Uh, oh, it's Friday the 13th Anybody worried?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
It used to be howie's lucky day, but I don't know about now. I have mixed feelings about it. What about you?

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Just stay away from black cats. And ladders. And mirrors. And salt.

You'll be safe. ;)

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was born on a Friday the 13th, so it's always been lucky for me.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason to party!

Jello shots-anyone?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really superstitious, so I hate Friday the 13th. And my friend Tom in Iraq is headed out on a convoy today, so I'm understandably more nervous about the day than usual.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It's just another day to me. Though I just stubbed my toe and it hurts like hell. That was a stupid bloody place to leave a gun...

What's the source of "unlucky number 13"?

I sway towards the Neanderthal theory.

Anyone else got ideas/theories/incontravertible facts?

-Derek

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's just another day to me. Though I just stubbed my toe and it hurts like hell. That was a stupid bloody place to leave a gun...

What's the source of "unlucky number 13"?

I sway towards the Neanderthal theory.

Anyone else got ideas/theories/incontravertible facts?

-Derek

The number thirteen is feared mostly because it is the first of the "teen" numbers. It thus follows that people fear the number 13 because they fear teenagers. More specifically, they fear raising them and / or interacting with them and / or pimple-juice.

This makes 20, incidentally, the most auspicious of all numbers, 12 the second deadliest, and 113 the third deadliest.

#E#T#A#

What is the Neanderthal theory?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
What is the Neanderthal theory?
Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic. Tho' I'm glad you asked. :)

Neanderthals were Moon worshippers (the lunar cycle = 13 full moons each year).

If Cro-Magnon, who superseded Neanderthal, warred with Neanderthal (and that's the tough-to-prove part, we're talking 35,000-40,000 years ago, video evidence is pretty thin on the ground :)) then the lunar cycle could have become a symbol of bad luck for Neanderthal's enemies.

Given that some of us are likely descended from the Cro-Magnon hominid (if you believe in evolution), triskaidekaphobia could be bred into us... much in the same way that fear of spiders is instinctual for many because our ancestors once battled with the giant spiders that ruled the Earth, between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas. But that is a tale for another day....

-Derek

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic. Tho' I'm glad you asked. :)

[SNIP]

-Derek

That made my night. :)

I wonder though: what evidence do we have that Neanderthal applied any special significance to the moon?

Also, hasn't new research indicated that Nature killed Neanderthals off, not Cro-Magnons? Something about not adapting well to climate shifts?

Also, even if there WAS a war, why should a cro-magnon divide, in their minds, these attacks neatly into sets of 13? Is there evidence that they had complicated ways of measuring time? For triskaidekaphobia to be ingrained in our DNA, as you're suggesting, Neanderthals would have had to have attacked us in sets of 13 for millions and millions of years. And why would the 14th attack be counted as the 1st attack of a new set by Cro-Magnon man? Wouldn't all these attacks just bleed into one another in our ancestors' minds?

triskaidekaphobia... triskaidekaphobia... triskaidekaphobia... must remember this word on Monday. I'm trying to find an English word she doesn't recognize.

Edit:

Random Movie Trivia!

In what movie is the following factoid presented?

"If spiders had evolved to be the size of housecats, humanity would be extinct."

(Not verbatim. Google-fu is cheating!)

Last edited:

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Apparently Neanderthal women wrote clay tablet diaries that complained about their husbands going out with the boys to get squiffed on mead every month, and staggering home at dawn to demand a mammoth steak breakfast. This is all pretty well documented. <whistles nonchalantly and shuffles off>

"new research" usually translates into otherwise unemployable scientists desperately looking for next year's funding. Salt is bad for you! No, we've changed our minds, salt's OK! No, salt is bad for you! Eh, shut up and pass the friggin salt...

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just stay away from people wearing hockey masks and you'll be fine.

Uh, oh. I have tickets to the Predators / Sharks game tonight. I'm in trouble . . .

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Derek and Bart have taken all the fun out of Friday the 13th by turning it into a freakin' history lesson.

There's 5 minutes of my life I can't get back...

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Not Neccessarily!
Since in the first one, the killer wasn't the kid in the mask it was his mother. In a frumpy Jumper.

So stay away from hockey masks and Wooly jumpers... hmmm.. basically, avoid ice and you should be fine.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Derek and Bart have taken all the fun out of Friday the 13th by turning it into a freakin' history lesson.
There's 5 minutes of my life I can't get back...
Don't pretend it didn't spark off your secret fantasy about being hit over the head with a club and dragged into a cave for afternoon delight.

-Derek

Reaction score
It comes from the Last Supper. Supposedly Christ sat down with his twelve apostles on a Friday, which made a 'party of thirteen', but Judas left before the 'last supper' arrangement was instituted, thereby falsifying the fear of Friday the 13ths; it should be a fear of Friday the 12ths.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
It comes from the Last Supper. Supposedly Christ sat down with his twelve apostles on a Friday, which made a 'party of thirteen', but Judas left before the 'last supper' arrangement was instituted, thereby falsifying the fear of Friday the 13ths; it should be a fear of Friday the 12ths.
That's what I've always understood about 13-phobia. But I like the one about fear of teenagers better.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Damn...are you sure we've never met? ;)
Truthfully I'm not too sure what to say to a woman who thinks there's a high statistical probability that every man she talks to online is one of her exes. :)

-Derek

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I accidentally stapled the middle and ring fingers of my right hand together on a Friday 13th once. Needless to say, I don't play with staplers anymore.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Friday 13th refered to the day on which the sealed orders from Pope Clement V were opened giving instructions for the Knights Templar to be rounded up. (Friday 13th October 1307).

I'm not a Templar (couldn't do the whole celibacy thing) so I should be alright.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Uh, oh. I have tickets to the Predators / Sharks game tonight. I'm in trouble . . .

Is this the one where they throw catfish out on the ice?

I'd be afraid of that, unless I had some cajun spices and a good appetite :D

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Friday the 13th...my lucky day!

For example: My alarm woke me up this morning. I remembered to buy coffee yesterday. The receptionist got in early and ate all of the Godiva chocolates that came in yesterday..(ok...she saved me ONE...which is kinda bad luck cause I'm trying to lose pounds...but she ate the rest-good!)
It will only get better. It isn't noon yet!

Whoo Hooo!!!!