The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Harris, Harris, and Donahue

schnootzie

[Agency] Harris, Harris, and Donahue

Does anyone know anything about this firm? They seem pretty up and up, but what do I know? Been scammed before!
    Thanks, schnootzie

vstrauss

Re: harris, harris, and donahue?

Writer Beware hasn't gotten any complaints about this agency. However, it has been in business for several years and as far as I can tell has made no sales (new agencies that are going to be successful start making regular sales within six months to a year of starting up). There's no evidence that any of the agents have relevant professional experience, and some of the advice pieces on the website are pretty poor (for instance, the one about how agents hate books written in first person).

Another warning sign: they claim to follow the AAR's "cannon" of ethics. KA-BOOM! They say it twice, so it's not a typo.

- Victoria

spywriter

Gotta ask then Victoria....

Why did you get concerned about them saying they follow the CANNON of ethics? I think that Jeff Herman's book says that he only puts AAR agents, and THOSE WHO FOLLOW THE CANNON OF ETHICS in his book? What's the problem?

CaoPaux

It's spelled "canon". A "cannon" is a piece of artillery.

spywriter

canon vs. cannons

Got it. Not really on top of my game tonight. But...if they really did follow the CANNON, and not the CANON, then that would also be a point of concern, right? (lol)

schnootzie

Re: canon vs. cannons

Thanks! There sure isn't much either way out there about them. Not a lot of canon (yuk-yuk) fodder! schnootzie

Ivonia

Re: canon vs. cannons

Yeah, I read a warning on a website where they said that those websites, if they're up, should be free of grammatical errors and typos.

While this might just be a little oversight in this case, if you read a website, and it's chock full of bad spelling and words, you do have to get a little suspicious of it.

Hehe, "canon" fodder, good joke :P

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Harris, Harris & Donahue Ltd.

The news feed is current (probably automated), but the rest of the site doesn't look like it's been updated since 2002. No client list. http://harris-donahue.tripod.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Been a long time... OneTeam OneDream's Avatar
    Don't try sending anything.

The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    <query@harris-donahue.com>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    ... while talking to sitemail.everyone.net.:
    >>> RCPT To:<query@harris-donahue.com>
    <<< 550 Recipient Rejected: Mailbox would exceed maximum allowed storage
    550 <query@harris-donahue.com>... User unknown

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Tripod site is gone. No sign of either Harris. Ms. Donahue has an active poetry forum, but is not acting as an agent. I'll bet her move to Arkansas broke up the band.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: