Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yes and no - really only because Capaldi (the actor) is an older guy. The Doctor (the character) is supposed to be 800+ years old whoever's playing him, so it's no ickier than all those "ancient vampire and teenage girl" things.

That said, I'll be glad to see the back of Moffat too.

Except that, in this case, the actor playing the 1000 year-old man/alien has said he was hoping they'd move away from the pseudo-romantic stuff and get back to something more akin to the original run of the show where the female companions were more stand-ins for The Doctor's granddaughter Susan.

Imagine believing that your counterpart is supposed to be a cypher for your grandchild, and then imagine being told to be all kissy-face, lovey-dovey. Blech. It's not the ages that make it unpalatable, it's the way the actors have interpreted the characters. To have that suddenly changed by the writer/director/whatever else is like watching someone under hypnosis doing things they wouldn't consent to doing while in control of their selves.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, there was a dust up at comicon because of a comment Capaldi made in reference to her character. He said something to the effect of "I think he'd like to see his granddaughter again."

Folks are going a little overboard, considering there's no reason to believe he was saying the character actually is Susan.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I just don't want to see Susan again in any capacity. I hated her and her endless high-pitched screeching. Nails down a chalkboard, that girl. Best part of early Doctor Who was the day we finally got shot of her!

Guerrien

Fire Bad, Tree Pretty
Registered
Reaction score
Suspect the mysterious character in question could be Moffat baiting the fans again. I think I read somewhere that she was going to be in one of the two-parters, so it's entirely possible that they've taken the line from the second episode and just presented it like it's a returning character we already know to get the fans excited/speculating/providing Moffat with a chance to rub his hands together and gleefully say 'no one's guessed it yet' again. People not being able to guess the plot twists isn't clever when the plot's batcrap random.

Also STILL want to know if anything's going to come from the Cumbria references. I'm Cumbrian and therefore can't help but notice them--Kendal mint cake, ignorance is Carlisle, the caves Matt Smith was wandering around at the start of an episode at some point, etc. etc. Gimme my Cumbrian connection, Moffat, it is driving me nuts. (But then, I'm still waiting to see if the plot threads left over from that season (no idea, too lazy to Google) when the TARDIS blew up are ever going to be resolved/make any sense, so...I guess I should stop holding my breath before I turn blue. Or die.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to believe she's someone like The Rani, leading into an interesting storyline, they've already said that Capaldi's Doctor is supposed to have a short arc with River Song. My money's on Moffatt making River the youngest legally aged character in appearance but also still in super-love with the Doctor.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Which, if that's the case, is problematic on SO many levels. What, would Alex Kingston suddenly be "too old"?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like her two episodes start with one called "The Girl Who Died," which could apply to River, but I'd forgotten about Jenny. The Doctor's "daughter" could be a possibility, too. I'd rather see that scenario play out.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm holding out hope that she's the computerized version we've seen before and not another trip on the River-loves-Doctor train. He's fixing the TARDIS and hits a switch and she appears or something.

River as a one-off was awesome, just like the Clara-Dalek was awesome. She's not sustainable as a character.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I like river so I'm happy. Plus it's the river from just before the byzantium, which is why she was pleased to see that he had his baby face again.

Speculation disguised as fact of course.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I been reading the early pages. It like having a tardis. And it's funny reading the reactions to Katherine tate joining the cast. Sort of want to reply to every single post.