• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

FinePrint Literary Management

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations bluemoonscribe! And thanks for the info on Stephany Evans--she sounds fabulous.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Just an update I saw on Janet's blog. FinePrint has a new agent, Colleen Lindsay, who's actively looking to build her list. She specializes in SF and fantasy and also does graphic novels.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Colleen Lindsay this morning and got a partial request less than an hour later. Good enough so far ;)

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Shady Lane! Let us know what happens.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i e-queried rubie on 2/11.
i think if you don't get a response with 2 to 3
weeks, and "no response" means no interest.
it pretty much means there is no interest.

i will try someone else in the agency
in three weeks time most likely, if rubie
doesn't respond.

Michelle M

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Shady Lane, can I join the requested partial party? Apparently Ms. Lindsay is going to be focusing on partials for the next couple of days, so I expect we'll both hear back shortly.

Rilke Fan

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is a very fast-paced, hard-hitting mystery (I've been reading too much Robert Crais, I think ...) :) and I'm thinking of querying Janet Reid. I also have on my list a bunch of other agents after researching the genre, e.g. Scott Miller at Trident and Nat Sobel, who seem great too.

But one question I'm trying to figure out (forgive the newbie): Victoria Strauss says on her blog that sales are a key signal of legit agents, because it shows they live off commission and not 'reading fees'. Does anyone know if Janet Reid does other work to support herself? She seems very smart on her blog but I looked on Publishers Marketplace and I can only find a handful of sales and most to smallish houses. Anyone have more info on this agent?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
But one question I'm trying to figure out (forgive the newbie): Victoria Strauss says on her blog that sales are a key signal of legit agents, because it shows they live off commission and not 'reading fees'. Does anyone know if Janet Reid does other work to support herself? She seems very smart on her blog but I looked on Publishers Marketplace and I can only find a handful of sales and most to smallish houses. Anyone have more info on this agent?

She absolutely doesn't do "reading fees"--she's one of the most scrupulous folks out there, and incredibly well-respected in the agent community. As to how she pays her bills, I couldn't tell you; maybe a spouse or partner with a good job, maybe good investments made during her years as a book publicist, maybe private income, who knows?

She certainly has a reputation for being interested in quirky, offbeat fiction that has more of a literary bent than most genre stuff. If you're looking for a blockbuster deal from a big publishing house, she may not be the right choice for you.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Does anyone know if Janet Reid does other work to support herself? She seems very smart on her blog but I looked on Publishers Marketplace and I can only find a handful of sales and most to smallish houses. Anyone have more info on this agent?
Janet is an agent. Period. Unimpeachable. I have one of her clients and can say she's one of the most delightful people I've ever worked with.

rachel.moore.hawkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
readingwritingrachel.blogspot.com
I e-queried Colleen Lindsay on February 15 and got a request for a full this afternoon, so an 11 day turn around. I get the impression she's usually a little faster, but she's been bogged down with queries/partials. Her email was really nice, too. Of course, anything that doesn't say "Dear Writer, kindly f#%k off" sounds really nice to me!

Last edited:

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
I e-queried Colleen Lindsay on February 15 and got a request for a full this afternoon, so an 11 day turn around. I get the impression she's usually a little faster, but she's been bogged down with queries/partials. Her email was really nice, too. Of course, anything that doesn't say "Dear Writer, kindly f#%k off" sound really nice to me!

go rachel!!! =D

i queried her on 2/21 but i've lost
faith in major fantasy agents. they
just don't seem to like my novel, it's
not fantasy enough? or too different. boo.

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Janet, to me, seems to be downright fabulous. She kind of gives off that vibe that she's really knowledgeable about the business, knows it forwards and backwards, and is a real hardworker with her clients. To me, that's all I'd like in an agent.