AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Pagan Markets

Pagan Markets

Please post here with information about Pagan Markets and any details you may have about them.

Thanks!

~Sara

"There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees." ~ Hugo

Here's one:

Sage Woman
    And their submissions guide: http://www.sagewoman.com/submit.htm

All submissions should focus on issues of concern to Pagan and other Goddess-friendly women. We accept non-fiction prose related to women's spiritual experience.

~Sara

"There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees." ~ Hugo

Last edited by Sarita; 08-30-2007 at 11:48 PM.

~Sara

It all started with a little boo... wyntermoon's Avatar
    Thanks!
    Stacey Graham
    Associate agent | Red Sofa Literary
    agentstaceygraham.com | @staceyigraham

Your Cuddly Sociopathic AW Moderator Jaycinth's Avatar
    Hi Folks! Haven't visited for awhile...but today I was searching for markets and found this:

BBI, Inc.
    P.O. Box 641
    Point Arena CA 95468

Phone: (707)882-2052
    Fax: (707)882-2793
    E-mail: meditor@newwitch.com
    Web site: www.newwitch.com

Hope it can help someone!

Hugs!!!
    By JAYCINTH: I have my OWN PAGE at Aquarius Custom Jewelry. Please, come and see and like me on Facebook.
    I'm editing the 'Sensible Man' I STILL love these unpaid gigs

Llewellyn submission guidelines

Llewellyn annuals submissions (pdf)

Llewellyn general contact info

They aren't kidding about deadlines. Even if they lose your submission! ~laughing!~

What I did find working with them is that they really seem to be just regular folks. I haven't encountered any egos, and the paycheck was on time.

They aren't huge on fiction, although they will consider it.
    Last edited by Carole; 03-29-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Contrary to popular belief, I think the line between being direct and being rude is not thin, and most people are fully aware of when they have crossed it.

Come see some familiar faces at:

Bloggity Bloggity Blog

Blog, Part II

If you're interested in subbing fiction to Llewellyn, they have two separate imprints for that:

Midnight Ink, which is their fiction imprint for grownups: http://www.midnightinkbooks.com/subm...guidelines.php

Flux, which carries YA titles: http://www.fluxnow.com/submission_guidelines.php

I found this on Witchvox today: http://www.tarotworldmag.com/writers.htm

It's a new magazine, and she doesn't pay for submissions, but it might not be a bad way to get a few pub credits for those interested in building clips for the pagan market. I'll be sending her a review of my Jane tarot deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Saritams8 View Post

Maybe not so much on Spilled Candy. They're on hiatus, with return date as yet to be determined. I updated in Bewares & Background Checks.

The bones tell me...nothing.

(Willow)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenan Mac View Post
    Maybe not so much on Spilled Candy. They're on hiatus, with return date as yet to be determined. I updated in Bewares & Background Checks.
    Thanks for the update. Noted.

~Sara

The other day, I was looking in Writers Market and found a listing for newWitch. Here's their guidelines.
    ~Jen
    Now Available: DEVOTED TO CREATING

"Giving yourself permission to create and to do the worst frees you to do what you want. You can evaluate the results later." (from "Permission," Devoted to Creating)

Twilight Manor Press

I just stumbled on it and I haven't researched very much. Something to check out, at least.

Edited: Never mind. They were listed as pagan, but turned out to be fantasy based.

Contrary to popular belief, I think the line between being direct and being rude is not thin, and most people are fully aware of when they have crossed it.

Come see some familiar faces at:

Bloggity Bloggity Blog

Blog, Part II

This website has a list of sevaral markets:

http://www.thegreenwolf.com/poarp.html

Here's another:

http://www.cronechronicles.com/

I'm wondering if you guys know of any mainstream magazine that might accept fiction that is pagan related?

Rock and Squiggle plaidearthworm's Avatar
    Disa, wow, thanks for the great list! The Green Wolf is a very handy page, and I've bookmarked it. I'm not really up on fiction markets, so I don't have an answer for your question, although possibly the fantasy markets would be an option, like Realms of Fantasy.
    Did you know laughing makes you look younger? Drop a few years over at An Army of Ermas!

Every day is a geek holiday over at Pure Geek!

Is the moon rising in your house or are you just happy to see me? Check out your weekly forecast at Wisecrack Zodiac!

Writing like crazy-7 starts! Christabel_Roseau's Avatar
    The is also

We'moon
    www.wemoon.ws
    A publishing house that accepts personal stories/vignettes, artwork etc as it relates to all things women. The last deadlines for next years calendar are past (I think) but still a lovely little publication.
    Christabel

Surely the Sirens have a more deadly sound than their song. Namely their Silence. One might escape from their song, but from their silence? Certainly never. (Kafka)

FYI New Witch is now Witches and Pagans, and Listen Media is no more (If... Journal).

The Goddess Oracle accepts submissions for each Sabbat edition.

Vanilla Heart is quite pagan-friendly.

practical experience, FTW mariedees's Avatar
    Hi all,

Keep in mind that if you are looking for fiction markets, you'll find that many publishers will consider work with a Pagan theme, even if the publisher isn't specifically Pagan. You'd be surprised how many Pagans are scattered throughout the small press industry.

Check out this blog and look at the book list and you'll find we're published by a number of publishers who aren't specifically Pagan.
    http://thepaganandthepen.wordpress.com/
    "I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden doing whatever the hell I want." Robin Chotzinoff.

Very true, mariedees. I find that it's another story with agents, though. Finding one(s) who are pagan or pagan-friendly, and understand magickal practices, energy work, or specifically, modern uses of shamanism... Not an easy task.

practical experience, FTW mariedees's Avatar
    I've chatted with agents at conferences and found that most who work with fantasy, fantasy romance, erotic romance and similar genres have no problem working with Pagan clients. Many will mention an author or two that they already represent who is Pagan or Wiccan. I think what you may be seeing is that regardless of their feelings about Paganism, they will still choose to represent authors and books based on what sells in the market. If a fiction work with a Pagan theme can appeal to a wider market, the chances of selling it increases greatly because the number of buyers has increased.

An agent's job isn't really to understand magical workings but to know if any of the big markets out there are currently interested in publishing books featuring it as a topic. If the publisher's interest isn't there, they can't sell the book. It doesn't just happen with Pagan topics. I've had agents tell me they weren't interested in seeing my mystery novels because those aren't selling and ask if I have romance or can make the mysteries into romantic suspense because those sell better.

A similar thing happens with Pagan non-fiction. If the largest publisher is Llewellyn and there isn't much competition in the market as far as advances offered for books, agents aren't going to be interested. Because they just aren't going to make money from representing the book. Understanding magical workings won't change that.
    "I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden doing whatever the hell I want." Robin Chotzinoff.

figuring it all out

We'Moon

No financial compensation, but it is one of my favorite pagan publications, the next deadline is Sept 1, 2010

http://www.wemoon.ws/call.html

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarita View Post
    Here's one:

Sage Woman
    And their submissions guide: http://www.sagewoman.com/submit.htm
    They have sister publications "Crone" and "Witches and Pagans", I have done some unpaid illustration work for the latter and found them to be enjoyable to work with.
    Emily Veinglory