• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bloomsbury Publishing / Walker & Company

• Thread starter Megan N. Caldwell
  • Start date

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Last week I did #pitmad on Twitter and got a partial request from an editor at Bloomsbury Spark. She got back to me today and requested the full. Spark is, apparently, going to be the newest branch of Bloomsbury, and publish exclusively YA & NA eBooks. I know they're a respected company, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience submitting to this imprint specifically? Or experience with their contracts, etc? I still don't have an agent, so I'm wading into these waters cautiously.

Thanks!
It's brand new I think. I don't think anyone will be able to tell you much. They will only say "our royality rates are standard for epublishing." I think what that means is standard for the new New York Big Six digital only lines of the Big Six publishers which is in fact generally lower than the old style ebook publishers around 25% net. No advance.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
With stated interest from Bloomsbury you should have no trouble getting an agent.
These brand new Big Six related digital only lines aren't exactly the same as having an agent sell your book to the print lines of these publishers. I know for example that some good agents have told people who were had contracts from Grand Central's digital only line Forever Yours that there wasn't much they could do for them. So you really have to be savvy and work out what is in your best interests as far as money goes.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I did #pitmad, too, like Tromboli and frankiebrown, and was favourited by the editor of Bloomsbury Spark last week. I sent the requested material on 30th May and was asked for a full yesterday.

Considering I had two strikes against me when I sent the requested material (my ms is waaaaay above the 25-60k word count they have on their submissions page, plus, if I'd been going through the normal channels, I would have submitted to the UK office), I was gobsmacked to receive the request for a full. Chuffed though. :D

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I also did #pitmad and was favorited by the editor of the Spark line.

I just got my request for a full.

HLWampler

Registered
Reaction score
If I remember right, other than the pitch, doesn't this press require hard-mail subs? If that's the case, I'm out. I don't even think I would ask my agent to sub hard-mail.

tri:Shrug:

I emailed mine. I don't know if it was different for #pitmad or not though.

HLWampler

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll have to revisit the site and my sub database. Doing that now...

I don't know if it will help but Meredith Rich the digital editor for Bloomsbury Spark made the request today.

HLWampler

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, the New York division you have to have an agent send it in. No prob on that. It might be email after all for the agent.

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Okay, the New York division you have to have an agent send it in. No prob on that. It might be email after all for the agent.

You don't need an agent for the Bloomsbury Spark line, which is their 'one-of-a-kind, global, digital imprint from Bloomsbury Publishing dedicated to publishing a wide array of exciting fiction eBooks to teen, YA, and new adult readers.'

If you have a 25 - 60k ms you can email it to the appropriate office (details on website).

WriterGirl28

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there...Newbie :)

I received a request during #Pitmad and sent the following day. I haven't heard anything. Should I assume they passed? I don't want to explore other avenues if it's still under consideration, but it seems like a lot of you heard back right away. (I also don't want to follow-up inappropriately and seems pushy.)

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Welcome to AW, WriterGirl28!

I don't really know how #Pitmad works, but I can say that if they didn't ask for an exclusive, then you should (and should feel free to) continue submitting/querying. If you get a bite somewhere else, and you haven't heard from Bloomsbury by then, that would be the time to let them know you have interest elsewhere and to see if they are still considering your manuscript.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I believe she doesn't respond for a rejection so it's very possible it's a no (I haven't heard either) but there is no reason to wait. Submit where ever you want.

clorenz

Registered
Reaction score
Bloomsbury Spark

Hi everyone-

I submitted a YA novel to Spark, and described some other manuscripts in my query. Ms. Rich wasn't interested in the novel I submitted but she did request a NA novel that I had described in the query. I'll let you know if I hear anything more. It is a pretty exciting new venture that I would love to be a part of. We will see...

FictionChick

Probably writing
Registered
Reaction score
I got an email from Meredith Rich over the July 4th weekend; she thinks my YA historical fantasy would be a great fit for Spark. :) She said she'd let me know the final decision by July 16th.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, FictionChick! That's very exciting news.

For all those still awaiting news, I received an email update today that my MS is still under consideration.