Not open for further replies.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Anybody know anything useful about 'em?

I got a great artist wants to do one, wants me to write. But I don't know the first thing about them. My knowledge is all based on print.

I'm talking about the stuff AFTER the comic is done. How they work (seems like you're giving it away for free)? Anything?

Thanks in advance.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I know they mostly work if you have no intention of making money off 'em. The Pete Abrams and Bill Holbrock's of the web-comic world are few and far between.

That said, it's a fun medium and I lose plenty of time reading web-based comics.

But that's all I've got. I know nothing, I'm afraid.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Well I guess I'm heading into uncharted waters.

COOL!

All the best adventures start that way.

My take (in no particular order) is...

- Yeah, not gonna get rich doing it.
- A page a week is really slow.
- Why is anyone gonna want to buy it collected as a TPB later, when they already read it for free online?
(OK, I know this MUST work, because I know of at least two publishers who use this model.)​
- A page a week is very do-able working around other projects.
- For as long as the project lasts, I have a constantly growing on-line sample.
- I get exposure.
- I get a "fan" base.
(Is it just me, or is that weird? I've already had a couple of "fan" messages and it's just strange. I'm a normal guy, not someone famous who gets fans!)​
- It costs me pretty much nothing, even the time is negligable on such a long stretched out production period.
- If all goes well, it gets picked up for release as a TPB at which point, all the work is done and it's all gravy.

I was gonna do it anyways, mostly 'cos the artist does great work. The guy is also one of the good guys, which makes it even better! The money is less of an issue than the exposure it could generate (even if the readership isn't massive, I can work it so the right people see it).

Don't get me wrong, money would be nice, but the way I see it, if I can have fun, make a great "book," and work with some talented creatives, the money is a bonus and will come eventually if I do good work.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I was going to make mention of Pete Abrahms. The only other web comic I read is Las Lindas. I don't know the name of the artist though :( SHe has some sort of donation system set up where if she gets a certain amount she'll put out an extra comic.

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
I am a total webcomic addict. :D The world totally needs more webcomics, and since you've already got a willing artist, I say go for it! There's tons of free comic hosting sites online (drunk duck, keenspace, etc), so aside from investing your time and energy, its all benefits with no costs (just not financial benefits, most likely). You shouldn't expect to make money off of a webcomic, but still, there's enough good points to make it worthwhile if you have the time. The biggest one I think is being the fanbase--especially when you've got other stuff that is in print, that you can point your fans to.

And there are ways to motivate people to buy a TPB version of your webcomic. The best way I can think of (or at least, the kind that, as a comic purchaser, I always like the best) is extra content--extra comic material that you can't get online. In Ursula Vernon's Digger, this takes the form of several pages of extra (and entertaining) background; In the comic 9th Elsewhere, its in the form of extended conversations within the chapters. Some people really like to have the book versions of comics, so a little bit of incentive can be enough to get rid of their money-spending guilt over buying something that is already free.

Some comics, especially in long running ones where the early art isn't the same quality as the more recent art, go as far as to redo sections of the comic; Inverloch redid the prologue, and Earthsong reded the whole dang first and second volumes. But, that's the kinda time consuming I wouldn't get into unless it's really necessary; and if your art is good in the first place, I wouldn't waste the time when you can be drawing new stuff.

Aside from selling copies of the book, some really successful webcomics do make money in other ways. Dominic Deegan has wallpapers offered every month that you can get for a $1 donation. He also sells posters and t-shirts. the most amazing thing, though, was when he did a donation drive, promising to do twice as much comic every week if he could get...I think it was about $12,000 in donations in a couple of months. And it totally worked. o.o The comic Alien Dice does a similar thing, where it promises extra updates if they meet a monthly donation quota. So for some people, the begging+bribing combo works well. XD

Those are exceptions to the rules though; but still, can't hurt and you may make a little extra hand cash. Maybe.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a web comic addict but I appreciate a good one. What type a person prefers .... is subject to taste.

I like this one. I even collaborated on it. (just a little)(I can't draw fer ****)

It's not his day job but .... he may be able to answer some questions for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.