AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iota Publishing

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch WPR Dominatrix JeanneTGC's Avatar

Iota Publishing

Does anyone have information about this publisher, Iota Publishing.

http://www.bijouresearch.com/IotaHome.asp

They say they're traditional and new. It sounds like they have a sound publishing plan, but I'd like to check with our resident experts to be sure.
    Jeanne

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
    Coming December 2017, Aliens Abroad -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Here's the response I sent to someone who recently wrote me to ask about Iota Publishing:

I've never before heard anything about this publisher, either good or bad. I'm a bit concerned, however, because the person behind the publisher, Terry R. Cooper of Bijou Research, doesn't seem to have any professional background in publishing or publishing-related activities. The submissions process is odd, with authors required to obtain registration numbers. Also, Iota hasn't yet published anything. They've announced a couple of books, but that's not the same as actually putting them on the market.

Unless you are absolutely sure that the staff of a new publisher have genuine publishing industry experience, it's a good idea to wait to hook up with a new publisher until it has actually published some books. Not only does this assure you that the publisher is able to take books all the way through the production process, it allows you to assess things like physical quality, whether or not the publisher is getting review coverage, and how it's marketing its books. New publishers often get into financial trouble (especially if they start up without a business plan), or overcommit their resources, and go out of business abruptly, sometimes without ever publishing a single book. This can be a problem for writers, leaving rights in limbo. It's really much better to hold off on considering a publisher until it has demonstrated some staying power.

- Victoria

P.S. "Traditional," as has often been discussed here, means only that you won't have to pay an upfront fee. It tells you nothing about how the publisher actually operates--for instance, whether it provides competent editing or has any means of distribution.

Thanks much, Victoria!
    Jeanne

IotaEd
    I agree with Victoria -- good advice. And I'm the owner/editor at Iota. I hope you'll give us another 3-6 months and take a second look. We're not literary geniuses or publishing wizards, but we do know how to run a company. This is not rocket science, though (but I have done some of that). It seems there's a lot of folklore and booga-booga (technical term for scary stories that warn you away) about publishing, much of which we've found to be just that. The proof will be whether or not we can successfully market our books. Stay tuned.

And here's my question - does anyone actually think you can get a debut author's novel on the shelves at a chain without doing a book signing there?

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    My partner recently published her first novel with a small press, and plenty of people have said they bought her book at their local Barnes and Nobles or Borders. Since these readers were shopping in the USA, and we live on the other side of the planet, obviously no book signings were involved.

So yes, I actually think the publisher got her debut novel onto the shelves of chain bookstores.

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IotaEd View Post
    I agree with Victoria -- good advice. And I'm the owner/editor at Iota. I hope you'll give us another 3-6 months and take a second look. We're not literary geniuses or publishing wizards, but we do know how to run a company. This is not rocket science, though (but I have done some of that). It seems there's a lot of folklore and booga-booga (technical term for scary stories that warn you away) about publishing, much of which we've found to be just that. The proof will be whether or not we can successfully market our books. Stay tuned.

And here's my question - does anyone actually think you can get a debut author's novel on the shelves at a chain without doing a book signing there?
    Debut novels get stocked on shelves every day. It's a function of the publisher, not the author.

If the publisher is small and unknown a signing or two might help get the ways lubricated for getting books on to store shelves. The trick is for them to sell once they are on those shelves.

Regards,
    Scott
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]

I'd stay away based on that statement alone.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Yes.

Next question?

practical experience, FTW LloydBrown's Avatar
    It's been done hundreds of times by the collective talent here at AW, by publishers of all sizes.

I answered that one, so it's my turn: does anyone actually want a publisher who *can't* get your book on a shelf without a book signing?
    Lloyd Brown
    www.lloydwrites.com

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Yes.

Next question?
    I like seeing first time authors on the shelves; a fresh voice that may become my next favorite author. I suspect many others feel the same way and that's why many first time authors are shelved face out in bookstores.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    No offense, but this tells me that you've got a steep learning curve ahead of you. I don't doubt you know how to run a company, but if you knew how to run a publisher, you wouldn't have to ask this question.

The answer, as others have pointed out, is "yes." And you don't have to be Random House to manage it.

- Victoria

Absolutely Fazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Havlen View Post
    I'd stay away based on that statement alone.
    So would I. I buy debut authors' books all the time. The author wasn't anywhere in the vicinity of my state, let alone that particular bookstore.

Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Yes.

Without repeating what Jim and Victoria have said, and based on your assertions that you have business management experience and assuming that your claims of a science background are not hyperbole, what led you to publishing?

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Yowza. It happened with me. All over the country. And I'm still at the "John who...?" stage of my career.
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL, WildBlue Press

www.cameronbanebooks.com

IotaEd

Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate the examples and opinions.

practical experience, FTW LloydBrown's Avatar
    I appreciate the examples and opinions.
    And yet don't actually engage anyone in conversation.
    Lloyd Brown
    www.lloydwrites.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    So, three to six months later, they have a website: http://www.iotapublishing.com/IotaHome.asp

And have competed their first print runs, but can't release them until 2008: http://www.iotapublishing.blogspot.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

The website hasn't been updated since June (I know because I looked at it over the summer and nothing's changed) -- I don't know if that's indicative of anything, but printed books sitting in the warehouse for nine months has to be disheartening for all involved.
    Jeanne

Agreed, but from their blog it sounds like it is the distributors fault, not Iota's. At least they have a distributor though, compared to most other small presses. Right?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    It seems to me that if they can't pick a good distributor and avail themselves of their services smoothly, that is the publishers fault. Other small presses manage.
    Emily Veinglory

From the sound of the blog entry, it sounds like they went with Independent Publisher's Group. I don't know much about the distribution side of things, but I think they have a pretty good reputation. I could be wrong, but I think its much better off for their authors to have the books wait in a warehouse a few months and be distributed by IPG than for the publisher to just sign with Ingrams and have the books available earlier.

Has anyone had any actual experience with them? Are any of their authors here?

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar

Iota

I submitted my MS to them back in Aug and today I got a rejection from them. I am not disappointed because the announcement on their website talks about the problems they had with distribution that held up releases of books they now have in print and they also said they are looking for new releases in 2009. They are still small and will only publish a few books a year.

Jennifer Robins

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Enigma101's Avatar
    Here's a link for one of their books.

http://www.amazon.com/Angels-Fall-Mi.../dp/0979372011

Greetings!

I am one of Iota's authors. My book will be released on October 1. I just spent all of Saturday at the Book Expo America with Terry Cooper, his wife (and business partner), and Iota's publicist. There I saw my book on the shelf for the first time and was handed a galley copy. A good moment, I can tell you!

I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience with Iota and staff. I had a terrific experience with their editor. We worked on the book all summer. They then paid for a professional copyeditor, a cover artist (I'm thrilled with the result). The book will be printed in Michigan, warehoused in Chicago, and distributed by IPG. It is on page twelve of IPG's small press fall catalogue. I will be going on a book tour as well, organized by Iota's publicist, whom I share with only three other writers. And in the fall, Terry, my editor, and I will be on a panel at the SCWC. Iota's publicist set that one up, too.

I can only emphasize the scale of the risk they are taking on me, a previously-unpublished writer. I feel I've hit the jackpot-- a small press that wants to produce hardback fiction. Not POD, not e-books. Hardback.

Want to visit the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Face-Lorelei-A...7889033&sr=8-1

Or me:

http://www.loreleiarmstrong.com

I am happy to answer any and all questions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast