• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Community Press

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
This is a small press. They charge a $25.00 submission fee:

http://www.communitypresshome.com/submission_guidelines.html

Is this always a no-no for a writer? I recently read one of their children's books that I purchased from Amazon. It is selling fairly well.

My book is somewhat similar to the one I read, so that's why I'm interested in submitting to them. They seem to be legit, but what's up with the fee?

Thanks!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The book covers look attractive for the most part, which isn't always something you can say about a small press. And their initial list (they seem to be very new) is small, which is also good--one way small presses get into trouble is to overcommit, and try to pump out too many books.

On the not-so-good side: the prices ($29.99 for a 600+ page paperback) say POD, as does the books' availability only through Ingram and B&T (i.e., bookstore presence is unlikely).

They offer two options for wholesale ordering: returnable at a short discount of 30%, nonreturnable at a standard discount of 40%. Again, this is not going to be attractive to booksellers.

I don't see any reviews of their books in professional venues.

Only one staff member, Deana Riddle, is named on the website. Ms. Riddle is an artist, illustrator, and graphic designer who seems to have experience illustrating and designing books; but I don't see anything on her website to suggest publishing or editing experience.

- Victoria

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Victoria. So the submission fee doesn't necessarily bother you?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The submission fee means "move this one to the bottom of your list. After your book has been rejected by absolutely everyone else in publishing, consider them. But consider putting it in your desk drawer first, and more seriously."

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Is gone now. Was planning to move to CommunityPressBooks.com in '12, but it doesn't look like that happened. Ms. Riddle's current venture is BookStarter (http://www.bookstarter.com/).