• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Chivalry Bookshelf

Chacounne

Small niche publisher, started in '92, with proven sales, saying this to their resellers:

Books available expedited directly from us or from our
distributor, Baker & Taylor
Sliding discount schedule based on total books in the
order
Payment via invoice (with account), or (coming soon)
online via PayPal or credit card
Free (book rate) shipping on orders over $500
5% bonus for prepaid orders on forthcoming titles
Cooperative marketing programs available
High-resolution Adobe .pdf pre-release flyers & title
artwork
Very early advance email notification of new titles &
recently signed authors

Thanks,
Chacounne

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Publishers terms to retailer

Certainly seems reasonable. Anyone?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of books do they publish?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
No guarantees, but so far nothing's setting off my alarms. That initial stack of information you quoted sounds pretty darn booksellerish.

What kind of terms are they offering their authors?

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Chivalry Bookshelf

I know this is an old thread, but I've been debating with myself whether to ask about Chivalry Bookshelf, and I saw they don't appear in the index yet.
I'm in the SCA, which is CB's target market, and I know a few people who have published with them, or considered publishing with them. I've heard a few things about the publisher that make me wary, but it's all hearsay and rumour.
If anyone has solid information, maybe they could post it? I'm hesitant to mention names because I haven't been asked to bring this up. AW not having come up in conversation at the time, I have to assume everything was said in confidence.

Anyway, this is what I've heard:
The contract gives the publisher all rights, and has no reversion clause. However, it can be negotiated and has been - provided the author is savvy enough to do it.
Authors not being paid royalties, or very delayed payment. Book delivery is also slow, but this is probably due to overseas printing and shipping and Customs delays.
One book has had a website up for a year and a half, but the book is not yet available.
One author, who has had books published by a commercial publisher, decided, after negotiations and delays, not to go with CB.
Another decided to go elsewhere after some museums refused permission for illustrations because of the publisher.
The owner has engaged in sharp practice in his other enterprises, and this has caused some ill-feeling which may affect (justifiably or not) the esteem of CB in the SCA.

I don't think there's conscious scamming going on, but the owner has a history of crises that cause delays or require funds going from one of his enterprises to meet a shortfall in another. Anyone considering submitting should probably be aware that problems occur.
-Barbara

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Thanks for this info, Barbara. Everything you cite is a serious problem, and taken all together, should make anyone who is thinking of going with this company very, very cautious.

- Victoria

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Bringing an old thread up, but for reason: a number of the former authors and former partners of Chivalry Bookshelf are speaking out on the Armor Archive forum here. Specifics are given.

ETA: and may I highly recommend 'Lady Charlotte's posts on p.4, particularly the long post halfway down the page, where she begins: 'Have you ever drawn intense scrutiny from a research librarian before?'

-Barbara *fangirling Lady Charlotte*

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's a thread and a half. And yes: Lady Charlotte is wonderful in that post.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Wow. Those are some serious allegations--enough for me to start a file, though I haven't gotten any direct complaints about Chivalry Bookshelf.

If anyone seeing this has access to that forum, would you please consider posting Writer Beware's contact info?

- Victoria

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Wow. Those are some serious allegations--enough for me to start a file, though I haven't gotten any direct complaints about Chivalry Bookshelf.

If anyone seeing this has access to that forum, would you please consider posting Writer Beware's contact info?

- Victoria
My husband is on there regularly, I'll ask him to post it. Thank you!
-Barbara

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Update: Writer Beware's contact info has been posted to Armour Archive and to Sword Forum International. An indirect benefit--one of the regulars at Armour Archive will be passing it on to some aspiring writers he knows.

It strikes me that Mr. Price is relying on something of the same dynamic as scammers who target the religious market--the belief that everyone within the community espouses the same ideals, and the fear that exposing misdeeds brings the community into disrepute rather than the misdoer.

-Barbara

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
And once again I haul this thread up from the depths. A settlement has been reached with a number of the Chivalry Bookshelf authors. Those have signed non-disclosure agreements. In one case the legal situation was too complicated (foreign co-author) and that author discusses the process here on the Armour Archives.

It's pretty bad. The business name is so ironic at this point it should be singeing the screen as I type it.

-Barbara