This is the sort of thing that drives me nuts...

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
In the Writer's Digest CW&IM, for Atheneum (p.110), there is a bulleted section that says Atheneum does not accept unsolicited manuscripts. Send query letter only. But then further down under How to Contact/Writers it says send synopsis and first three chapters. Am I to assume that Atheneum considers a synopsis and three chapters to be a query? I thought that was a partial. Any ideas on this? Thanks.
:)

Jimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmjanik.homestead.com
Someone probably goofed, either at Writer's Digest or at Atheneum with the entry. Most publishers would request one or the other.

In any event, I'd just send the query letter. Save yourself postage. If you send the sample chapters they'll probably only read the first few lines of the first page anyway before they form their opinion. You'll need to grab them in just a sentence or two either way. Atheneum is huge. I'm sure all they'd want is the query.

A query letter is definitely not a partial. If they like your idea and your approach they will request the sample chapters. The process takes forever but that's how it works.

Write the best darn query letter you can though. I can't stress this enough. It's your foot in the door, so to speak. It has to be your very best writing.

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
That's sort of what I figured. Had to ask to be sure though. Thanks for taking the time, and thanks for the tips as well. :)

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience they take forever to respond, so I would send the whole MS for a picture book or first 3 chapters if it's longer. . .the difference in postage is quite small to save an extra 6+ months if they were to request your material off a query. Point to the part of WD that backs you up if needed :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Query

A query can be a letter, or it can be a partial. It's whatever a publisher says it is. By itself, the word "query" simply means no complete manuscripts.

A query letter means no chapters. The word "query" by itself, however, can mean many different things, which is why new writers need to get the details. Many publishers and agents who simply say "query first" will also look at partials.

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks James. You too RD. I'll make certain before I send anything. I don't mind getting bounced because an editor didn't like my ms, but it flames me when it happens because I didn't pay proper attention to the instructions. It's one of the most frustrating aspects of this business to me. I'm pretty good at following instructions, but it isn't easy when you get conflicting information. I really appreciate everybody taking the time to weigh in on this.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
In a previous issue of CW&IM, an editor from HarperCollins was bemoaning the perception that the market is closed to anyone except celebrities and previously published authors represented by agents, and how unfair it was. They LOVE new authors. They CHERISH discovering new talent!

The HarperCollins listing in the same edition specified in bold type Agented submissions only and the homepage of their website was devoted entirely to the Julie Andrews Collection.

Right hand doesn't know, etc., etc., eh? ;)

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
lol. Yeah. Doesn't know and apparently doesn't care.

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
The editor means, "We cherish discovering new talent as long as someone else (an agent) discovered it first so we don't have to read any slush."

sgcassidy

longue vie et de la vodka
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't slush bet spelled with four letters?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
An odd response to a very old thread.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's two zombie reanimations in a day. Are we heading for a zombie thread apocalypse? Old threads, marching across your desktop, moaning and eating your icons...