• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Creative Media Agency, Inc. (Paige Wheeler)

ymmatrysk

Greetings,
Does anyone know anything about the Creative Media Agency Inc? They requested a chunk of my manuscript and I can't find anything negative about them on line, but I've been burned so many times I'm really starting to question my b.s. detector. And, another question, if they are legit, it appears that they are heavy into the 'romance' category, which in a pinch I suppose might describe my novel, but not really. Is it harmful to a future career to be represented by an agency known for a particular genre?

Thanks!
Jen

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9Ford7

spywriter

Paige Wheeler?Creative Media???

I have just ben asked to submit the first three to this agency. Could anyone give me any info on them outside of what is on P and E? Thanks....

Dana

Hi everyone, I'm new to this message board. Thanks for all the good info I've read so far.

Paige Wheeler, formerly of Creative Media Agency, is now part of the newly organized Folio Literary Management. I sent her a query two months ago and just received, via snail mail, a request to see my first three chapters. Since it took two months for a reply to the query, I'm wondering how long it may take her to respond to the three chapters. Does anyone have anything else to say about Paige other than what has already been stated?

I'm impatient, as I think most of us are, but pretty happy to have finally received a good response to my query. I've only found good things about Paige Wheeler online, unless any of you have anything else to offer.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If she doesn't offer an "expect to hear from me by...", then give her three months before asking for status. Best of luck!

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
The last post on the topic of Folio Literary Management/Paige Wheeler suggested waiting three months before asking for status of a ms ... my question is: once Ms Wheeler requests chapters, synopsis, etc and asks for exclusivity (is that a word?), doesn't that put the onus on her to tender a speedy response? Three months to let my story sit, waiting for a yea or nay seems to be asking a lot.

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If she asked for exclusivity, you could let her know that you will grant her an exclusive read for two weeks or a month (or whatever time you are willing to give her) and let her know once that time limit has expired, you will allow other agents access to your work. I think that's the expected protocol. Or I suppose you could say others are reading and you can't grant an exclusive if that's the truth (or how you want to handle it.)

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I've met Paige at more than one conference, and she's a truly nice, genuine person, who is also a very good agent. She has a great reputation among the RWA folks I know, and I've been very impressed by her, both personally and professionally. Folio has some very good agents in it, so I would query there without concern about their legitimacy. I'd be very thrilled if they wanted to rep me.

Reactions: 9Ford7

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I've met Paige at more than one conference, and she's a truly nice, genuine person, who is also a very good agent. She has a great reputation among the RWA folks I know, and I've been very impressed by her, both personally and professionally. Folio has some very good agents in it, so I would query there without concern about their legitimacy. I'd be very thrilled if they wanted to rep me.

As I usually do -- because I feel obligated given what they did for my book -- when Folio comes up, I'll put in another good word for my agent here: Laney Katz Becker.

Very fine agent and a hellaciously hard worker. Nothing but good things to say about Laney and the folks at Folio.

bajaarizona

I was represented by Paige Wheeler and felt she did nothing for me. I found my book's publisher. She did offer to step aside and let me contract with them myself, but I hoped for full representation. As far as I could tell, I got nothing beyond, perhaps, a slight improvement in my advance. When the publisher was queried by an audio book company, I passed the information to Paige and never heard a word--even after asking at least half a dozen times. When I wrote a sequel and told her about it, she never expressed interest. So I sold that book direct to the publisher. She expressed shock that I hadn't kept her informed of what I was writing. There were significant complications in her personal life at that time, but either you represent your clients interests or you don't. My experience was of a very nice person who did nothing to assist me with my career. I would suggest caution in dealing with this agent.

J.M. Hayes

Last edited:

Paige Wheeler

Registered
Reaction score
I was represented by Paige Wheeler and felt she did nothing for me. I found my book's publisher. She did offer to step aside and let me contract with them myself, but I hoped for full representation. As far as I could tell, I got nothing beyond, perhaps, a slight improvement in my advance. When the publisher was queried by an audio book company, I passed the information to Paige and never heard a word--even after asking at least half a dozen times. When I wrote a sequel and told her about it, she never expressed interest. So I sold that book direct to the publisher. She expressed shock that I hadn't kept her informed of what I was writing. There were significant complications in her personal life at that time, but either you represent your clients interests or you don't. My experience was of a very nice person who did nothing to assist me with my career. I would suggest caution in dealing with this agent.

J.M. Hayes

I'm sorry that Mike was disappointed. This was a number of years ago and I was very surprised at his reaction b/c I saw the experience through a totally different lens. This really highlights for me the need to communicate frequently and effectively. I have a fabulous list of best-selling authors but ultimately it always comes down to a good working relationship. What works for one author may not work for another and I wish Mike all the best.

bobbrink

Registered
Reaction score
Paige Wheeler

I think the person who said Paige Wheeler switched from Creative Talent Agency to Folio has it backward: She left Folio to open Creative Talent. She is no longer listed with Folio.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
That piece appears to be written by Dystel & Goderich's agent Jim McCarthy and not by Paige Wheeler. Also, I'm not sure what it has to do with this thread.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I too thought the link bobbrink left here was inexplicable, until I scrolled through the comments, and noted that Paige Wheeler was one of the people who posted in the comments section to Jim's blog. It all makes sense now.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Ah, my bad.

Although I still don't see her comment being all that pertinent to dispelling doubts--not that I had any, per se. Also, it's possible to link to a specific comment, so I'm not sure that the comment is what bobbrink meant to draw attention to, as opposed to the post as a whole.

roswell1828

Registered
Reaction score
Creative Media Agency, Inc. Please Help!

Hey guys 😁

I’m trying to find out more information about an agency/agent who’s showing real interest in my MS. I’ve exhausted all of the resources I can via Google, and unfortunately just don’t have the current funds to subscribe to any sites that might be able to provide additional information.

The agency is CMA (Creative Media Agency, Inc.) and the agent is Shannon Snow. I know choosing the wrong agency/agent can be a career killer, so I’m trying to find out anything I can about them before deciding one way or another.

Any feedback you all have (good or bad) is greatly appreciated! 🥰

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
While I know nothing about CMA, I do know that choosing the wrong agent won't be a "career killer." It may be a mistake that will take a while to recover from, but it won't kill you. Many successful writers have gone through several (or more!) agents during the arc of their career.