bookjobs.com

jumpy

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone here seeking to work the other side? I'm trying to get a publishing job. Bookjobs.com is not opening. Thoughts? Thanks, jumpy.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Don't do it.

Seriously.

Okay. More seriously. What type of publishing are you interested in? And what type of position within that type? As with everything media related these days, jobs in publishing are highly competitive and the more you know about where you want to fit in that world, the more likely you are to find not only a job, but The Perfect Job.

jumpy

Registered
Reaction score
It's my field. I can do most anything in the field save production. I was a Sales Rep for Simon & Schuster for 6 years.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Sorry. The original post made it sound as though this was a first position in the field. Have you tried mediabistro's job boards?

As an aside, some of those questions are still useful to answer - do you care what kind of publishing? Do you care what kind of position? What are your industry connections telling you? There are different routes to different jobs and given the astonishingly poor results from internet-only job searches (something like 8% success rate), having more information and more options will probably serve you better.

jumpy

Registered
Reaction score
My inside peeps aren't being very helpful. Yes, I know there is a hidden job market but I still get interviews.
I just got a book agent and I just published another short story but unless I become Stephen King I still need a dayjob (I'm temping now). I can work any aspect of sales.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Medisbistro is the only place I can think of off hand that has any decent amount of publishing industry job listings, so that's all I can offer at the moment. But if I think of any more, I'll let you know.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I assume that means you're looking at fiction publishing only? I work in non-fiction publishing, and I make a comfortable living...

FYI - Publisher's Marketplace lists job openings. They have lots of editorial/publishing positions listed.

jumpy

Registered
Reaction score
I mean all publishing. I don't think I want to work for a dry Science,Technology Medical publisher though.
Bookjobs.com finally opened for me again.

jumpy

Registered
Reaction score
mediabistro was "bookjobs.com"

There's more than just MB. I like these:
hotjobs.com, journalismjobs.com, jobcentral.com, jobscareers24.com, datafrenzy.com, varietycareers.com, mediabistro.com, publishersmarketplace.com, AmericasJobBank.com, indeed.com, diversityinc careers, rochesterjobnetwork.com

These ones are OK: publishersweekly.com, monster.com, flipdog.com, careerBuilder.com, jobster.com, jobalot, nytimes.com, bookjobs.com, timewarner.com (has ALL of their companies--nobody knows about it), lynnepalmer.com, janplace.com
Monster opens up with an ad, click "no thanks" and it brings you to the real site.
They are all different. You must look every day, starting after noon (give 'em time to list), you can skip Saturdays, check yesterdays for stuff listed after you looked, used "Advanced" seearch and go by 5 mile radius, experience, salary, newest jobs.
Post your resume, create a job agent.
You won't like them all so just add the ones you like to your favorites.
Questions?

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I was sure there were more. I just couldn't think of any of them. Of course, I only stumbled into book publishing anyway, so I'm surely not the best source. Given my choice, I'd be out of book publishing in a heartbeat, soul killing industry that it is.