• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Knight Agency (Deidre Knight)

sellthepharm

I'm getting a nibble from this agency. They seem to be on the up and up but I want to make sure. Anybody heard anything negative?

FordGunter

Re: Knight Agency

They rejected my query, so they MUST be legit, right?

spywriter

Preditors and Editors has nothing bad to say, but it does not reccomend them either. DOn't know what to tell you. All I know is that I am so weary about agents outside of NY and CA.

spywriter

Well Victoria should know!

You're lke everyone's mom here, Victoria. Thanks a lot for watching out for us newbies. You are appreciated.

vstrauss

Ugh, now I feel like I'm about a thousand years old. I am sooo not mom material. But thanks for the thought...

- Victoria

Kate St Amour

Karen Marie Moning is with them (among other successful authors). I actually considered querying them prior to the PA nightmare.
Please let us know how it goes, if you choose to go with them!

~Kate

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Knight Agency

I'm not sure what the question is, but I've seen Knight come up a few times on this thread.

I can vouch that it's a reputable agency. Deidre makes a ton of sales; I'd mostly recommend her for romance writers.

She was my agent for a year (1997-98), but it wasn't the right fit. I don't write romance, and at the time, neither of us were experienced enough in the celeb authorized bio area to successfully navigate the negotiation at hand. It blew up quite painfully (for me).

PM me if you'd like more details. I found Deidre to be extremely professional, supportive and well-connected, but my sense is that she's pretty genre-specific. Of course, that was a few years ago, and she may well have expanded her base since then.

-Sarah

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
Microdot technology, dude. Print out Elizabeth's post and look at it under a microscope. Then translate it from Arapaho. All will become clear.

Ya gotta read more spy novels.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't understand Elizabeth's post either, but I read back a few pages and saw a couple of questions about this agency, so I thought I'd offer info. I'd hate for people to think it wasn't legit.

Oh, and I'm psychic. (Though the spy thing works well, too)

-Sarah

Kate StAmour

Woooo Chaaaa!
Registered
Reaction score
Basic Quantum Physics: None of us are really here
Website
katestamour.com
firehorse said:
I didn't understand Elizabeth's post either, but I read back a few pages and saw a couple of questions about this agency, so I thought I'd offer info. I'd hate for people to think it wasn't legit.

Oh, and I'm psychic. (Though the spy thing works well, too)

-Sarah
Karen Marie Moning is with the Knight Agency, and she is a major player in romance.

sellthepharm

Chemically enhanced
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity: who, exactly, is "we"?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
In Elizabeth's previous incarnation on the old board, he affected the royal "we" when he posted. He hasn't made many posts since we moved but he switched to "I" over here.

I enjoyed Liz's posts. Oh Liz! Come out-come out wherever you are!

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
aka eraser said:
In Elizabeth's previous incarnation on the old board, he affected the royal "we" when he posted. He hasn't made many posts since we moved but he switched to "I" over here.
As I recall, it wasn't so much the royal "we" as it was the collective "we", that collective being formed by the author and his book's character under whose name he posted... He explained it somewhere back on the old boards.

I enjoyed Liz's posts. Oh Liz! Come out-come out wherever you are!
Seconded!

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
I was just about to ask about the Knight Agency and then I saw this thread. So this agency is legit, right? So far is sounds legit to me!

Thanks ya'll are the best!
:)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
IMPORTANT: Deidre Knight impersonator

Please click this link to read about how someone is attempting to discredit literary agent Deidre Knight. This information comes from Ms. Knight's blog. The information was posted on July 18, so please forgive me if you've already seen this.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Maprilynne
Board fanatic

Nephele Tempest?

I know the Knight Agency itself is a good one and the Deidre is great, but does anyone know much about Nephele Tempest? She has been with them for about 18 months and runs their California office?

Thanks,

Maprilynne
06-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Caro
Esteemed New Member

Nephele Tempest was out to speak with my writer's group here in LA a few months back -- seemed bright, intelligent and capable. Was also a damn good speaker and offered up a lot of good practical advice.

She said that she's the one whom most of the queries are being sent to at this point because she is the newest agent and therefore has the smallest list. She's looking for most anything in the romance genre except category. Her comment was that it isn't that she doesn't like category; it's that category is not making that much money these days and it is possible to make a sale to Harlequin/Silhouette without an agent, so she doesn't feel it's right to take a chunk of what money you do get for sale.

I liked her enough to put her on my list of agents to consider for submission.
06-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Perks
delicate #!&*! flower
Mod Squad Member

She's super cool. My stuff wasn't romantic enough for her, but I really enjoyed our interaction. I can't help it if I'm more blood and guts than kissy-face.

Diana Peterfreund

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianapeterfreund.com
I just signed on to this forum after much reading. You guys provide a great service here.

I thought I'd post a response to this thread in case anyone is looking for more recent info about this agency. I've been a (very happy) client of Deidre Knight's for almost two years. She sold my first book in April of 2005 in a two book deal to Random House imprint Bantam Dell. The first book came out in July of 2006, and the second book will be out in June of 2007.

The agency just had their ten year anniversary last summer, and yes, things have changed since 1997. They are known for their connections in romance and women's fiction, and they have expanded into a variety of other commercial fiction genres, like YA fiction (they just sold my critique partner Marley Gibson's four book series to Penguin Puffin), mysteries, etc.,;non fiction financial and self-help; and they've always been strong with inspirational titles both in non fiction and fiction (the book 90 Minutes in Heaven, currently on the NYT bestseller list, is repped by TKA). They made over a hundred sales this year. members of the website PublishersMarketplace.com can search the deals. They also have a great website where they list all their clients' recent releases at http://knightagency.net.

I don't mean to sound like an ad for the agency, but I know people come here to check up on whether or not an agent is "legit" and I wanted to assure you that they are. I don't know why there wouldn't be "recommended" marks next to their name on P&E. How do you get those? I know I recommend them!

The agents working for the agency are: Deidre Knight, Pamela Harty, and Nephele Tempest. Elaine Spencer has also been taking on some clients.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Get in touch with the guys who run P&E and give them your endorsement. They'll update the site.
If Miss Snark likes 'em, they're good.
My current work was rejected by them, but that was when the query sucked. I'll try them again with the next project.
They have a great and informative blog, too.