101st, Suite 8B
    New York, NY 10025
    imprintagency.@earthlink.net

I continue to dig. Any other comments welcome!

SeattleWriter

Gary Heidt at Imprint Agency

Does anyone have any experience with Gary Heidt at the Imprint Agency?

Please let me know via this thread or PM. Thanks so much.

--Ray

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    kmblack: any news on Hill Media?
    Google doesn't give as much info on them as I had hoped unfortunately.

figuring it all out

Question Imprint Agency or Meredith Phelan

Hullo!

I'm wondering if anyone has anything to say about Imprint Agency and/or about Meredith Phelan, who now works there. (Her listing on P&E is outdated.) Neither has any warnings on P&E.

Ashleen

Meredith Phelan once led me a merry dance, after my work was edited by a well known individual ( a fact that I did not mention) I was told that my work needed complete rehaul.

Now if it had my draft or my edit, I could have understood, but alas it was not.

The offer was quite good though, a remortage and I could cover the costs.

I Heart Mac Absolute Sage Lauri B's Avatar
    Imprint seems to have legit sales to houses that both require agents and also accept unagented manuscripts.

BethPups

Gary Heidt of Imprint Agency

I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with this agent. I've heard some unflattering things about Gary Heidt that bothered me, including that he provides gratuitously mean feedback, even going so far as to mock and hoot at the writer's prose in the margins of the manuscript before mailing it back. This sounds like biz as usual in Los Angeles, but not on the east coast. As a whole, Imprint Agency has a great rep, but not all agents are nice people. Thanks.

Absolutely Fazed
    He rejected my query, but he gave me a compliment on the writing, and he took the time to provide a suggestion to improve my first sentence. So my experience was positive but brief.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by BethPups View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with this agent. I've heard some unflattering things about Gary Heidt that bothered me, including that he provides gratuitously mean feedback, even going so far as to mock and hoot at the writer's prose in the margins of the manuscript before mailing it back. This sounds like biz as usual in Los Angeles, but not on the east coast. As a whole, Imprint Agency has a great rep, but not all agents are nice people. Thanks.
    I've always known Gary to be a nice person, very professional. Sounds to me like an author got mad because of rejection. Therein lies the dilema that many agents and editors find themselves in--provide no/little feedback and prospective authors have questions about why they were rejected. Provide too much feedback and they feel attacked. A no win situation.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleak House Books View Post
    I've always known Gary to be a nice person, very professional. Sounds to me like an author got mad because of rejection. Therein lies the dilema that many agents and editors find themselves in--provide no/little feedback and prospective authors have questions about why they were rejected. Provide too much feedback and they feel attacked. A no win situation.
    I second this. Gary is my agent and he is a very nice and professional person. I highly recommend him if you are able to get him to represent your work.
    Visit me at : www.LeviBrackman.com
    Buy my book here

I have a partial out with Gary Heidt right now. I'll let you know if he mocks me gratuitously.
    YOUNG ADULT BOOKS:
    BREAK--Simon Pulse, 2009 BUY IT

INVINCIBLE SUMMER--Simon Pulse, 2011 BUY IT
    GONE, GONE, GONE--Coming APRIL 17th, 2012, Simon Pulse BUY IT
    TEETH--Coming JANUARY 1ST, 2013, Simon Pulse
    --
    MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:
    ZOMBIE TAG--Coming DECEMBER 20th, 2011, Roaring Brook Press BUY IT

MARCO IMPOSSIBLE--Coming MARCH 2013, Roaring Brook Press

Imprint has now merged with Peter Rubie's agency. It is now called FinePrint Lit. Mgmt. June Clark, Rubie's senior associate, is already announcing it on her own personal webpage www.juneclark.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Thanks for the update!

Future website: http://www.fineprintlit.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

A few months back, Gary had my manuscript but ultimately passed because of the genre. He was, in my opinion, kind and professional. He even emailed me two rejections with valuable feedback (although that may be because he forgot he mailed the first one!)
    "If I chance to talk a little wild, forgive me." -Shakespeare

practical experience, FTW BarbJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    A few months back, Gary had my manuscript but ultimately passed because of the genre. He was, in my opinion, kind and professional. He even emailed me two rejections with valuable feedback (although that may be because he forgot he mailed the first one!)
    It's good to know he thinks it important enough to make certain he mails it. And welcome!

I'll give my thumbs up to Janet Reid. I queried her about my comedy novel. She passed after reading a partial, but was nice enough to send a personalized response and even answered a question I had. Very quick turnaround too.

I didn't realize she was in the same agency as Gary. I think the FineLit thing might have thrown me for a loop there.

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    janet only recently joined Imprint, I believe. and now they've merged with Peter Rubie, which is a very reputable agency.
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Absolutely Fazed
    Janet joined Imprint sometime around January or so. And yes, she's fantastic.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate View Post
    Janet joined Imprint sometime around January or so. And yes, she's fantastic.
    Just popping in to say that from a publisher's standpoint, Janet is a dream to work with. That's vitally important to the author.

Imprint Agency = Fineprint Literary Management

Stephany Evans has been the literary agent of Tito Perdue (Lee, Fields of Asphodel, Sweet-Scented Manuscript, New Austerities, Opportunities in Alabama Agriculture) for some years now. She is a marvelous agent - energetic, hard-working, full of helpful tactics for writers, and has great literary taste. Perdue wouldn't work with any other agent. She is now president of Fineprint Literary Management.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin RAMHALite's Avatar

Thumbs up Straight-talking, Not "Mean"

Quote Originally Posted by BethPups View Post
    Gary is representing a nonfiction project of mine. While he can sometimes be very direct in what he says, I have never experienced any of his comments as mean spirited. Gary has been consistently helpful, insightful in his suggestions, and professional in all of his interactions with me.

--RAMHALite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast