• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

R & S Literary Agency (Sara Merlene)

eparrot

Registered
Reaction score
or any other info besides what's on their web site? Site is at http://rs_literary.tripod.com/

I didn't find any previous posts on in the AW index on this agency, so I figured I'd ask. The web site doesn't impress me, but I can think of several agencies that have sold numerous books about which I can say the same thing. I cannot find a record of sales with a Google search, although one of the principals is named Sara Merlene and she has a published book called the Haunting Lullaby with PUblish America.

All of which makes me skeptical, but this is the place to see if anyone else has information.

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I can't find anything about them either...

I looked them up online and could not find anything about them. If they have published a book through Publish America, & do not have any recent sales, then I would be VERY wary of them. Of course sometimes there are new literary agents that sprout up now and then, but usually you can track down the reputable agencies if you search their name on google. P & E doesn't say anything bad about them, but I would do a little more research before you send them anything.

When I clicked on their electronic submission link, I noticed there was a typo on the word, "google."

Apryl

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'd run far, far away from this one.

First, you don't find professionals using Tripod for their main site. It's right up there with Freewebs as a huge sign that they're not willing to even put the money up for their domain name.

Second... anything to do with PA - run in the other direction. The fact that they've "published" through PA and haven't tried to get out of their contract shows how ignorant they are of the business. They have absolutely NO experience in the publishing world and it shows.

jmo, of course... but I'd get as far away from them as you can.

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
Um... anything related to PublishAmerica means you need to run far, far away. Good luck!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Another amateur agency, with "agents" who have absolutely no relevant professional experience. For heaven's sake, even a gas station looking to hire a cashier wants someone with previous experience. Why do people think that literary agents are an exception to the general rule that you need training and skills to do a job?

Anyhow. I'm sure these folks are well-intentioned. They just have no qualifications to do the job they're advertising themselves as capable of doing.

- Victoria

eparrot

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone, that confirms what I thought. I'll stick with the other 200 agents on my query list :)

- Ed

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Scenario: Unagented/non commercially published author hangs out agent shingle, manufactures letterhead, and query/submits own books (or friend's books) to top line editors at the major publishing houses.

A very sneaky, but unfortunate way to dupe the system. It explains the sparse website--it's just enough to carry the guise of a legit agency, without having to explain much of anything else. Until you look more closely.

Several PA authors have done this.

Tri

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site hasn't been updated since '02, and there's no sign of clients or sales.