Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gone from the boards for a month or two and everything's gone mad. New showrunner? New companion (OK, I saw that one coming), no Who this year?

As regards the new guy in charge, I reserve judgement. I liked the first series of Broadchurch. I don't remember the second much, but then I watched it during a bout of insomnia. From what I've read and heard, that was probably for the best. I've got no opinion on the new girl, not having watched the trailer. The year-long hiatus... my gut reaction was annoyance, but maybe it's a good thing. Gives everyone time to prepare and hopefully put together a killer episode list. Or so I'd like to think.

I've nothing more to add. I'm back, thought I'd dip in and say hi. Now I'm off to write before I lose faith in myself completely.

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
I stopped watching Who after the Doctor/Song 'romance' (Season 6?). Moffat then does Clara, who seemed Ok, but somewhat bland. I only saw her in the 5Oth anniversary eppy.

Glad Moffat is leaving. I didn't like what he did with the Doctor at all, and apparently that leeched into Capaldi's run.

Another young female companion? Yawn. I miss Donna and Jack, even Rory and Amy (cos they were a couple).

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I missed seeing the 2016 Christmas special. I can't find a repeat air date for it on BBC America. Anyone know when it might be on again?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I missed seeing the 2016 Christmas special. I can't find a repeat air date for it on BBC America. Anyone know when it might be on again?

Don't see an air date, but if your cable package has BBC America you should be able to watch it online here.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for Who fans: Why is Torchwood like the red-headed step-child among fans?

It wasn't especially good, is the short answer. It was billed as being made for a mature audience but was actually immature,playground stuff. It had moments where it found its feet and showed a glimmer of promise, but ultimately, it just wasn't any good. It didn't help that torchwood captain jack bore no similarity to time agent captain jack. There was plenty not to like.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

On Thursday, at select theaters, they're showing it on the big screen. That's what I just watched it on.

I enjoyed this one, and also last year's which still made me laugh when I rewatched it this year. This year's did have the common Moffat problem that even when I enjoy an episode of his, I can point to the elements that are retreads of his other episodes (or other shows, even!). The love interest ranting about how much she loves the guy while he stands there in disguise was done in the previous episode! Still, it was good fun.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Torchwood was a lot more graphic in its material. I know several episodes made me uncomfortable - especially the alien "cow" vivisection ep. where they had to put the poor thing down. It never shied away from the grim ending.

Also the way it handled the end for major characters was heartbreaking. Ianto!!!

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't like the general seasons of Torchwood, but, oh, my, god the Children of Earth completely stunned me. It is the only Torchwood I own.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I have a question for Who fans: Why is Torchwood like the red-headed step-child among fans?
I loved parts of Torchwood. I loved how they addressed some issues no Doctor would ever touch. I watch a re-watch the first two series. I even play a character in a version of Torchwood in an ongoing game in the "Doctor Who Adventures in Time and Space" gaming system. (Torchwood 1882, just after it was founded.)

I even found Children of Earth to be mostly well-done. I don't want to re-watch it, but I found the moral questions and answers and the dark places it went to very moving at the time.

Miracle Day, however was simply awful. I watched it, of course I did, but it was more of a hate-watch by the 3rd or 4th episode.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I was unimpressed by the Christmas Special this year.

Moffat's thing seems to be making The Doctor the least special person in the show. That's why I hated Clara. I thought when she was gone, it would be OK, but then we got last year's Christmas special where River was the most special person around. I thought "OK, but it's River Song. She's different." And now this year's Christmas special has this superhero. It was like The Doctor's participation in the episode was almost secondary.

Grant was certainly adorable, but it didn't feel like Doctor Who to me.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
The special wasn't overly special this year, but I think moffat's heart is in other places, which is annoying. I'd rather have no new doctor who than mediocre Dr who. It should be awesome event telly, but it rumbles along waiting for, oh I don't know. I don't want to be a moffat basher but he's not delivering.

RTD wasn't brilliant, but its his run that gets the most rewatches. None of capaldi episodes get a replay or any attention from the kids. I'm just hoping that the new guy remembers the kids occasionally, the little ones that are scared of the monsters, throw them something occasionally, even if its a farting alien.

Its not a good sign when a six year old will engage with a Troughton serial but wander off if its Capaldi.

Still, the new companion looks set to bring some relief in the next series. Reminded me of Donna Noble.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score

Torchwood actually had plenty of fans back in its day (I was very active in the fandom, and was more into Torchwood than Doctor Who), but the quality could be very inconsistent and the stories could be melodramatic at times. For the first couple seasons, it felt like the show couldn't really decide if it wanted to be very serious or if it wanted to be more humorous and flamboyant, which caused some strange disconnect at times. Also, John Barrowman is good at playing more lighthearted stuff, but the more dramatic scenes were hit or miss.

