The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Independent Book Publishers Assoc. (formerly Publishers' Marketing Assoc.)

www.justinthorne.com JustinThorne's Avatar

Independent Book Publishers Assoc. (formerly Publishers' Marketing Assoc.)

Hi,

Anyone heard of PMA, the Independent Book Publishers Association and what is means for the would-be author if a small publisher is a member?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    It means nothing.

PublishAmerica is a member.

It's also very expensive to join--I checked it out years ago when I published a small lit-mag. They still send me free copies of their newsletter and I rarely see anyone I recognize, writers or publishers.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    PMA is now IBPA, the Independent Book Publishers Association: http://www.ibpa-online.org/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Banned
    We used to be members when we first opened our doors because we felt it was a great way to network. Their PMA University that they hold during BEA is illuminating for the newer presses because you're meeting professionals in all different aspects of the industry. I've made good friends with people I met there.

They offer booth space at BEA, which is helpful to the newer press who wants to have a presence and doesn't have the money to get their own booth. They also offer a lot of really silly programs that do nothing but separate you from your money - publishers who don't have distribution and such. However, I found their magazine to be helpful in the early years as well.

But in no way should it be confused as bragging rights. Anyone can join if they have the bucks to pay the yearly fees. Like Jim said, PA is a member. In short, they're good for networking, but we never found that they helped us sell books - which is far more important.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin The Book Elf's Avatar

Question Book Marketing - IBPA

Has anybody heard of the Independent Book Publishers Association?

is there any benefits for a self published author to join?

http://www.ibpa-online.org/

practical experience, FTW WriterBN's Avatar
    Found this somewhat old thread in BR&BC:

<snipped>
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 10-21-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin The Book Elf's Avatar
    Thanks! I had tried a search and it came up empty.