Could I get some help for teen HW project on religious Saint

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Teen has a project due in morn on a Saint named Elizabeth Barton--the teacher Sister Amilla gave her the saint. Teen cannot find where and when she was cannonized...Teen believes she was not a Saint and Sister is confused----Thus she has asked for your help in pointing her in the right direction as she's been googling for a couple days...

Me... I need your help from her meltdown.

Thank you

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm, have you tried Calla Lilly (former nun) or PenguinQueen who's written a book about Saints? Maybe they can help with good sites to surf.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't find her guys--and Sister Amilla doesn't answer her email.

teenage meltdown in process...

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kimmi, I found this on Biography.com:

Barton, Elizabeth

(?1506–34) Prophet, born in Kent, SE England, UK.

Not, much, but maybe a start...

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guys still cannot find her date of cannonization---in this???

Maybe teen is right, but I bet Sister Amilla going to end up winning no matter what....

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you can get hold of this book, it might tell. I'll check my books on saints...

Neame, Alan. The Holy Maid of Kent: The Life of Elizabeth Barton 1506-1534.
London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1971.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you can get hold of this book, it might tell. I'll check my books on saints...

Neame, Alan. The Holy Maid of Kent: The Life of Elizabeth Barton 1506-1534.
London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1971.
Pat we can't find anything about her being a saint--- nada.ARGGGG

Teen says ohhhh she was bad, Mom ;0

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's not in the list of canonized saints:

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/ncdsaints.htm

So, she was legendary, and holy, but not canonized. Maybe Sister will learn something new, too! :)

Hmph---Sister Amila, Never ;)

She'll take the bad grade on this...

Thanks guys, really appreciate

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe include something in the assignment about how the formal canonization process differs from the popular acclamation common in some earlier periods? Might be worth some satisfaction, even if not the higher grade. ;)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe include something in the assignment about how the formal canonization process differs from the popular acclamation common in some earlier periods? Might be worth some satisfaction, even if not the higher grade. ;)
Ohh good--Sister would not let her use her Confirmation saint---

teen says everyone got a saint and Sister always picks on her. ;)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
According to my research, Dame Elizabeth Barton, Order of St. Benedict, is commonly included as an English martyr, but was neither beatified nor canonized and so is not a saint.
(Martyred [executed for treason] in 1534 at Tyburn gallows in Westminster)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Kate, perhaps Sister knew what she was doing when she gave teen this, as teen is an A student.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Your daughter could also call the local library. They have reams of reference books on saints and could probably give her some info over the phone, if she just wants one or two points.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What does this boil down?

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
What does this boil down?
ShortLayman's answer :): the canonization process is series of formal steps by church authorities, beginning with the local bishop and finishing with the pope (with a couple of intermediate steps). The process involves studying the candidate's life and writings for evidence of heroic virtue -- basically saying that yes, they are worthy to be held up as role models of the Christian life -- and then, once that's established, looking for verifiable miracles attributed to the candidate's intercession. If everything falls into place the pope makes an official declaration, after which the person is known as Saint _____. (Each of the previous steps has titles associated with it -- Servant of God, Venerable, Blessed.) (Trivia for the day: this process is where the term "devil's advocate" comes from, though it's not used any more.)

Public acclamation isn't a formal process; it's just what it sounds like. What makes it confusing is that the root word of "saint" isn't as specific as the current usage; it just means "holy" -- that's how you get San Croix (Holy Cross), Santa Fe (Holy Faith), etc., in other languages. (Or, for that matter, St. Michael the Archangel -- how exactly does one study the life and writings of an angel? ;) I think there are other examples in English, but I can't think of them.) So what tended to happen in the past is that people would refer to a certain person as holy, using the word they were familiar with, and the person would be established in the popular vernacular as St. _____ without having gone through any of the formal process. It doesn't happen as much any more, and actually sometimes gets officially un-done, when a legendary saint is studied & not enough evidence is found to uphold the title. Or, as looks like in this case, no official scrutiny is done (because it's a long labor-intensive process) and the popular usage continues to hang around unofficially.

She'll probably want to dig up something a bit more scholarly-sounding if she wants to use that in the assignment. ;)

Akk who are these you speak of o wise one?
Should I claim this is the short answer again? I'd probably be lying...

Basically: Henry VIII had gotten a dispensation from the pope to marry his first wife, Catherine of Aragon. When no male heir was born, he petitioned to have the first marriage annulled, but the pope refused to dispense with the first dispensation, if that makes sense. The result was Henry's excommunication & decision to declare himself head of the church in England. His subjects were required to swear to the resulting Act of Succession, which included a clause repudiating "any foreign authority, prince or potentate"; dissenters were imprisoned or executed. Thomas More was the Lord Chancellor at the time; he resigned rather than take the oath, but did not speak out publically against the king. He was still charged with treason and finally executed.

(Side note: Thomas More is just plain awesome. :D Intelligent, witty, etc. Well worth looking up his writings & sayings.)

Hope that's helpful...

[edit: RT's source is a good one.]