The third season, Children of Earth, was a large departure from the tone and content of the rest of the series, and fans were very divided over it. Some people, particularly people who were never a fan of the first two seasons, really liked it. Personally, I hated it. Oh, God, I can't even describe how disappointed I was. I've never been able to bring myself to rewatch it, and it completely ruined the show for me.

Then they tried to rekindle the show in the US as a Starz show, and I get the sense they were aiming for the same general tone of Children of Earth. Since I was still mad at them for COE, I never bothered watching the final season, but I got the impression that most people didn't care for it and didn't like the new characters much.

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the first two seasons of Torchwood. It's like a more adult version of Doctor Who. Sure, it got weird at times. But I liked it. Children of Earth was meh. I mean, it introduced some pretty major characters that came out of nowhere, which felt too much like a trope or gimmick.

As for Miracle Day . . . that was not Torchwood. Plain and simple. It kept a couple of the same characters, but no one acted like themselves. They were constantly doing things that made me narrow my eyes and stare at the screen, because hey, Jack would never do THAT . . . or that. Or that. If they'd revealed that an alien shapeshifter had taken over Jack's body, I would've totally believed it! Also, until about 3/4 of the way through, the show utterly lacked all the elements that made Torchwood so great. Where was the sci-fi? Where were the aliens? Where was the rift in space-time? It. Was. Not. Torchwood.

By the way, has anyone read the Doctor Who and Torchwood books? I've enjoyed most of them. Still have a few that I haven't read yet, because once I do, there won't be any more and that will make me sad.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
So Capaldi is leaving. Shame really, such a huge whovian, and narely a decent episode to his name. Not my favorite doctor by any means, and smith went before he was ready. But anyway. Too many sources to cite, so I'll link a rumour in the mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/death-paradise-fans-tip-kris-9747853

I could see Kris Marshal as the Doctor, support it even. Lots of demands for a female doctor too. Not least in the guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/31/doctor-who-new-time-lord-woman-peter-capaldi

And a counterpoint also in the guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/02/female-doctor-who-time-lord-inequality

I have to say, a female doctor would generate about zero controversy, and woukd be accepted immediately by all. The thing that puts me off a female doctor is the pressure that it must be done. I disagree. It can be done. The Doctor can be played by anyone, that can act, sorry Freema, but the pressure should be resisted, because its unnecessary. Its interference.

If I were a writer, I couldn't design my characters around media demands, if anything, I would rebell against the expectation, and I hope the new show runner does too, and sticks to their own vision.

That said, if it is a woman, my choice would be Lucy Worsley, but that's just me.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And my choice would be Alex Kingston. River Song is supposedly dead and in the Library, so he might regenerate into her form as a sort of tribute.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
That said, if it is a woman, my choice would be Lucy Worsley, but that's just me.
I'd love to see Helena Bonham Carter, or Miriam Margoyles as the Doctor.

Would also accept Richard Ayoade, or Hugh Laurie as an acceptable substitute.

Guerrien

Fire Bad, Tree Pretty
Registered
Reaction score
My worry about a female Doctor is that, you know, sometimes it feels a little like Doctor Who's on its way out again. Whether it actually is or not, I have no idea. We've got a new showrunner, he might bring something interesting to it, like comprehensible plotlines, strong female characters, etc. Only one way to find out. But my worry about a female Doctor is Doctor Who dying a death on her watch, and everyone assuming it's because 'well, we tried a female Doctor, look how that worked out', and not that most of the people I talk to who used to watch it already don't anymore. (Insert token 'thanks, Moffat').

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
My worry about a female Doctor is that, you know, sometimes it feels a little like Doctor Who's on its way out again. Whether it actually is or not, I have no idea. We've got a new showrunner, he might bring something interesting to it, like comprehensible plotlines, strong female characters, etc. Only one way to find out. But my worry about a female Doctor is Doctor Who dying a death on her watch, and everyone assuming it's because 'well, we tried a female Doctor, look how that worked out', and not that most of the people I talk to who used to watch it already don't anymore. (Insert token 'thanks, Moffat').
That's a good point. Doesn't matter that things are going downhill on Capaldi's Who (not that it's his fault) but it'll be 'Women killed Dr. Who.' In that case, switch my choice to Hugh Laurie - he's got the quirky Dr. Who look, he's done dramatic and funny, and he's well-known.