• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Destiny Image Publishers

Prosperity7

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anyting about Destiny Image Publishers? :D

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Their website seems to be down, but the google cached version says that they only publish a few dozen books each year out of the thousands of submissions they receive. However, it also shows that they charge a $25 reading fee with each submission. And instead of rejections, they give your name to an "outside author coach" who will contact you with "other publishing options." Those last bits send up big red flags for me.

Prosperity7

Registered
Reaction score
Their website seems to be down, but the google cached version says that they only publish a few dozen books each year out of the thousands of submissions they receive. However, it also shows that they charge a $25 reading fee with each submission. And instead of rejections, they give your name to an "outside author coach" who will contact you with "other publishing options." Those last bits send up big red flags for me.

Please explain the red flags.

huw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.velluminous.com
A $25 reading fee over 'thousands' of submissions means they're making 50K from reading fees alone. Those 'outside author coach' referrals probably also involve a kick-back from the coaches. So they have a nice little business in reading and referring. Maybe they occasionally publish something, too. The question is, do you want to buy a $25 lottery ticket to find out?

Huw

Prosperity7

Registered
Reaction score
A $25 reading fee over 'thousands' of submissions means they're making 50K from reading fees alone. Those 'outside author coach' referrals probably also involve a kick-back from the coaches. So they have a nice little business in reading and referring. Maybe they occasionally publish something, too. The question is, do you want to buy a $25 lottery ticket to find out?

Huw

In spite of what they say, I find it hard to believe they get thousands of book submissions a year. I know someone who uses them and he has two books published through them. I don't know why, but I don't think either book has sold many copies, but the fact that both books have apparently faired so poorly my indicate that the publisher isn't as selective as they claim. ???????????????????:D

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
The publisher is not selective in the distribution venues they use or acquire. It doesn't sound like they can sell books period, except for online. Are they visiable in bookstores or libraries? A reading fee PLUS a referral kickback makes them a nice little chunck of change. Add a reverse vantiy model on to that and they are actually doing better than Publish America, in a one-on-one situation with the individual author.

Wouldn't even waste my time with this one.

Tri

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Propserity, if your friend's books aren't selling very well, that's pretty much the definitive answer. There's no point in sending one's manuscripts to a publisher who can't sell its own books.

DI appears to sell at least some of their books directly to churches, ministries, etc, since they're a heavily Christian/religious publisher. I also ran across another site where anyone looking for people to spam their religious stuff to can buy DI's mailing list, which consists of the names and addresses of every person, store, and church who has ever purchased a book from DI -- perhaps this is standard practice, but it seems a little distasteful to me.

bikerchick

It's just a brain storm
Registered
Reaction score
Is my book an original?

I am filling out a manuscript submission questionaire. I am having difficulty with a question about my manuscripts originality. How do I find out if there are other books like mine? Please help!

bikerchick

It's just a brain storm
Registered
Reaction score
If you wrote it, it's your original work.

Yes, but they want to know how mine differs from all the other titles out there. I don't know if my manuscripts subject matter has ever been written about. However, I don't want to pitch such a bold statement when I'm not sure it's true. See what I'm saying?

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Talk to a librarian. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a very knowledgeable one who has read a lot and can let you know if they've read something similar. If you belong to a crit group, that's another group of people to ask. :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In every query you have to convince an agent your book isn't like any other book out there. This is the part where you sell your story and your writing. If it was easy, it'd be . . . well, easy.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
They only charge a $25 unsolicited ms viewing fee, if the ms is sent snail mail.
What the difference is, I don't know. Do you?

Anything over $0.00 is too much. If they are charging you a fee to view it they aren't making money selling/publishing books, they are making money taking submissions.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! I'm hearing alarms going off here, bikerchick. A questionnaire is unusual in and of itself and now it's combined with a reading fee, however nominal? Who are you submitting to?

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Don't lick that stamp. Slowly put the envelope down and start researching this site for some background info on who you are submitting to. It's like sending it to me with the $25.00. I'll just give it a glance and go buy myself more beer.

JJ