• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Asylett Press

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything positive or negative about this publisher?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
They're really new and have only three books out so far. Strictly e-pubbing and publishing so far only in PDF and HTML, that means no listing on Amazon as Amazon only handles mobipocket e-books.

See if their books are listed on any of the larger e-book sales sites like Fictionwise.

I'm not a big fan of their cover art.

If you want to drop me an e-mail or IM about who I find to be a good e-pub go ahead. Check with Veinglory, too.

Regards,
Scott

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
I think their also into the paperback publishing now to, because their website says their going to be offering their books in paperback as of March.

It doesn't bother me that their new, just that they are an honest company.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, their very interested in my fantasy story. I've gotten tons of rejection, and am thinking about just going with them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest talking to people who have published with them direct via email to see how they feel about their treatment and sales. Just so you know exactly what it will be like. They have been around long enough that is it odd just how under the radar they are. So there may be some similar by more active presses you could try first? Swimming Kangaroo perhaps?

Last edited:

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I will look into that.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From Ralan's site (scroll down a bit):

e-books; all genres, no erotica or gay/lesbian (fic/nonfic). Pay: 40% gross. Words: <150k. RT: 4-6 weeks. Reprints: query. E-subs: e-query. JoAnne May, Senior Editor

The site itself (the html version):

Asylett Press

Phooey. I can't stand flash intros; just get me to the homepage!

~Nancy

Last edited:

sicilian

Hello!

I'm J.A. Cerullo, one of the three authors currently published through Asylett Press.

I'm the newest of the three, so my input probably isn't as valuable as the others (it's hard to evaluate how they're doing with marketing and sales, as we're still pretty early in the process), but for what it's worth, I haven't had any troubles with Asylett.

They're a new publisher, so one drawback to them is communication can sometimes be slow. That being said, they've never failed to get back to me on anything I've asked them, even if it takes a little longer than usual :)

What drew me to them really was their flexibility. I'm a new author (Sanctuary being my debut), which makes it hard enough to find a taker, but my book is also novella length (92 pages), which makes it infinitely harder. They were willing to work with me and we're working on some more novellas to release in conjunction with Sanctuary later on in the year.

The above poster was right. They have recently signed a deal with Lightning Source Printing to provide their books in paperback format. I'm not sure the details of this exactly (Sanctuary won't be available in print until we finish the trio), but the option will be available soon as I understand it.

The cover art is rather simple, but they keep you involved in it, which makes up for that. You send them a description of what you envision, they have it made, then you make suggestions on how to make the draft better.

So, overall, for a young rookie like myself, they were a perfect choice. They are an honest publisher, and everyone there who I've been in contact with has been terrific. I would say, if they're interested in your story, you've got nothing to lose :)

Hope this helps!

Josh

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
That helps alot; thank you very much:)

Hello!

I'm J.A. Cerullo, one of the three authors currently published through Asylett Press.

I'm the newest of the three, so my input probably isn't as valuable as the others (it's hard to evaluate how they're doing with marketing and sales, as we're still pretty early in the process), but for what it's worth, I haven't had any troubles with Asylett.

They're a new publisher, so one drawback to them is communication can sometimes be slow. That being said, they've never failed to get back to me on anything I've asked them, even if it takes a little longer than usual :)

What drew me to them really was their flexibility. I'm a new author (Sanctuary being my debut), which makes it hard enough to find a taker, but my book is also novella length (92 pages), which makes it infinitely harder. They were willing to work with me and we're working on some more novellas to release in conjunction with Sanctuary later on in the year.

The above poster was right. They have recently signed a deal with Lightning Source Printing to provide their books in paperback format. I'm not sure the details of this exactly (Sanctuary won't be available in print until we finish the trio), but the option will be available soon as I understand it.

The cover art is rather simple, but they keep you involved in it, which makes up for that. You send them a description of what you envision, they have it made, then you make suggestions on how to make the draft better.

So, overall, for a young rookie like myself, they were a perfect choice. They are an honest publisher, and everyone there who I've been in contact with has been terrific. I would say, if they're interested in your story, you've got nothing to lose :)

Hope this helps!

Josh

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
FYI, I just inquired, and they are also open to taking novella length works -- for download or CD format -- but they are also looking at shorter length novellas for a print anthology.

Very prompt, pleasant and professional reply to my email question.

Patricia Lieb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
liebbooks.com
I just signed a contract for Asylett to pulish one of my novels in e-book form. I rejected a POD hard copy, as the company quoted a set-up fee for that and I don't want to pay at this time. Asylett seems OK to me.

Kris Ashton

Lurking in the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kris-ashton.wix.com
I just signed a contract with Asylett too (hi Patricia, nice to make your acquaintance!). After much soul searching, I decided to go ahead with a print version of my book because a) Asylett didn't try to force it on me and b) I thought it might help with promotion.

But as everyone above has mentioned, Asylett have been very professional in their dealings.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Their submission process says they will contact you in about 60 days. They were very interested in mine. It's been a week past 60 days now, and I hope I did alright in e-mailing them and inquiring on the status of my submission, but it's been almost 3 days now since I sent it.

