• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bloomsbury Publishing / Walker & Company

• Thread starter Megan N. Caldwell
  • Start date

FictionChick

Probably writing
Registered
Reaction score
Thank youuuu, Frankie! I'm very excited. :D Good luck to you as well!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I got an email from Meredith Rich over the July 4th weekend; she thinks my YA historical fantasy would be a great fit for Spark. :) She said she'd let me know the final decision by July 16th.

Congrats, FictionChick! That's very exciting news.

For all those still awaiting news, I received an email update today that my MS is still under consideration.

Hope the news is good for you both!

frankie, when did you sub?

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Congrats, FictionChick and frankiebrown. :D

I haven't heard anything further so far (for those keeping stats). My full went in a few days after frankiebrown's. (My wordcount is probably against me though.)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
It's only been three days after my Spark sub and they emailed me to tell me that my full attachment didn't come through. Now that was nice of them. I looked at my sent folder and indeed saw that I did send an attached full. So I don't know what happened. I just tried it again and asked for a confirmation.

tri

ETA: I'm really beginning to hate Outlook Express. I hate the format and wish I could revert back to my old Hotmail.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Good luck Netz!

Seeing as how all of these Pitchmas people are already hearing back, and I subbed weeks before, I'm starting to think it's just a no. Sent my novella out to a last beta to see if it's the awkward 24k word count that's holding it back and I should start prepping to self-pub, or if it's just truly awful and should never see the light of day again.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to tri, netz and chumplet! My fingers are crossed for you :).

Justbishop: I submitted during pitmad, not pitchmas. A very subtle difference ;). Pitmad was sometime in the last week of May, but pitchmas is going on right now (not the twitter pitches, but the blog pitches).

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Well the good news is that I heard back just now, so holy fast response time!

Bad news is that it was a big R. Very personalized with thoughtful suggestions though, so I'm looking at it as a good thing :)

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Well the good news is that I heard back just now, so holy fast response time!

Bad news is that it was a big R. Very personalized with thoughtful suggestions though, so I'm looking at it as a good thing :)

Agh, sorry for the rejection :(. But it was personalized! That's awesome, especially since Spark's website says that they don't send rejections (no response = no).

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
They wrote back with a confirmation that my full made it and it opened up legible.

Now that was very courteous. You just don't see that kind of communication back and forth ordinarily. I've noticed that all the digital imprints of the big houses are very attentive and conversational in their emails. That was especially true of Random House digital, and I had some back-and-forth with Harper.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
They wrote back with a confirmation that my full made it and it opened up legible.

Now that was very courteous. You just don't see that kind of communication back and forth ordinarily. I've noticed that all the digital imprints of the big houses are very attentive and conversational in their emails. That was especially true of Random House digital, and I had some back-and-forth with Harper.

Yeah, every interaction I've had with Meredith Rich and Spark has been pleasant and personable. Very impressive.

jcheerios

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almostgrownup.net
Just wanted to chime in and say that I received a request from my Twitter pitch during #PitchMAS, and my brief interaction with Meredith Rich and Spark thus far is just nice. I sent my materials in on Friday night and received an e-mail back this morning letting me know that it had been received, and that Meredith expected to get back to me within the next couple of months.

I was very pleased with how considerate that was! It's nice to be acknowledged.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I agree on Meredith being considerate. She didn't have to take the time to write out a personalized rejection to me, but she did. Regardless of the outcome, I always appreciate when I can tell that someone has actually read and really thought about my submission.

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
I also sent my MS to Meredith after she requested it during PitchMAS. I sent it on Saturday - on Tuesday morning she wrote back to thank me for the submission and to let me know that she would try to get back to me in 2 months.

On Wednesday afternoon she wrote back saying she'd finished my MS and really enjoyed it, suggested it might work better as two books, told me that she's very interested, and hopes to update me on my submission status in a few weeks.

Basically - OMG.