The Baseball Thread

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Rob, I recently signed up at MLB.com to listen to audio of Blue Jays games (or any other game I want). It's a pretty good deal. $15 (US) for a whole year.

Occasionally, Jays games are on their pay TV channel, which I don't subscribe to. Radio reception totally sucks here where my computer is so I solved that dilemma quite nicely. Now I get to listen to a static-free ball game whenever I'm at the machine.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lou Piniella.

:roll:

Sorry - but after so many years of watching Mount Piniella erupt at least once a month here in Seattle . . . let's just say I was glad when he snuck out of his last year with the Mariners. Working the Marlins for two years only fueled his attitude :D

ETA: Oops, that was the Devil Rays, not the Marlins. :D

Last edited:

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
In my fiction piece, I use a Red Sox fan as an example of a guy who always sets himself up for heartbreak! Ducking and running!

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
What is up with your Cubbies this year, Immortal? If they would stop fighting amongst themselves (and other teams) and focus on playing, the Central Division is ripe for the taking.

It is only a matter of time before Zambrano has another meltdown and breaks his pitching hand after punching a wall in the locker room.

<shakes head> Well.....they're the "Cubs". I mean, that says it all, really, doesn't it? I can say that because I have been a Cubs fan my entire life...and despite what they do, and despite a few attempts at trying to find another team to root for, I'm still a Cubs fan. They trade away players for....nothing really....most recently Barrett. Sure, he had his faults but what exactly did the Cubs get for him? A backup catcher and another outfielder--because the Cubs don't have enough outfielders! (Oh...and the Cubs are still paying Barrett something like 1.5 million for not playing for their team! - I wish I could get a job like that!)

On paper, the Cubs 'should' be one of the top teams. On paper, the Cubs 'should' be leading the division. On paper, the Cubs 'should' be talking about winning the World Series...

Unfortunately...it's only on paper.

But hey, the bright spot for the Cubs this year is how badly the White Sox are playing. LOL

Take care all --

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That MLB.com deal sounds great! I'll look into it.

It doesn't look likely that I'll be signing up for the sports option, let alone keeping pay TV; I can't find anything to watch. And the jerks dropped ESPN from our package... get this... in 2004... between the ALCS and the World Series.

ETA: Clemens lost... again. $28 mil doesn't buy what it used to, eh? Why's everybody so hot about the Yankees, but nobody says a thing about the Rockies? (And this Youkilis fellow. Nice guy. So glad things are working out for him.)

Last edited:

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Why's everybody so hot about the Yankees, but nobody says a thing about the Rockies?

IMO, because the Yankees are a HUGE market with lots of fans and the Rockies are a small market with not as many fans. If the Rockies keep playing this way, in Late July and August we'll be hearing about them on Sportscenter as "coming out of nowhere," but it's only because the espn guys haven't been paying attention to them all season.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Cubs sweep the White Sox...life is good.

:)

Sorry...just had to post it somewhere...

Okay, back to cheering on the Red Sox....

take care all -

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You Boston fans might have a gimmie tonight - my Mariners are putting Weaver (1-6 era 8.56) up to pitch against Tavares (5-4 era 4.50).

ETA: Seattle 9 Boston 4 :D

Last edited:

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
I gotta say...maybe the Cubs are trying to realize my ultimate dream (Red Sox vs Cubs in the World Series--though I have to root for the Cubs to win it all). Cubs just swept the Rockies too...6 wins in a row. Now if they can sweep the Brewers next....

:)

take care all -

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Thank your lads for me Muse. My Jays are slowly getting some of their injured bodies back and are trying to survive a stretch of 18 out of their next 21 games on the road. If they can manage 10-11 wins there, they'll be primed to take a run in August and September.

In the meantime, we need all the help we can get. ;)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, it would appear your beloved Jays are destined to come here to Seattle for their next 3 :D

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I'm thinking we were a smidge TOO polite in dropping all 3 games....

It's a treat watching Ichiro play though. You guys are fortunate to be able to watch him 162-plus times. Gotta love guys who play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Five All-Stars is good. . . I wanted nine yet that might be a touch too much to ask. Oh well.

sgtmrb03

Registered
Reaction score
Jongfan...I'm late, but I have to give my props to Beck. I'm a life-long Dodger fan, and as much as I hate the Giants, I always respected Beck. Not the best stuff, but he got the job done 286 times. RIP.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
I think it may be time to screw our heads back on. It is time to dump Tavarez for Lester and make a trade for a spark plug like we did in aught-four with Cabrera. This season is looking strangely like that year as we got hot early then played .500 ball until late July. We do have a fair amount of games left against against the hapless O's and D-Rays who we own so I am not too worried about being caught. It almost seems that Theo is keeping the reigns on the monster, letting the pitchers get ready for the stretch run...

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Notes:

I called it. Dumped Tavarez for Lester and the 23 year old cancer surviving lefty will start tonight in Cleveland. Good good.

Papi is going to sit for a couple of days with his strained shoulder. He should be alright.

