Copy editing US $ 1000

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's good to dust off the classics now 'n' again. :hat:

Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead! As a freelance copyeditor, it's reaffirmed the things I am doing right and given me perspective on what I need to improve. I agree with a previous poster; HapiSofi's post needs to be in an FAQ somewhere.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I just found this, too. HapiSofi's post is like gold. And very, very funny.

(serial comma!)

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
I have paid about $1200 for substantive editing and it has been worth my while, though the editor came highly recommended. I charge $2/page for line editing and $5/page for substantive editing, just to give you a reference point. I do believe that you should request a sample free edit of a few pages so you know what you are getting.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Hell, I subscribed to this thread because of Hopi's response. I found it very enlightening.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I have very strong opinions on the serial comma. Unfortunately, my house style does not agree with me. :cry:

In my last book, however, I was able to argue for one particular serial comma, and I GOT IT!

Victory! :hooray:

Hap's piece was awesome. I'm glad this thread has been bumped. I made a copy of Hap's questions.

Susan G.

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
I've contacted two well-regarded editors for an edit of my 60,000 thriller. One asked for $1200, the other for $1500. Both seem like reasonable fees but well outside of my budget.

Beta readers it is, then!

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Are you sure your plans are realistic? If you need a professional editor and pay for your self-publishing, you have to sell a LOT to break even, let alone make a profit. You could consider a POD like Lulu.com that charges printing costs per unit for the buyer. That way you have no upfront printing costs except for a distribution plan.