I am crossing my fingers, because I do like them alot as a publisher.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Their submission process says they will contact you in about 60 days. They were very interested in mine. It's been a week past 60 days now, and I hope I did alright in e-mailing them and inquiring on the status of my submission, but it's been almost 3 days now since I sent it.

I am crossing my fingers, because I do like them alot as a publisher.
Any reply yet?

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they replied and told me that my manuscript was with a reader right now. They would let me know as soon as a publication decision has been made. It's almost 90 days past their 60 day review process now; hopefully that's a good thing.

Last edited:

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Yes, they replied and told me that my manuscript was with a reader right now. They would let me know as soon as a publication decision has been made. It's almost 90 days past their 60 day review process now; hopefully that's a good thing.
Being considered is great! And it sounds like they're taking it very seriously. Keeping fingers crossed for you and definitely keep us posted!

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, and I indeed will keep you posted.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
[QUOTE=Kris Ashton;1402123]I just signed a contract with Asylett too (hi Patricia, nice to make your acquaintance!). After much soul searching, I decided to go ahead with a print version of my book because a) Asylett didn't try to force it on me and b) I thought it might help with promotion.

Ok, I might be a bit dense here, so if I'm wrong, please forgive me.

I have also been invited to make a full submission. I'm not really interested in POD or e-publishing, but the paperback issues caught my eye. After reading the above, I'm starting to think that those self-same paperback issues may be a self-publishing deal.

Could any of you please confirm or correct me on this matter? I don't want to waste their or my time if that's the case.

Last edited:

John Karr

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnakarr.com
[ I'm not really interested in POD or e-publishing, but the paperback issues caught my eye. After reading the above, I'm starting to think that those self-same paperback issues may be a self-publishing deal.

Could any of you please confirm or correct me on this matter? I don't want to waste their or my time if that's the case.

Hey there,

I recently signed with Asylett Press to publish my medical thriller. It is scheduled to hit the markets October and November of 2008. There are three formats: electronic download, CD electronic, and trade paperback. The trade paperback is via Publish On Demand (POD) but is not funded by the writer. Asylett pays, therefore it is not self-publishing.

Many small presses use POD technology instead of a print run that creates inventory.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've seen a recent copy of Ayslett's contract. Much of it is OK, but there are some nonstandard things:

- The publisher has the right to adapt and modify the work at will.

- Authors can terminate the contract at will prior to publication--but if they do that after editing has begun, there's a $200 kill fee.

- The option clause gives the publisher first right of refusal on any prequels, sequels or followups if the book is a series work. The wording of the clause suggests that writers would have to submit any followups for first refusal, rather than just the next followup.

- The indeminity clause requires writers to indemnify the publisher not just against breaches of the writer's warranties, but against any matter "arising directly or indirectly from the Work or this Agreement." Probably a moot point with a small press, but that's pretty punitive.

- The publisher can assign its rights and obligations to other parties without limit, and there's no wording that requires it to notify the author.

- Victoria

Kris Ashton

Lurking in the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kris-ashton.wix.com
Hey there,

I recently signed with Asylett Press to publish my medical thriller. It is scheduled to hit the markets October and November of 2008. There are three formats: electronic download, CD electronic, and trade paperback. The trade paperback is via Publish On Demand (POD) but is not funded by the writer. Asylett pays, therefore it is not self-publishing.

Many small presses use POD technology instead of a print run that creates inventory.

There was originally a small setup fee for paperback publishing, however Asylett later chose to waive this because many writers' organisations viewed it as vanity publishing.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Maybe this sort of thing doesn't bother anyone else, but as someone trying to find books on their site it really bothers me. To read any section of information, to see even one row of books, you have to scroll right to finish the first sentence, then left to start the next sentence. Generally when I run into this I don't bother to read the site. The web is a big place and there are website that don't make it difficult.

Of course if anyone wants to tell me my monitor is too small on on a wide screen monitor the page can be read without scrolling back and forth go ahead. Anyone? Didn't think so.

I just don't understand why webmasters do this.

Stlight

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this sort of thing doesn't bother anyone else, but as someone trying to find books on their site it really bothers me. To read any section of information, to see even one row of books, you have to scroll right to finish the first sentence, then left to start the next sentence. Generally when I run into this I don't bother to read the site. The web is a big place and there are website that don't make it difficult.

Of course if anyone wants to tell me my monitor is too small on on a wide screen monitor the page can be read without scrolling back and forth go ahead. Anyone? Didn't think so.

I just don't understand why webmasters do this.

Stlight

It's the fact they're using frames. With frames you have to be a little more careful on formatting or you get the scrolling that you're encountering (I just popped by there, and it's scrolling for me too). People used to use frames to make the site load faster, but there are better ways to do that now. I generally stay away from frames in my websites, they're a hassle. CSS files are the way to go, and much easier to manage. I also don't like that some of their links opens a new page instead of into the frame. Asylett, if you're reading I'd be happy to help you fix your site :D