The Swastika Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, because this thread is about telling one of our members that he can't use his sacred symbol. I am willing to be part of the nasty campaign to support his freedom of religion. The Star of David is often mistaken, by the ignorant, for a Satanist pentacle but that isn't a good reason to censor it or suggest people should be too ashamed to display it.
Have you given equal weight to both sides? I can see that you are fully on Bart's side, but what about the offended party? Have you thoroughly vetted that?

eta: see, you can never convince me. This is a board where I had my freedom of speech abridged (and a two star thread locked) because I dared to use the tern "Islamofascist." You people aren't all about freedom of anything. Somebody has an anti-semitic agenda ... and it is showing.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes, I thought about it very carefully. But freedom of religion is an absolute. It must be defended at all costs by all people in a free society. I know none of these people personally and a directed only by my own beleifs. Just because someone is offended doesn't mean they are right.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Sorry, kiddo, the swastika was a worldwide symbol before the Nazi's got a hold of it. I think your complaint needs to reach a little further than just this set of boards.
Unless I'm incorrect, I believe the swastika (going in the direction it is now) was birthed from Catholicism....

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Yes, because this thread is about telling one of our members that he can't use his sacred symbol. I am willing to be part of the nasty campaign to support his freedom of religion. The Star of David is often mistaken, by the ignorant, for a Satanist pentacle but that isn't a good reason to censor it or suggest people should be too ashamed to display it.
:( So is the Wiccan pentacle. I have to go through loads of crap to wear mine.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It's a fascinating symbol with a very long past--from well before the advent of Judeo-Christian religions and politics.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Generally speaking, the Buddhist "swatstika" is flowing clockwise, and is aligned as if resting squarely. That Nazi bad boy is flowing counterclockwise, and is usally aligned on end, like a diamond. They would therefore be as different as, say, a Confederate stars-and-bars cross, and a crucifix.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rudeness offends me more than any symbol which inherently means nothing.

If others want to attach meaning to it, just like letters of the alphabet, numbers or a vague scribble on a piece of paper, so be it. But rudeness never endears your argument to those on 'the other side'.

Plenty of people on these boards offend me. You know what? I just suck it up.

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I thought about it very carefully. But freedom of religion is an absolute. It must be defended at all costs by all people in a free society. I know none of these people personally and a directed only by my own beleifs. Just because someone is offended doesn't mean they are right.
See, that doesn't work for me. The swastika will be forever associated with fascist murders. Deal with it. Don't blame me. Direct your anger at the bastards who forever soiled your sacred symbol.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
:( So is the Wiccan pentacle. I have to go through loads of crap to wear mine.

Quite so. Although I must admit that my response was to get a larger one :) I have a lot of conversations about that necklace but they almost always end well when I explain the history of the symbol and it's meaning to me. Ditto my green man badge.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

I agree with V. And we do allow freedom of speech, and that's why you don't see this thread being censored, and we do try to see every point of view. But for someone to come here, accuse a Buddhist for using a hate symbol, is WRONG. And we certainly are not going to ask anyone to stop using a peace symbol that has nothing to do with hate or the Nazis (again, please study the sybmols and note the differences).

There is a thread somewhere called "I'm Offended by..." Maybe that's a good place to go and vent.

Reaction score
See, that doesn't work for me. The swastika will be forever associated with fascist murders. Deal with it. Don't blame me. Direct your anger at the bastards who forever soiled your sacred symbol.

Wow. Suppose those evil Catholics better stop using the cross, too, in case anyone thinks they're anti-muslim crusaders.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

That's where you are WRONG. Go to a Buddhist temple.

YOU are the one who will forever associate the swastika with fascist murders. Millions of Buddhists and Hindus don't agree with you.

Again, please study the symbols and note the difference.

I am sorry it "doesn't work for you." But unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve around you, so I suggest that you do what ScarletPeaches does: suck it up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Nobody is saying that Hitler invented the swastika. Some people are saying (and I am one of them) that since 30 million people were slaughtered under that symbol, as misused by the Nazis, it just MIGHT be a bit offensive. And honestly .... is this message board the place to launch your "swastikas rock" campaign? Seriously?

It isn't the same symbol. It really really isn't.

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Suppose those evil Catholics better stop using the cross, too, in case anyone thinks they're anti-muslim crusaders.
I AM an anti muslim crusader, actually. And Catholic. ;)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There seems to be a belief that feelings are always right and always a trump card. Just as thoughts can be factually incorrect, so can feelings--and we can decide to change them.

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't the same symbol. It really really isn't.
Med you of all people I respect. It doesn't matter which way the G.D. thing is facing ........ we ALL KNOW what happend to it eventually. You people keep trying to talk ancient history ... I am just pointing out that in the last 80 years MOST people don't see your peaceful what the hell ever. And it is considered offensive. Ands apparently we are real selective about WHOM we choose not to offend on this board.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
There seems to be a belief that feelings are always right and always a trump card. Just as thoughts can be factually incorrect, so can feelings--and we can decide to change them.

We kinda hashed this thought to death in the Slavery apology thread.

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I AM an anti muslim crusader, actually. And Catholic. ;)
That's a joke ..... dang. This isn't even my thread ..... why am I putting myself through this? :)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
manson_half.jpg

.........."i'm a hindooooo, man!"

Reaction score
I can understand the argument that most people associate the swastika with Nazism. Is that any reason, on the basis of the past 70 years, to change 7000 years' worth of religious heritage?

Status
Not open for further replies.