The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 47 12345671126 ... LastLast

Thread: FinePrint Literary Management

Alexis127

Question FinePrint Literary Management

Thinking of pitching this agency. Does anyone have experience with this agency and particular agent?
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 09-19-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Added title to post

Stace001

Re: Anyone know June Clark from Peter Rubie Agency?

Hi Alexis,
    I haven't had anything to do with them myself, however there are a couple of great sites you can check out to do your own research.

agentresearch.com
    Preditors and Editors

Both of these are fabulous sites and the people connected to them will help you out as much or as little as you need. Of course you also have the wonderful people who visit this site regularly who you will give you many great tips and advice. Good luck.

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    P&E recommends agents/agencies based upon sales, longevity, favorable comments by writers who were rejected, and so forth. We don't reveal the entire set of criteria because some scammers have tried to game the system before with semantics.

Needless to say, jerkitude is not one of the criteria that can disqualify an agent or agency. Jerkitude can be any of the following: failing to respond within ten minutes of reading a query or receiving a submission; using blunt language about the writer's head and shoulders; including ads for the agent's own books; scrawling incomprehensible marks on a returned cover letter; being human or nearly so; and so forth.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    Peter Rubie responded to my e-mail query within two days. And he requested a partial from one of my friends.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Elder Scrolls devotee
    Did the people who aren't hearing back from Peter Rubie send by snail mail or email? According to the guidelines on his site, you can send a partial if you query by snail mail.

ETA: Russell Galen never responded to my query (email)

practical experience, FTW Kiva Wolfe's Avatar

PRLit

The Peter Rubie Agency has a fabulous website. You should check it out. There's a complete Bio of June and other agents, including Peter Rubie.

http://www.prlit.com

practical experience, FTW zeprosnepsid's Avatar
    I was recently rejected by her =) But she gave a pretty good explanation. They seem very legit. As others mentioned, check out the websites.
    I am the terror that flaps in the night.

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Angry William Clark Associates

Greetings!
    Of 25 literary agents/agencies I have queried, five have not yet responded. I don't know if they are laggards or lost causes, but I thought I might as well throw out their names to hear what others have to say and/or let others know for future reference:

Willliam Clark Associates -- 8 weeks, 2 e-mails generated generic e-mail receipts

McHugh Literary Agency -- 9 weeks, 2 e-mails, nothing (not usual, I've read)

Dee Mura Literary -- 9 weeks, 2 e-mails, nada (not usual, I've read)

Southern Literary Group -- almost 8 weeks, nothing in the mail

The Vines/James Vine -- 9 weeks, e-mail, no response
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Vines and Clark are very successful, and probably very busy. Worth waiting for.

Dee Mura seems to have a rep for slow turnaround (Writer Beware has received a number of complaints). I think this agency does have a track record, but my impression is it isn't large.

Elisabet McHugh asks clients to provide multiple full ms. copies upfront--sometimes as many as 30, which is way more than would be needed, even for an auction. Again, she has what appears to be a smallish track record, but I've received and seen a number of complaints about inefficiency and nonresponsiveness. Several clients have reported no response despite repeated attempts at contact, and say they were unable to get info about where their mss. were submitted or whether/how they were rejected.

Southern Literary Group used to claim an association with Laurie Perkins (it still may), but I'm not aware it has any sales.

- Victoria

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Not UNusual

Thanks, Victoria, for your response -- I meant to type that I've read it is not UNusual for McHugh & Dee Mura to be so unresponsive. I think I'm brain-dead tonight (Taipei Time).
    Then again, it's not UNusual for me to be brain-dead these days.
    But that's another story ...
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

Absolutely Fazed
    William Clark took about 4 months to reject me last year (email query and rejection).

Anyone know Rashena Wilson from this agency? She is an "Associate Agent" there, or "Agent at Large". She is not on P&E and I can't find any books she's sold.
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

fuzzysteamroller

Question Amy Tipton at Peter Rubie

Anyone have direct contact with her? I'm looking for general impressions of how she works with writers.
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 09-19-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added title to post

practical experience, FTW Pisarz's Avatar
    I queried her. She gets a PPF rating from me: prompt, polite, form rejection.

Give it a shot!

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe. badducky's Avatar
    The Peter Rubie Literary Agency is one of the best in the business, though I don't know about Amy Tipton personally.

General impression? If she's offering representation, say yes.

practical experience, FTW
    Anyone know if she's currently accepting queries or not? I had the understanding that for some time she was not.

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club RitrChick's Avatar
    Welp, lostlore, I e-queried her on 2/22 and haven't heard a peep. The web site did not mention that she wasn't taking new queries at the time I sent mine. They did say that it can take up to 2 months to respond...which I am very closely teetering on...

Anyone else query them recently?

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    i sent her a query last Tuesday and the next day I received an emai rejection. Looked like a form with the name inserted.
    Last edited by Toni1953; 04-11-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: made additon.
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

practical experience, FTW Just Me 2021's Avatar
    I queried Peter himself two weeks ago and got a request for a partial a week later. He said it would be 8-10 weeks before he got back to me.

I don't know about Amy's response time.

OK, I'm really starting to believe some of my queries are landing in some alternate universe. The same thing is happening with me at Firebrand. Grrrr...

practical experience, FTW Just Me 2021's Avatar
    I would requery her in a couple weeks. E-querries seem to garner the best responses for me. A lot of my snail mail ones seem to have disappeared into thin air...

practical experience, FTW
    RitrChick, I'm well over 2 months now, and this is with a referral. But her profile was updated on Agent Query earlier this month, so maybe we'll be hearing from her soon.

lostlore--are you talking over two months for a query??? Wowza! Maybe yours is in the same alternate universe that mine's in.

In any case, since I am an instant gratification kind of gal, I e-queried her again today. If I'm gettin' a rejection, I want it fast.

Stay tuned...Oh, and congrats and best wishes on your partial request Just Me

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    The Peter Rubie Agency has merged with the Imprint Agency and is now called Fine Print Literary Management.

- Victoria

Author Waiting in the Wings Maprilynne's Avatar
    Just wanted to add this from Publishers Marketplace.

"The Peter Rubie Literary Agency and the Imprint Agency are merging, effective October 1, to form FinePrint Literary Management. It will comprise eight agents from the two units, with Peter Rubie as CEO and Stephany Evans as president, joined by June Clark, Diane Freed, Meredith Hays, Gary Heidt, Janet Reid, and Amy Tipton."

It's more than just a name change and hopefully the new Agency will be heavy on the Stephany Evans philosophy and lighter on the Peter Rubie philosophy. I tell you, I am sick of getting spam from P.R. just because I queried him once. Stephany on the other hand was fabulous. Very kind and professional.
    Wings: the first of four from Harper Teen debuting May 5th, 2009.

You can Pre-Order my book from Amazon!
    (Come on, you know you want to.)

Page 1 of 47 12345671126 ... LastLast