• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bloomsbury Publishing / Walker & Company

• Thread starter Megan N. Caldwell
  • Start date

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Other than, it's Bloomsbury--to be found in a store near you, publisher of Schott's Almanac? (Closed to submissions other than kids' books)

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
You mean the British publisher of the Harry Potter series (the link you have is the American branch of their company)? If I got an offer from them, I wouldn't walk, I'd run to sign a contract.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Eric

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Bloomsbury is completely legit. I sent them a ms about a year ago, and although they declined it, I got a lovely rejection from Elizabeth Van Houten, who said she'd be happy to look at anything else I wrote.

I'd cheerfully publish with them for an advance of ten bucks and a peanut butter sandwich.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For the US branch the reason is largely that they don't want you to

"Bloomsbury USA does not accept unsolicited submissions, and we do not assume responsibility for any unsolicited manuscripts that we may receive.

The standard method for having manuscripts considered for publication by a major publisher is through an established literary agent. Agents can be found in Literary Market Place, which is available both online and in libraries, or other guides.

We thank you for your interest in Bloomsbury."

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The UK Bloomsbury is just about the only major publisher there that does accept unsolicied mss. I sent one in two years ago (well, first a query, then the full) and they read it in about 6 weeks. The rejection came with a wonderful letter from an editor saying she loved it but they wouldn't know where to fit it on their list. Later, I corresponded with that editor and she tried to help me get an agent - out of the blue, a few weks later I got a mail from a top agent, informing me that the editor had sent him my ms with a recommendation! (He, too finally rejected.)
My dealings with them sent them right to the top of my list of UK publishers. I would die to go with them. However, they are very selctive and have a certainb style they like - tends towards the literary, and preferably a bit quirky, modernistic, dark.

My feeling, though, is that their decisions are less based on aquisition teams and more on editorial input than other big publishers; that editors do not have to take a back seat to the sales and marketing departments when offering on a ms, that they are more independent. I could be wrong but that is my impression.

Last edited:

birdfeeder

Registered
Reaction score
Bloomsbury/Walker BFYR

I've looked at Walker Books for Young Readers on the Internet, but I can't tell the size of the house. It's under Bloomsbury USA.

Is anyone familiar with this imprint?

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about them myself, but there's an old NY Times article about Bloomsbury's buy of Walker Books. I don't have an NY Times account, so I can't view the article, but if you do here's the link.

Here's the summary quote:
Bloomsbury to Buy Walker Publishing

... cutting corners, Bloomsbury Publishing P.L.C., the British ... it was buying Walker Publishing Company, a small ... York independent, to broaden its American presence with ...
December 23, 2004 - By DINITIA SMITH (NYT) - Books - News - 338 words

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Walker itself is quite well established, but I associate them with classy nonfiction; I wasn't aware of the Young Readers imprint.

Nonetheless, if they have been bought by Bloomsbury USA, they have great distribution channels. Bloomsbury USA has a distribution deal with Holtzbrinck--->Pan Macmillan--->St Martins (that's the ownership chain which runs from Germany to the UK to New York) that can place a book almost anywhere this side of Mars.

The Bloomsbury parent company in the UK is swimming in Harry Potter Bucks, so between that and the St Martins distribution deal, I'd say that from a purely business-school sort of perspective, Walker Young Readers would be worth a very close look if you write that sort of thing.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Walker Books had Jim Sallis. That's pretty good stuff.

Indeed. And on the non-fic side, Dava Sobel (of bestseller Longitude fame). They are a good company (and Bloomsbury is a good company)--but I don't know a thing about their YR imprint.

WrittenIn1981

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Walker & Company

I've searched three times on the board for any information and I came up empty. I am wanting to submit a picture book manuscript to them, and I just wanted a quick check to make sure all was well. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help. :)

http://www.walkerbooks.com/

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I don't know about any complaints off the top of my head, but I can say I own two history books that they've published and I bought them at the local B&N - (Salt was VERY good, BTW), so that's definitely a good sign.

Plus having placed books in the NYTimes Best Seller list doesn't hurt either.

Now, what their contracts look like, etc., I can't say, but if you're asking if they're a legitimate publisher, I would say all signs point to yes.

WrittenIn1981

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks much : ) That was all I needed.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
It's a division of Bloomsbury USA (Bloomsbury UK being the publisher of Harry Potter) so there's no question about them being a legitimate publisher.

Best of luck!

MM

playdatemom

Registered
Reaction score
Bloomsbury looks good. I'm going to find some of their authors emails and ask some questions. My coworker said that's the best way to find out about a publishing company. Will let y'all know if I hear anything.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Fun. Got a request from twitter (#pitmad) from an editor of Bloomsbury. It's for ebook first, but still sounds pretty good.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Bloomsbury Spark

Hey y'all,

Last week I did #pitmad on Twitter and got a partial request from an editor at Bloomsbury Spark. She got back to me today and requested the full. Spark is, apparently, going to be the newest branch of Bloomsbury, and publish exclusively YA & NA eBooks. I know they're a respected company, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience submitting to this imprint specifically? Or experience with their contracts, etc? I still don't have an agent, so I'm wading into these waters cautiously.

Thanks!