• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Aaron M. Priest Literary Agency

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Apologies for asking about another agent so soon-- I've just been doing a lot of research, and can't find much info about this one either. Lucy Childs of Aaron M. Priest literary agency? I did manage to find her on agentquery, and it looks as though she's accepting submissions, but does anyone know anything else about her? She and Molly Friedrich are the agents of the popular Nanny Diaries by Emma Mclaughlin and Nicola Kraus.

If you have any experience with her, or can find any general information about her or the agency, it would be greatly appreciated. :D

~ Maddy, who promises to stop bothering you kind people

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The Priest Agency also represented:

R is for Ricochet by Sue Grafton
The Interruption of Everything by Terry McMillan
Moo by Jane Smiley
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Any subagent there will most-likely know what she's doing.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
COOL! I loved the Nanny Diaries before it was big. What a great book! (I was also a nanny at the time, so it was a double riot.)

nygirl

Registered
Reaction score
She asked to see my full manuscript (novel) six months ago and I haven't heard a peep from her. I'll wait a couple more weeks and then will email to ask her whether she's read it.

fsr44

Registered
Reaction score
Serious agent. Serious agency.
Back when I was seeking representation, I queried Lucy. It did take her awhile to get back to me (I was already represented by the time I received her "pass") but she did reply. Which is more than can be said for some agencies.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
They've noted that they 'respond within 2 weeks if interested,' so after 4 weeks, I assume they've passed. What I don't know is if they're one of those kind of agencies who make group decisions---so I'm not sure if you can query someone else there if you don't hear back from one...

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, nygirl! Fingers crossed for you!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, a query about the status of the submission always brings about a rejection reply. Of course, no query results in no reply at all for me.

Edita A Petrick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editapetrick.biz
Janet - this is so true that I had to drop a note here because it just hit home - you inquire about the status of your sub and as sure as the dawn's going to break, a few days later (often even just a couple of days later) a rejection comes in. I'm sure there are folks out there who do not have this experience, but at least for me it is 100% true. And I mean no exceptions. Just had to offer my sympathy.

In pragmatic terms, (just what I think) what happens is probably this. If the sub has been with an agent/editor a few weeks longer than their advertised "turnaround" time, it has already been rejected just the paperwork hasn't been done on it and might not be done at all if the author doesn't inquire. It's very rarely that a writer will have all but forgotten about a sub and then - wham - out of the blue agent offers representation. It happens, but I view those instances as the proverbial lucky-win, the kind that features in a lottery. Happy Easter. My regards and best.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Ooh, calling teeters on the edge of bad form; I doubt they'll return your call. If you happened to catch the receptionist or an assistant, I'm sure they'd have answered your question, but . . . stick with internet research via Agent Query and the like.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
Huh, well I called them ages ago so I'm not expecting a call back. But why is it considered bad form? I've never heard that before and it makes me wonder why they would list their phone number. I know most agents don't want e-queries, and that wasn't my intention, so why else would people call?

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
But it's okay, Mystic Blossom, you should query them anyway. I'm pretty sure they do rep chick-lit, but I'm not so sure about YA. Do you have a YA chick-lit novel?

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Oh sorry I posted over you. Um... I think it's considered bad form because it's the kind of thing you can figure out online. So, like, you should do your research instead of bothering them? I'm not really sure actually. I'm sure it won't hurt your chances, though, so don't worry.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Lucy Childs forwarded my query to Nicole Kealney, who requested my full manuscript. Anyone have info about her and her sales specifically? Thank you!

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
Nicole Kenealy

Howdy,

Has anyone heard of the agent Nicole Kenealy? I've looked her up on P & E, but she wasn't listed. According to QueryTracker, she's with Aaron Priest (which is legit), but I can't find out a lot about her.

My main concern (other than is she reputable or not) is does she accept horror? According to AgentQuery, she does. But other sources say not.

Anyone have a clue??

Thanks!

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com

Thanks for the link, CaoPaux.

So Ms. Kenealy is legit, but her bio doesn't specifically state that she reads horror. But then again, it doesn't say that she doesn't read it, either. Yikes! I *hate* that. Agents, if you are listening...please give us poor writers a break and spell it out already. ;)

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, CaoPaux.

So Ms. Kenealy is legit, but her bio doesn't specifically state that she reads horror. But then again, it doesn't say that she doesn't read it, either. Yikes! I *hate* that. Agents, if you are listening...please give us poor writers a break and spell it out already. ;)

I hate the Agent Information Bios that read like this:

'Anne has been happily married for 25 years. She has three lovely daughters, enjoys painting, and cheers for the Marlins. An English major from Brown, she worked as an editor at Doubleday before becoming an agent in 1999.'

Gee, that's swell. :)

What the hell does she represent!?!?!?! :rant:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, my dream agent doesn't say in any listing that he seeks or sells what I write--but it didn't take much research to find that he's sold plenty of it, whether he wants to represent it or not. Maybe you could approach it from the other direction?

Maryn, thinking outside the bun

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
Yes, I finally dug deep enough to find out what she represents (it was buried somewhere on the submissions page instead of under her personal bio.) Apparently she does represent horror, but takes only "upscale" horror. I'm not sure what that means...maybe I need to print my ms on paper bought from Saks rather than Walgreens? :Shrug:

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
OMFG. SOMEONE JUST STAKE ME PLEASE.

I addressed my query to Lisa Vance and ended up sending it to Lucy Childs. OMG.

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
When they say "Please do not submit to more than one agent at this agency," do you think they mean multiple queries at the same time?

(So many agencies have me scratching my head with requests like that. :Shrug: If they say not to query another agent b/c they all work closely together and your query might be sent to a more suitable agent... then great. I know not to re-query. But comments like the one quoted above are cryptic to me).

It says they only respond if interested, so I take it that Lisa's no response to my 3/29 query = rejection. I'm just wondering if it's okay to email another agent now.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just send the one query to the one agent at the agency. Period. Do not sent to multiple agents at the same agency. At all.

If you sent a query in March and they haven't responded, they aren't interested.

In other words, exactly what it says.