The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nicholas Ellison Agency

practical experience, FTW Pisarz's Avatar

The Nicholas Ellison Agency

Has anyone dealt with Nick Ellison? I know he's legit, top notch, and so on, but I was wondering if anyone has had a personal experience to share.

Thanks!

practical experience, FTW funidream's Avatar
    He requested a hardcopy full from my query.

I got an nice rejection in two weeks time. From the rejection, I felt that he had read the entire book, but really who knows? Two weeks is a quick turnaround on a full.

He is Nelson Demille's agent.

funidream

Two weeks on a full? Wow. That's impressive. I just got a rejection in the mail from a partial that I had forgotten I even sent. Last year. I wish I was kidding.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

banned as an incurable tosspot
    I haven't submitted to Ellison but I've submitted to Greenburger and heard zilch. I may end up like Soccer Mom and be rejected eventually.

practical experience, FTW jkorzenko's Avatar
    Ditto what Carmy said. I mailed a partial et al to Tricia Davey in January and have heard nada.

J.

T.G.1025
    Has my full since over a year ago. Never responded to two polite emails.

practical experience, FTW Pisarz's Avatar
    Did he ask for it off the query? I got a request within 30 minutes off an equery. Did you send/query via email or snail mail?

Quote Originally Posted by T.G.1025 View Post
    Has my full since over a year ago. Never responded to two polite emails.
    If it were me, I'd call him. You can even accomplish this with an assistant in the office if he has one. I'd just make sure I was as brief as possible and saying that I was calling to check if they recieved the materials and it is still in the stack to be reviewed.

I did this with Richard Henshaw on a requested partial he had for over four months. I spoke with Susannah Taylor and she was nice. In fact, I was trying to be as brief as possible, but she stayed on the phone a little longer because she was interested in the premise.

I definately would recommend email first, of course, but you've already tried that.

The way I figure it is if the agent gets mad because you called to check a status on an ms. that had been out for a year and you've tried to get a status on twice through email then they are probably not an agent you want to work with in the first place.

(That is just my opinion, of course.)

Requested a full, got a form rejection back from his assistant. Never responded to emails.

practical experience, FTW
    Does anyone know his query response time and if he always responds? Thanks

Halfway between here and there Maui Author's Avatar
    I've heard he only responds if interested. I queried in May, never got a response.
    Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
    - Randy Pausch

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    Etiquette question here. Nicholas has his own agency, but he's also listed on the Sanford J. Greenburger site. Is he included as one of their agents, or is he a separate entity? I'm trying to decide if it's okay to query someone at Sanford at the same time I've got a query out to Mr. Ellison.

For what it's worth, I've treated them as being the same. I queried Nicholas and waited for him not to respond, then queried Greenburger and waited for them not to respond...

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    I'm so glad everyone else seems to share my experience here. The no response policy doesn't bother that much in and of itself except for situations like this where I'm afraid of screwing it up.

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
    I'm so glad everyone else seems to share my experience here. The no response policy doesn't bother that much in and of itself except for situations like this where I'm afraid of screwing it up.
    kaitie, same here. What's with the agency within the agency?

Anyway, I got an R from Sanford Greenburger -- my query was so bad they were moved to respond!! I figure the worst Nicholas can do is the same.

Angel to some...Asshole to others jasonguinn78's Avatar
    I actually heard from Christopher Moore (the author) that he is no longer seeking clients. According to Moore, he's busy and focused on his current list, which might explain his slow turn around or lack of interest in new materials. Hope that helps!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I actually got a request for a full from Mr. Ellison back in Feb. No reply after that. I daren't prompt him because I knew the MS had structural problems which I have yet to fix.

figuring it all out
    Has anyone had any query experience with Chelsea Lindman at this agency?

:)
    I queried Chelsea on 4/17 and got a partial request 4/25... we'll see how that goes.

figuring it all out
    Congrats on your partial, Autumn Leaves. Fingers crossed for you. Could you share the genre of your manuscript.

Contemporary YA

And thank you, by the way

Old fish; alligator skin
    Woohoo. My first post.

I was wondering if anyone submitted to Nick Ellison via e-mail. If so, did you send your sample as a Word attachment the same as SJGA's asks for? Hear anything back? I'm always cautious sending attachments. Affraid they'll be automatically deleted. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast