• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Wade & Co. Literary Agency (formerly Wade & Doherty L.A.) (Robin Wade)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Yes, I have dealt with them. Robin Wade rejected a full of mine. I have heard from several writers on a UK board, and this is my experience as well, that he is one of the most courteous and friendly agents to work with, and has good sales under his belt. I recently posted that an editor from a big publishing house sent my ms on to an agent; this is that agent.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Robin Wade also rejected my query package. Broo Doherty is a well-respected figure in UK publishing. Someone from my writing group heard her speak at a women's writing course.
Solidly respectable agency

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Aruna and Waylander. I've sent off a query so my fingers and toes are crossed.

kiwigirl

Carmy, have you had a response from RWLA yet? Their website says they aim to respond to partials within seven days. I sent them a partial at the end of March but haven't heard anything yet. I'm not sure if that means they are just busy or if I should be worrying that my email didn't reach them or my spam filter blocked their response. Thanks, Nikki

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, they rejected two queries I sent them within seven days. Very polite, but no thanks.

Why not send a follow-up mail. Your query may not have reached them.

Sarmorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ethicstrading.com
They rejected me to, but in a friendly way!
Dear Sarah,

Many thanks for sending us this proposal, which I read with interest. I considered it carefully but I’m afraid on balance it just doesn’t quite grab my imagination in the way that it must for me to offer to represent it. So I must follow my instinct and pass on this occasion. I’m sorry to be so disappointing, but thanks for thinking of us. Of course this is a totally subjective judgement, so do try other agents and I wish you every success.
Kind regards
Robin

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck, Janet. Have you hard anything yet?

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
LOL Sarmorrow, I got the same letter From Robin:

Many thanks for sending us this proposal, which I read with interest. I considered it carefully but I’m afraid on balance it just doesn’t quite grab my imagination in the way that it must for me to offer to represent it. So I must follow my instinct and pass on this occasion. I’m sorry to be so disappointing, but thanks for thinking of us. Of course this is a totally subjective judgement, so do try other agents and I wish you every success.
Kind regards
Robin

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I got the same rejection you did. You know though, I was feeling pretty low tonight about a spate of recent rejections and wrote to an agent in Toronto who is highly rated by P and E. I explained to her I am wondering, after five years of rewriting and rejections, if I should just scrap the whole novel. I asked her if its too cliched etc for words. She very kindly emailed back that my query letter really doesn't tell her anything about the novel. So I am going to work on the query before I submit to any more agents. I'm also going to do another rewrite and I might even scrap the novel and take the poetic parts out and work on them as poems. I might be able to develop one of them into a poem for the CBC poetry contest. The poems have to be between 1,500 and 2,500 words long. It will give me something a bit different to do for a while in the way of writing.

Good luck, Janet. Have you hard anything yet?

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck with the CBC contest, Janet. I have an epic poem lurking around here somewhere so I might dig it up and check if it's suitable.

The first sale I ever made was to CBC.

Rejections can be disheartening, even more of a downer when I read some of the crappy books that are being published. None of the Canadian agents I've contacted have answered, with the exception of Harding. You did well to get an answer from one in Toronto.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I checkd my poem. Word count is 750 and there's no way I can blow it up to 1,000. Darn!

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Anything recent on this agency?
I just sent my 10,000 words to Broo Doherty - commercial fiction with a strong female protagonist. Seems right up her alley, but I'll let you know!
Keeping the Faith ~ hawk

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Did you guys send via attachment? Just confirming (even though they did say it on their site) but most agents are very wary about receiving attachments.

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Vermilion ~
I sent a query with a 3-page synopsis in the text of the email, and then sent the 10,000 words in a Word attachment, because they said so! This way, if they like my synopsis, they will be eager to open the attachment, yes? I was surprised, too, but I'm happy not to have to mail it all to London!
Have you submitted to them yet, or just pondering the notion?
~ hawk

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Hawk,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't submitted, but I'll do so now. Just looking through my MS again, I feel like there's a lot to be done still no matter how many times I've gone through it, lol.

Good luck to you!

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Vermilion, a friend of mine asked me, "How many different ways can you possibly say something?" She is definitely NOT a writer!!! I have that same feeling every time I look at mine.
Here's a cure: START A NEW BOOK. At least it keeps you from looking back!
Which one are you submitting to - Robin or Broo?
~ hawk

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my reject letter from Broo - SIGH! I did re-send after 30 days because their site says they "respond to emails within 7 days". Pretty lofty goal, if you ask me, especially in light of the 10,000 words sent with each. In the end, it was 46 days, fellow scribes, so don't be discouraged if they take a bit!
Vermilion, did you submit? Let us know what came of it.
Keepin' on ~ hawk

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Broo at the beginning of June and heard nothing more. Their website does indeed state: 'We aim to respond to email submissions within seven days of receipt.'

So although enough time has elapsed for me to wonder whether this is maybe just a subtle and silent rejection I thought I would nudge today and see what happened.

Will let you know if I hear anything!

UPDATE: She emailed me back within the hour to say she'd never received my original query, apologised and asked me to send her my first three chapters again. Which I am about to do....

Last edited:

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
And alas, a rejection!

But delivered in a prompt and courteous manner so can't fault their professionalism (although I do fault their taste tee hee)

charlys

new author
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query and first 2 chapters to Broo and got a nice R the next day. I doubt she read the chapters but did say my fiction wouldn't sell as well in UK as in US. Oh, well.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I subbed on Monday and got a rejection this afternoon - the same one as described above. At least he's polite about it.