The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Hourglass Books

megara133

Hourglass Books

Hi everybody. I'm new--was directed here by a helpful member of [link=http://evolutionwriters.com/forums]Evo[/link]. I'm thinking of submitting a short story for inclusion in an anthology by [link=http://hourglassbooks.com/submissions.html]Hourglass Books[/link], but having never submitted to an anthology before, I don't know if their policies are standard practice. In particular, the "no set deadline" thing worries me, as does the "we have no control over how much you'll be paid." Am I right to be wary?

Thanks very much for any info you can provide!

Maryn

Eek!

I've never heard of Hourglass, which in itself means nothing (there's a lot of publishers I've never heard of, I'm sure), but the lack of a deadline and no rate of pay smells like fish that's been sitting out...

I'm curious if anybody here has any knowledge, one way or the other.

Maryn, keeping an eye on this thread

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Hourglass Books

Anthologist of literary short stories. No pay, royalties paid "as determined by the publisher". http://hourglassbooks.com/submissions.html
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

practical experience, FTW
    I've been in contact with the publisher as late as January of this year. At that time, they said "it will still be a month or so before we start the reading period. we always give priority to other publishers who are looking at the same stories, since we happily include previously published stories."

The month or so has come and gone. I'm considering writing them again or just writing it off. My submission is having its first birthday! Blow out the candle and move on, I guess.

They aren't scammers, just disorganized micropress. The publisher ran for office last year and nothing happened at all with any of the books supposedly coming out. They do have one published book, and two "Coming in the Spring." It still shows open submissions for Occupational Hazards.

Website's stuck in 2007.

Re: Gina Frangello's other ventures (Other Voices Books and Magazine), OV Books is now an imprint of Dzanc Books, where she is still editor, and OV Mag is closed.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 01-18-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: "her" who?
    ICAO
    ---------