Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bloomsbury Publishing / Walker & Company

Megan N. Caldwell

Question Bloomsbury Publishing / Walker & Company

could anyone tell me whats the 411 on the publishing house Bloomsbury?? (Link below)

http://www.bloomsburyusa.com/

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Other than, it's Bloomsbury--to be found in a store near you, publisher of Schott's Almanac? (Closed to submissions other than kids' books)
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW
    You mean the British publisher of the Harry Potter series (the link you have is the American branch of their company)? If I got an offer from them, I wouldn't walk, I'd run to sign a contract.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Eric

A Free Range Aspergian johnrobison's Avatar
    Bloomsbury is a reputable and capable house. There is nothing edgy or questionable about them. They are located in the Flatiron building in NYC.
    John Elder Robison
    Blogging at: http://jerobison.blogspot.com/ Visit my author page at www.johnrobison.com, and my car business at www.robisonservice.com

Home? I have no home. Hunted, despised, living like an animal....
    I just checked the client list for their children's books. Since J.K. Rowling is listed there, this is indeed the same Bloomsbury that published Harry Potter. Yeah, I think they're legit.

~JM.

Absolutely Fazed
    I dunno. What is the Harry Potter you kids speak of? Sounds like a self-published book if you ask me.

Bloomsbury is completely legit. I sent them a ms about a year ago, and although they declined it, I got a lovely rejection from Elizabeth Van Houten, who said she'd be happy to look at anything else I wrote.

I'd cheerfully publish with them for an advance of ten bucks and a peanut butter sandwich.

They published Susanna Clarke's book Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.
    They rejected me. Gotta be legit.
    They also make it darned hard to find out how to submit to them, which is usually a sign of a real publisher.
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    For the US branch the reason is largely that they don't want you to

"Bloomsbury USA does not accept unsolicited submissions, and we do not assume responsibility for any unsolicited manuscripts that we may receive.

The standard method for having manuscripts considered for publication by a major publisher is through an established literary agent. Agents can be found in Literary Market Place, which is available both online and in libraries, or other guides.

We thank you for your interest in Bloomsbury."
    Emily Veinglory

The UK Bloomsbury is just about the only major publisher there that does accept unsolicied mss. I sent one in two years ago (well, first a query, then the full) and they read it in about 6 weeks. The rejection came with a wonderful letter from an editor saying she loved it but they wouldn't know where to fit it on their list. Later, I corresponded with that editor and she tried to help me get an agent - out of the blue, a few weks later I got a mail from a top agent, informing me that the editor had sent him my ms with a recommendation! (He, too finally rejected.)
    My dealings with them sent them right to the top of my list of UK publishers. I would die to go with them. However, they are very selctive and have a certainb style they like - tends towards the literary, and preferably a bit quirky, modernistic, dark.

My feeling, though, is that their decisions are less based on aquisition teams and more on editorial input than other big publishers; that editors do not have to take a back seat to the sales and marketing departments when offering on a ms, that they are more independent. I could be wrong but that is my impression.
    Last edited by aruna; 04-06-2007 at 11:59 AM.
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Bloomsbury/Walker BFYR

I've looked at Walker Books for Young Readers on the Internet, but I can't tell the size of the house. It's under Bloomsbury USA.

Is anyone familiar with this imprint?

I don't know anything about them myself, but there's an old NY Times article about Bloomsbury's buy of Walker Books. I don't have an NY Times account, so I can't view the article, but if you do here's the link.

Here's the summary quote:
    Bloomsbury to Buy Walker Publishing

... cutting corners, Bloomsbury Publishing P.L.C., the British ... it was buying Walker Publishing Company, a small ... York independent, to broaden its American presence with ...
    December 23, 2004 - By DINITIA SMITH (NYT) - Books - News - 338 words

Thanks for your response! I don't have an account there, either, but now I have more items to search on!

Just found a link with more text:

http://www.readersread.com/cgi-bin/b...?bblog=1223041

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    For the sake of the search engines:

Walker & Company, div. of Bloomsbury USA: http://www.walkerbooks.com/

Walker Books, independent publisher: http://www.walkerbooks.co.uk/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Walker itself is quite well established, but I associate them with classy nonfiction; I wasn't aware of the Young Readers imprint.

Nonetheless, if they have been bought by Bloomsbury USA, they have great distribution channels. Bloomsbury USA has a distribution deal with Holtzbrinck--->Pan Macmillan--->St Martins (that's the ownership chain which runs from Germany to the UK to New York) that can place a book almost anywhere this side of Mars.

The Bloomsbury parent company in the UK is swimming in Harry Potter Bucks, so between that and the St Martins distribution deal, I'd say that from a purely business-school sort of perspective, Walker Young Readers would be worth a very close look if you write that sort of thing.

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...

David,

Thank you for that great information!

Walker Books had Jim Sallis. That's pretty good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrydodge View Post
    Walker Books had Jim Sallis. That's pretty good stuff.
    Indeed. And on the non-fic side, Dava Sobel (of bestseller Longitude fame). They are a good company (and Bloomsbury is a good company)--but I don't know a thing about their YR imprint.

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...

New kid, be gentle! WrittenIn1981's Avatar

Walker & Company

I've searched three times on the board for any information and I came up empty. I am wanting to submit a picture book manuscript to them, and I just wanted a quick check to make sure all was well. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help.

http://www.walkerbooks.com/

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    I don't know about any complaints off the top of my head, but I can say I own two history books that they've published and I bought them at the local B&N - (Salt was VERY good, BTW), so that's definitely a good sign.

Plus having placed books in the NYTimes Best Seller list doesn't hurt either.

Now, what their contracts look like, etc., I can't say, but if you're asking if they're a legitimate publisher, I would say all signs point to yes.

New kid, be gentle! WrittenIn1981's Avatar
    Thanks much : ) That was all I needed.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    It's a division of Bloomsbury USA (Bloomsbury UK being the publisher of Harry Potter) so there's no question about them being a legitimate publisher.

Best of luck!

MM

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin playdatemom's Avatar
    Bloomsbury looks good. I'm going to find some of their authors emails and ask some questions. My coworker said that's the best way to find out about a publishing company. Will let y'all know if I hear anything.
    Jo
    a writer of real life stories

Fun. Got a request from twitter (#pitmad) from an editor of Bloomsbury. It's for ebook first, but still sounds pretty good.
    http://Www.staceytrombley.com-

NAKED- available now from Entangled Teen
    PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES- January 2017, Entangled Crush

Bloomsbury Spark

Hey y'all,

Last week I did #pitmad on Twitter and got a partial request from an editor at Bloomsbury Spark. She got back to me today and requested the full. Spark is, apparently, going to be the newest branch of Bloomsbury, and publish exclusively YA & NA eBooks. I know they're a respected company, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience submitting to this imprint specifically? Or experience with their contracts, etc? I still don't have an agent, so I'm wading into these waters cautiously.

Thanks!
    "To a worm in horseradish, the world is horseradish."
    Blog last updated 12/7: On Pacing

on twitter: @frankiebrown25
    Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast