• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Moreen Littrell

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a new listing on Publishers Marketplace for Murphy Management. The agent's name is Moreen Littrell. She is looking for writers to expand the writing division of the agency.

I didn't see anything here or on PE. I also googled her and just got an IMDB listing of her movies. Does anyone have any other knowledge about this agent/agency?

Thanks

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
(redundant link removed)

Last edited:

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't understand. Can you help me out--
If everyone waits a year or just waits period how is she supposed to gain a rep whether good or bad?
Just asking as she seemed really nice and all :shrug:

I'm also curious about this.

Surely she needs writers to show a little faith, take a chance on her, in order to start building her rep.

Someone has to be her first.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As has been repeated ad nauseum, "agent" is not an entry-level position. Either she learned what she needs to do before she stuck out on her own, or she didn't. If she did, she'll have sales within a year to demonstate her effectiveness (via subs passed to her from other agents who already know her worth). If she didn't, you don't want her to practice on your book.

I suggest reading Hapi's FAQ thread again.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As has been repeated ad nauseum, "agent" is not an entry-level position. Either she learned what she needs to do before she stuck out on her own, or she didn't. If she did, she'll have sales within a year to demonstate her effectiveness (via subs passed to her from other agents who already know her worth). If she didn't, you don't want her to practice on your book.

Perhaps not.

But she's also looking to represent screenwriters, and she boasts a credible CV within the industry. Her contacts could be ideal for a first-time screenwriter looking for representation.

I know very little about publishing, but I have worked for several different TV companies, and a couple of them relied on WM to package proposals geared towards the US market. IMO her past experience and former contacts in this field should ensure that, at the very least, she'll be taken seriously.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Hey guys, I don't understand. Can you help me out--
If everyone waits a year or just waits period how is she supposed to gain a rep whether good or bad?
Just asking as she seemed really nice and all :shrug:

People will sign with her anyway. She'll have a reputation, good or bad, a year from now, regardless of how many Absolute Write participants stay clear of her during that time period. The real question is whether you want to be one of her experimental projects. Generally the answer is "no" to this.

Imagine this analogy: what if doctors weren't required to get degrees, but just followed another doctor around for a while and then struck out on their own. Imagine that these doctors were then judged a year later on how many of their patients died. Would you want to be one of those test cases?

Now think about this agent. She has worked in the industry, so there's ample reason to think that she has some idea of what she is doing. But there's no way of knowing yet whether she will take good care of your baby book, or botch it so badly that you'll never be able to get another caretaker for it. There are plenty of agents out there who have already developed their reputations, and waiting is cheap.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Someone has to be her first.

True. Let it be someone else.

If something goes wrong, all you'll feel is a poignant sympathy over what happened to their books. If they're your books, though -- that'll hurt.

Abbey

Registered
Reaction score
Just bumping this up.

Anyone have any personal experience with Moreen Littrell, besides what's listed at Pub Marketplace or on the Murphy Talent Group website. I know she's looking for novels that would adapt well to film. It sounds like a tough market.

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've had some personal experience and it wasn't encouraging.

She asked for my manuscript and after it sat with her for 3 months, I emailed a polite inquiry about status. Nothing.

When she ubdated her listing, the email had changed, so I emailed again. Still nothing.

Finally, after 5 months, I wrote and asked her to withdraw my MS from consideration (another agent wanted it as an exclusive.) Guess what? Instant reply for Moreen.

She claimed she never got my emails, had started/stopped reading my MS, was overwhelmed by submissions, it wasn't her fault, yada yada. She was very nice, but, I don't think she was being completely honest.

She also basically said it was no skin off my nose since there was no expense involved on my part. She forgot that she had asked for BOTH hard copy and an emailed copy of my manuscript.

She doesn't ask for an exclusive, so I suppose no harm. But what happens if you sign with her? I don't believe the experience will be a good one. I believe your MS will sit in limbo for at least a year and never sell to anyone.

By the way, my MS has already been optioned for film rights. There is a screen play written based on a much earlier/different version of it. It was shopped by the screenwriter's very good agent, but like most options, wasn't picked up. Getting an option and some money out of it wasn't that hard. But it's like being engaged to be engaged; no guarantees on the next step.

Abbey

Registered
Reaction score
Repunzel, Thanks for that! Doesn't sound very encouraging. I guess I'll pass on sending my mss.

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Abbey, you're welcome. I believe there are a lot of agents you should query before this one. They all have subagents for film rights if your project sounds like it would lend itself to film

Good Luck!

Abbey

Registered
Reaction score
Hah. Glad I didn't send her anything. Her publishers marketplace page has been removed. Hmmm.......

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Not surprised at all. Fly by night at best, IMHO.