• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jennifer Lyons Literary Agency (formerly Lyons & Pande Int'l)

Aeneas

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info or has heard anything about Lyons and Pande International? They are located in New York. I've checked their website where they present a rather short client list, but with some interesting names. I simply don't get a 'feel' for this agency.

Thanks for any info. A.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
If you have seen the website, what is the link?

Regards,
Scott

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
They look pretty solid to me. One of the agents worked at Writer's House, which is one of the biggest agencies in the U.S., and they have published books through Norton and Simon & Schuster. I bet you could find more info if you searched for them online.

Apryl

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I met Jennifer Lyons at a conference a couple of years ago. Seemed very savvy and professional. After she'd had my work for a couple of months, I got a very nice rejection.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Lyons & Pande is now The Jennifer Lyons Literary Agency, LLC. (Pande has joined Collins Literary.)

Aeneas

Registered
Reaction score
Lyons and Pande

Thank you all! And thanks Cao!

I did write them, when I first posted all this. It took them a very long time to answer, with a rejection; of course. By that time I had moved on.

Well, I moved on a lot lately. Hehehehe.

Aeneas:roll:

oldschool

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Lyons expressed interest in representing me while still partnered with Pande. I was considering a couple of offers at the time. I arranged a phone meeting, owing to her previous reputation with Writers House; she blew it off. I arranged another phone meeting; she blew that off. All the while, writing me virtually incoherent e-mails. Typical increasingly unprofessional conduct among agents.

JacksonMcGees

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Lyons expressed interest in representing me while still partnered with Pande. I was considering a couple of offers at the time. I arranged a phone meeting, owing to her previous reputation with Writers House; she blew it off. I arranged another phone meeting; she blew that off. All the while, writing me virtually incoherent e-mails. Typical increasingly unprofessional conduct among agents.

Wow, that's only a little scary...

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Oldschool, can you elaborate with some details and specifics? This is the third agent thread you've commented on where the agent comes from a reputable background and you've stated that they've behaved unprofessionally in some fashion toward you. Is it possible that something else was or is going on?

Last edited:

oldschool

Registered
Reaction score
Birol, I can't control how agents conduct their business toward me. My comments about Ms. Lyons are self-explanatory. I did not save her e-mail correspondence, nor do I remember the dates of the phone appointments she blew off. Re: David Austern: I don't know why a young agent assistant would express interest in representing me, then claim he was too busy. Re: Ian Kleinert - I did keep the usurious contract he sent me, and the correspondence detailing the four weeks in which he wasted my time before "stepping aside." I would be happy to share that material with a board moderator privately if asked. Kleinert's background with Frank Weimann I would not consider entirely reputable, even though they sell lots of books. Certain informed authors know what I mean.

My purpose in posting my replies is to illustrate the importance to new and mid-list authors of finding an agent who will reply to their e-mails and return phone calls in a timely and professional manner. Just because an agent sells books and isn't a scammer, doesn't necessarily mean that such authors will be represented effectively. As a twice-published NF author, over the years I have noticed an increasing lack of civility and professionalism among agents. And I am not the only one. One of the main people on this board suggested that I post my experiences. They are what they are. If other authors want to query these agents, and have success with them, so be it.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Well, no, they're not really all that self-explanatory. What one person might consider unprofessional, other might see valid reasons for. For example, who asked for the phone interviews? You or Jennifer Lyons? Did you insist upon them even after she expressed a reluctance?

I am not disagreeing with you that an agent can be legit and not right for a certain author for a number of reasons. I also agree that it is important for a writer to find an agent who they can work with on a longterm, continuing basis. However, and I'm just being honest here, when I see a new member whose credits and personality I don't know arrive and post one bad experience after another with otherwise reputable agents, claiming that there is "an increasing lack of civility and professionalism among agents," I have to wonder if there's not more to the story. For example, did the writer have unrealistic expectations -- it has been known to happen -- or did the agent find that the writer's personality incompatible with theirs? They idea of an agent-writer being able to work together is something that must go both ways.

For the most part, the complaints you've posted have been somewhat vague and non-specific and when I simply ask for more details, you respond

Certain informed authors know what I mean.

which is a rather backhand way of implying that I'm not an informed author and should not ask questions of you. This although you do not know my background, personality, or reputation. Such tactics are contrary to your stated purpose of wanting to assist new(er) writers in their agent search.

Your experiences are certainly welcomed -- although again, I would argue that stating you were asked to post your experiences by "one of the main people of this board" is a somewhat vague assertion and seems to have an underlying insinuation that I should not ask questions of you. Again, this seems at odds with your stated purpose of wanting to inform newer writers engaging in the agent search. (I would also argue that other than MacAllister Stone, the board owner, there are simultaneously no main people on this board and many main people and who one views as such an individual is dependent on one's perspective and personal interactions.)

For my part, I just want the individuals reading here to have as much information as possible in order to be able to make an informed decision. To do that, they need as much information as possible so they can weight and evaluate everyone's individual opinions and experiences accordingly.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
By certain, I believe that is meant to mean only a few. I fall into that group of knowing the specifics and can't blame oldschool for being reluctant to go publicly into further details on this point. I hope you'll take my word that oldschool is not trying to imply you're uninformed.

JacksonMcGees

Registered
Reaction score
Um, anyone else know anything about her? This is all a little vague, but I understand why you might not want to be specific. Has anyone else here actually worked with her?

Perm Dude

Jennifer Lyons

My company has worked with Jennifer for over ten years. Truth be told, the idea of Lyons & Pande never really worked. Pande was, at best, a junior agent and never developed her own strong client list, and Jennifer's clients were really carrying the load. Not long ago she started her own place (The Jennifer Lyons Literary Agency LLC) which is probably the best thing for her.

Essentially, she took all her clients from Writers House (many of which were the old Joan Daves Agency writers), then built up a number of writers on her own. Her Publishers Marketplace page gives some details:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/Steve/

Her list of clients (and co-agents) is pretty solid.

That all said, it doesn't surprise me that someone might have gotten an "unprofessional" response while the Lyons & Pande entity was around. It happens. I myself have sent out unprofessional responses in my career (we all have). I don't think any response, even an unprofessional one, takes away from the author relationships she's obviously built over 19 years .

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
About 2 1/2 weeks for a form rejection...

I think that I'm toughening up - there's no *ouch* anymore when I read rejections from agents ;)

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
About 2 1/2 weeks for a form rejection...

I think that I'm toughening up - there's no *ouch* anymore when I read rejections from agents ;)

Oh I don't know, I still get the ouch....and allow myself to sulk for a minute or two before moving on.:D

tempered_steel

Writing, fencing, and chocolate!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query on 11/20 by mail and recieved a rejection by email today, 11/24.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Partial requested

Just wanted to let those who might want to know know that I received a partial from the Jennifer Lyons Literary Agency.

Query sent: 12/14 via snail mail
Partial requested: 12/21 via e-mail

I'll let you know what happens. The novel is a YA contemporary fantasy, by the way.

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Wow that was quick for snail mail! Congrats and good luck :D