Possible future Sox within the next couple of weeks.
1. Ryan Church (OF- Nationals)
2. Solomon Torres (RP- Pirates)
3. Brian Fuentes (RP- Rockies)
4. Mark Texiera (1B/ DH- Rangers)
5. Jay Payton (OF- Orioles) Note: This is not a distinct possibility as we traded Payton two years ago when he complained of playing time and Boston in general. Though, Epstein could force him to come for outfield depth and Payton would be forced to perform for his next free agent contract.
6. Zack Greinke (RP- Royals) Note: Assuming the Royals trade him. This emotional pitcher is a stud waiting to happen. Things is, the Sox have a couple of those themselves which they may play wait-and-see with.
7/8. Alfredo Amezaga or Josh Willingham: Note: As Ryan Church is listed above I include these two Florida outfielders and the Sox look for a fourth outfielder to finish the season. I have heard no rumors at all pertaining to these players but they look attractive enough if the Sox have their eyes open.

Possible Former Sox-
1. Wily Mo Pena- (OF)- Really, Wily has played such horrid defense that he has played himself out of needed at-bats. Good hitter though and could be dangled to teams such as the Nationals, Padres or Angels with big parks and little power.
2. Kason Gabbard- (P) I love Gabby, really do but with Bucholz and Lester becoming staples in the rotation in the near future (Lester tonight) it may be time to sell high on this clever lefty.
3. Coco Crisp- (OF) Okay, don't rip my head off for this one. Coco would be a big chip only if we made a blockbuster for somebody like Texiera. Though, he is our spark plug right now I do not see him being moved. Just saying it could be a possibility.
4. Craig Hansen (RP- Pawtucket)- Not what we had been expecting from this once dominant college closer. Sell while he still has value.
5. David Murphy- (OF- Pawtucket) Really, with Moss and Ellsbury as potential stalwarts on the Sox roster coming soon it is time to move Murphy. Same could be said for Moss while Ellsbury is untouchable. Sorry PawSox lovers, I know the team is not great right now and these three outfielders are your ONLY offense (the organization has nothing along the line of infielders in the system) but one of them has to go.
6. Julian Tavarez (P) Now that he is out of the rotation he should fetch a decent price for somebody looking for a rubber arm.

That all being said, Ellsbury could be called up to give us that fourth outfielder while Wily Mo is dealt for bull-pen help with the possible inclusion of Julian Tavarez. I have been oddly accurate over the last few years of who the Red Sox have been eyeing (for instance I called the Wily Mo trade months before it happened.) That is why Ryan Church or a guy like Termel Sledge could be on their ways to Boston soon. If not be July 31 then in the off season.

Oh well. Just needed to get that off my chest.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The lead over the Yanks is down to four.

FOUR.

Are the Sox even going to get to the postseason at all this year? Sheesh.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Hey buddy, make that 7 and a half with three games against the Spankees this week. A sweep would be. . . just. . . fun. Embarassment and retribution for the Boston Massacre II (from last season).

Let us revisit the trading season for a second.

Gagne for: Gabbard and Murphy (plus an eighteen year old I have no idea about). Q: Good for ball or bad for ball? A: Bad for ball, very bad. . . at first. Showing signs of turning it around, should revise how we use him. Not an extremely bad trade but Gagne needs to button down the mistakes before Clay Bucholz takes his job starting September 1.

Joel Piniero for: PTBNL. . . always love the imfamous player to be named later. I mean really, as far as I am concerned this was a money in the bank type of trade. Joel has been pitching well for the Cards which means that the player they give us will have to be semi-decent in return. Sign a guy in free agency, give him a chance then trade him. . . . free money. Getting a prospect for a failed adventure.

Wily Modesto Pena for: At first a PTBNL but later it turned into a young man with the surname of Carter. Not bad in a sabermetrics type of move because Carter is a good hitting first baseman and there is next to NOTHING at the corner spots in our farm system and Wily was never going to get out of the Sox dog house where he was never going to see playing time in meaningful situations. Washington is a good spot for Wily where they can live with his horrible defense and launch home runs out of the (presumably smaller) stadium that is being built on the banks of the Anacosta (sp?) river set to open next year. If there is anybody who can hit it out of RFK (the Nats stadium this year) it is Wily Modesto. . . really, I think the guy is going to kill someone with a 490 foot laser one of these days. Carter gives the PawSox some much needed production from the infield and somebody that adds depth in the case that Lowell or Youk or Hinkse suffer any ailments. A: Good for Ball all around.

Final season prediction: With 80 wins and 32 games to play it is presumable that the Sox will will somewhere in the 96-102 win range. . . I am going with 99 (A 19-13 finish. . . could be better than that though) as there is a season ending roadtrip to Minn and Oak that we will probably go about .500 on. To match that the Yankees will need to go 27-5 in the final 32. Considering that they are about to lose 3 games (Tues-Thurs) to the Sox I have my doubts about that actuall happening.

Happy Hunting. . . Pettite v. Dice-K at 7:05 tomorrow night.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
No, but the grip I would love to put around the neck of Franconatheresagamegoing on will be quite snug... I mean.. Gagne.. please.. we had Pap and Oki ready to go...but in fine Francona fashion.. let's leave the pitcher in to struggle, load em up and walk em in..

Ok.. my rant here is done... ahhhhhhhhh