The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Chivalry Bookshelf

Chacounne

[Publisher] Chivalry Bookshelf

Small niche publisher, started in '92, with proven sales, saying this to their resellers:

Books available expedited directly from us or from our
    distributor, Baker & Taylor
    Sliding discount schedule based on total books in the
    order
    Payment via invoice (with account), or (coming soon)
    online via PayPal or credit card
    Free (book rate) shipping on orders over $500
    5% bonus for prepaid orders on forthcoming titles
    Cooperative marketing programs available
    High-resolution Adobe .pdf pre-release flyers & title
    artwork
    Very early advance email notification of new titles &
    recently signed authors

Thanks,
    Chacounne

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Publishers terms to retailer

Certainly seems reasonable. Anyone?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    What kind of books do they publish?

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi
    What kind of books do they publish?
    I googled it. It's Chivalry Books. Arms & armor, medieval history, martial arts.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    No guarantees, but so far nothing's setting off my alarms. That initial stack of information you quoted sounds pretty darn booksellerish.

What kind of terms are they offering their authors?

Chivalry Bookshelf

I know this is an old thread, but I've been debating with myself whether to ask about Chivalry Bookshelf, and I saw they don't appear in the index yet.
    I'm in the SCA, which is CB's target market, and I know a few people who have published with them, or considered publishing with them. I've heard a few things about the publisher that make me wary, but it's all hearsay and rumour.
    If anyone has solid information, maybe they could post it? I'm hesitant to mention names because I haven't been asked to bring this up. AW not having come up in conversation at the time, I have to assume everything was said in confidence.

Anyway, this is what I've heard:
    The contract gives the publisher all rights, and has no reversion clause. However, it can be negotiated and has been - provided the author is savvy enough to do it.
    Authors not being paid royalties, or very delayed payment. Book delivery is also slow, but this is probably due to overseas printing and shipping and Customs delays.
    One book has had a website up for a year and a half, but the book is not yet available.
    One author, who has had books published by a commercial publisher, decided, after negotiations and delays, not to go with CB.
    Another decided to go elsewhere after some museums refused permission for illustrations because of the publisher.
    The owner has engaged in sharp practice in his other enterprises, and this has caused some ill-feeling which may affect (justifiably or not) the esteem of CB in the SCA.

I don't think there's conscious scamming going on, but the owner has a history of crises that cause delays or require funds going from one of his enterprises to meet a shortfall in another. Anyone considering submitting should probably be aware that problems occur.
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

the Bruin of Tomorrow™ Atomic Bear's Avatar
    What is the SCA?
    Brian Kolm
    Atomic Bear Press - Comics for the "big kid" in all of us.

Home of "Beyond the Great Chimney" a fantasy comic book adventure about taking life by the horns. Featuring painted art by Brian Kolm.

ATOMICBEARPRESS.com

Hand? What hand? AW Moderator Ol' Fashioned Girl's Avatar
    http://www.sca.org/

Society for Creative Anachronism: "The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe."
    aka: OFG

Click us... come on! Click us. You want to. You know you do.

Society for Creative Anachronism. At least, that's my assumption.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Thanks for this info, Barbara. Everything you cite is a serious problem, and taken all together, should make anyone who is thinking of going with this company very, very cautious.

- Victoria

Bringing an old thread up, but for reason: a number of the former authors and former partners of Chivalry Bookshelf are speaking out on the Armor Archive forum here. Specifics are given.

ETA: and may I highly recommend 'Lady Charlotte's posts on p.4, particularly the long post halfway down the page, where she begins: 'Have you ever drawn intense scrutiny from a research librarian before?'

-Barbara *fangirling Lady Charlotte*
    Last edited by batgirl; 02-26-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: citing a takedown of near-HapiSofi quality
    will crit for rep points
    okay, I have a blog

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Wow, that's a thread and a half. And yes: Lady Charlotte is wonderful in that post.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Wow. Those are some serious allegations--enough for me to start a file, though I haven't gotten any direct complaints about Chivalry Bookshelf.

If anyone seeing this has access to that forum, would you please consider posting Writer Beware's contact info?

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    Wow, that's a thread and a half. And yes: Lady Charlotte is wonderful in that post.

I want to marry her.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    Wow. Those are some serious allegations--enough for me to start a file, though I haven't gotten any direct complaints about Chivalry Bookshelf.

If anyone seeing this has access to that forum, would you please consider posting Writer Beware's contact info?

- Victoria
    My husband is on there regularly, I'll ask him to post it. Thank you!
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    okay, I have a blog

Update: Writer Beware's contact info has been posted to Armour Archive and to Sword Forum International. An indirect benefit--one of the regulars at Armour Archive will be passing it on to some aspiring writers he knows.

It strikes me that Mr. Price is relying on something of the same dynamic as scammers who target the religious market--the belief that everyone within the community espouses the same ideals, and the fear that exposing misdeeds brings the community into disrepute rather than the misdoer.

-Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    okay, I have a blog

And once again I haul this thread up from the depths. A settlement has been reached with a number of the Chivalry Bookshelf authors. Those have signed non-disclosure agreements. In one case the legal situation was too complicated (foreign co-author) and that author discusses the process here on the Armour Archives.

It's pretty bad. The business name is so ironic at this point it should be singeing the screen as I type it.

-Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    okay, I have a blog

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The remaining books are available through http://revival.us/chivalrybookshelftitles.aspx.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: