• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

NF Publishing

Stuffedtoy

Registered
Reaction score
There is a flashlight in the dark tunnel (Oh no, no batteries) But on the bright side... thanks for the Kid reference - haven't been called that in a long long time.

lynnmarie

The whole truth, and nothing but the truth, please

Greetings to all,

I just joined Absolute Write, which I found through a Google search.

I am one of NF Publishing's original authors, and we authors are trying to determine who is telling the truth about NF. I received a mysterious e-mail today from someone who says they are NF's accountant. This person stated that the messages on the boards are false and the company is sound. I was asked if I wanted out of my contract.

I cautiously declined at this time, but told the person I didn't know whom to believe. The e-mail also stated that Stacey Kohan has left NF to go to a different career. I know the NF website is down, and a new one is non-functional yet.

I am Googling for more information, trying to get at the truth. I e-mailed the founder of NF, Nickie Moens, who turned the company over to Stacey Kohan (because Nickie developed a tumor.) I read on another site that NF is being sued for non-payment.

I'm continuing my research because I'm determined to learn who's actually lying here. My feeling is that NF is going down the tubes, and it is the company's remaining officials putting out the lies. It's hard to dispute postings like Pressman's, saying he's owed thousands in unpaid print fees. I must know the truth, because in time I'll have to know whom to trust for future submissions.

I appreciate any input anyone is willing to give.

Thanks and God bless.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest that you try and think of a reason for their other authors and a range of industry pros to lie and create this thread at such length to support heir lies and risk their reputations in the process.

Then try and think of a reason why a publisher would try to pretend they were doing better than they are.

Generally the simplest explanation is the accurate one.

Pressman

Any business must be on the state registry in which the company is doing business for tax purposes if nothing else!!
The government requires this.

Go check with The Department of State of Tennessee.
I have........NO NF PUBLISHING registered!!!!!!

My guess would be someones got some explaining to do!!
I may not get a penny out of NF, but you rest assured the U.S. government will get theirs!

SeattleGhostWriter

Obsessive is just a less complimentary term for "d
Registered
Reaction score
Website
reasoningwiththecritics.wordpress.com
Greetings to all,

I just joined Absolute Write, which I found through a Google search.

I am one of NF Publishing's original authors, and we authors are trying to determine who is telling the truth about NF. I received a mysterious e-mail today from someone who says they are NF's accountant. This person stated that the messages on the boards are false and the company is sound. I was asked if I wanted out of my contract.

I cautiously declined at this time, but told the person I didn't know whom to believe. The e-mail also stated that Stacey Kohan has left NF to go to a different career. I know the NF website is down, and a new one is non-functional yet.

I am Googling for more information, trying to get at the truth. I e-mailed the founder of NF, Nickie Moens, who turned the company over to Stacey Kohan (because Nickie developed a tumor.) I read on another site that NF is being sued for non-payment.

I'm continuing my research because I'm determined to learn who's actually lying here. My feeling is that NF is going down the tubes, and it is the company's remaining officials putting out the lies. It's hard to dispute postings like Pressman's, saying he's owed thousands in unpaid print fees. I must know the truth, because in time I'll have to know whom to trust for future submissions.

I appreciate any input anyone is willing to give.

Thanks and God bless.

Lynn Marie.

I am going to assume that this "Vickie" and "Wendy" and Heather Bradburn have told you not to listen to anything I have said.

Let me set the record straight here.

I had approached NF Publishing as per the request of Stacey Kohan because she was telling me about sending in my manuscript for Mourning Ellyn so that Nicole Moens could look at it. At the time, I kept telling her that it was not ready and needed some serious formatting issues done.

After thinking about it and several conversations I have had with her, I decided to take a chance and submitted my manuscript. This was back in March of last year. I knew Stacey Kohan as Janelle34 at www.writingforums.com where she had often posted.

After I had submitted my manuscript, Stacey kept asking me why she had not received it. Finally around the latter part of may, she finally stated that she received my manuscript via email and I had my suspicions that something was not right. I went against my better instinct and decided to trust her over all this. Come August of 06, I finally heard back and received my manuscript back and the original photo file for the cover design to do. I read the file and did my own editing (whatever editing had claimed to have been done between may and August was very questionable because I found the same errors in the document that were there in the original document that I have). I edited it out and stated that I did not like the photo cover they did. I asked a friend to do a cover design for my book so that I could show NF Publishing the kind of cover I am looking for, they decided to use my friends cover design and asked for copyright release form. They agreed to pay for the cover design (as per contract I have) within 90 days after accepting the release form.

Stacey then told me that my book should be out and ready for publication the last week of October, then November 4, then second week of November, then Mid November, then End of November, and then finally she said it would be published on December 13.

I wrote up my own press release. I had to resend the file and corrections on several occasions because she didn't have the file.

I started promoting and sold my book as a pre-release and sold it to ten people on my own.

In the second week of January 2007, I received six soft cover books. I was excited and called Stacey and asked why I only received Six and asked when I will receive the other four, two of which were hard cover orders, She said to look at them and see if they are correct. I did and what I found was the original file I had sent to Stacey for editing used as the document she sent to the printers. I had to contact her again and I specifically told her that I could not send out these books to people and need to have a reprint done.

She asked me to resend the file once again and three attempts later, she said she received the file.

It is now June 09, 2007 and I have yet to receive ten reprint editions of my book, royalty payments, reimbursements for books people ordered back in december (I have my paypal account to verify that I paid for these books and people have paid for them).

I am now stuck with six poorly produced works of fictions, a bill of 325.00 to a friend that I don't have the money to pay back and to also pay back the ten people who ordered their books. I have (since August) had my hotmail accounts locked out, my NF Publishing email account removed and I have (in the last month) received hate email from Wendy who (in her own words) claims I have know knowledge of the Publishing industry, that I am just a whiney little author out to ruin lives.

Unfortunately and honestly Lynn. You are better off removing yourself completely and wholly from NF Publishing. In Stacey's own words, she officially walked away from NF Publishing three months ago. Vickie and Heather and Karen are the ones supposedly now running the business.

The website that was up was pulled by Necko because of lack of payment. Gwenna Davis left because of lack of payment. There are about five or six authors now that have yet to receive their royalty payments and have yet to receive any printed copies of their books.

Stacey Kohan personally told me that she has thirty of my books Mourning Ellyn and that she refuses to send them out to me due to the fact that they haven't been paid for yet and I have no right to them.

Stacey Kohan is also using the Victim card and telling people that I am upset and causing all this problem because we had a "cyber" relationship.

I have caught her in various lies already and I have caught Vickie in various lies as well.

Vickie (the person claiming to be an accountant) insists that she has two checks that were cashed and written out to me that Stacey had sent out. I never received them.

And how do I know they are lying about this? 1) No bank here in Washington state will cash a check unless there are two forms of ID. Even check cashing places require an ID. 2) They claim that these checks were cashed at a Bank, but wont release the name of the bank. 3) I have requested (two months ago) to have the proof that these two checks were sent to me and this has yet to be honored.

Stacey Kohan and Vickie are women who are scam artists and dishonest. This is not slander and is based on factual evidence.

I have already submitted all my information *including all email communication) over to the washington state attorney general's office and am getting ready to submit a package over to the Tennessee State Attorney General's Office.

I warned Stacey and Vickie that I would expose them for what they are: Deceptive Con artists who know nothing about publishing and provides empty promises to people and never fulfilling.

And Lynne, Vickie asked me if I wanted out of my contract two months ago as well. I requested an official notarized letter from her stating that NF Publishing has no longer any vested interest in my work of fiction and that I am free to take said work to a different literary agency or publishing house.

I have yet to receive even that simple piece of paper.

Supposedly, they have an attorney but wont say who the attorney is.

(By the way, if someone has an attorney, it is the Attorney that would be doing the communicating and will not communicate using their clients email, but would submit official documentation that requires a signature - or hire a courier to serve necessary paperwork on that party).

Vickie is threatening lawsuits against those (like me) who expose them. I say, let them because when I stand in front of the judge and show forth my evidence, they might as well sit back and not say another word and just stand and say "Yes Your Honor, we are guilty as sin and deserve punishment for the lies and deceptions we have conceived and conspired to do"

This is what you will call "Conspiracy to commit fraud" on Vickie and Stacey's part. Stacey, she is just a deceptive and a con artist.

Timothy

Last edited:

lynnmarie

One Fine Mess, Isn't It?

This all reminds me of something a friend once said to someone who had caused him a lot of trouble: "You've got a bigger problem than I do."

Bad as it is for the victims of NF, the perpetrators will suffer the most. God keeps score of all the dishonesty and crap done in this world.

I received a reply from the founder of NF, and my suspicions are confirmed. Gwenna must be believed--and Timothy and Pressman, you have my sympathy for the trouble NF caused you, and I wish I could help.

I have not received the founder's permission to state in detail what she said, but essentially NF--after this original owner gave up the company--owes one printer over $40,000. That's just one; who knows how many others there are stuck with unpaid printing bills?

This former owner is also still owed money.

Of all I learned, most interesting (and helpful) to me is this tidbit: Most of the NF authors are NOT under contract at this time, and they probably don't know it!! If you are an NF author, like me, who signed a contract only with Nickie Moens and did not sign a new contract with Stacey Kohan when Stacey took control, the contract you have is invalid.

The action you need to take, if this expired contract info applies to you, is to bow down and thank God profusely that you're released from this NF mess!!!:hooray: I was very concerned my contract was still valid and I legally had to give NF first consideration to my new works. Now, praise Almighty God, I'm off the hook with NF!! I don't want anything more to do with these people!

I received another e-mail from Heather saying she's filing some sort of complaint with her county about these "false" accusations.

I think I'll simply ignore the e-mail.

One thing that comes to mind is that all the NF victims--authors and creditors--should file complaints with the Better Business Bureau, and websites like ripoffreport.com and scam.com. We need to start publicizing what's happened here. Google searches turn up little info yet showing NF is a deadbeat publisher. I'm sure there are all kinds of places where we need to file complaints.

I also find interesting Pressman's statement that NF is not registered in Tennessee.

I don't know whether any money can be recovered for the NF victims, but maybe if we all band together, we can at least get the place shut down.

God bless...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Of all I learned, most interesting (and helpful) to me is this tidbit: Most of the NF authors are NOT under contract at this time, and they probably don't know it!! If you are an NF author, like me, who signed a contract only with Nickie Moens and did not sign a new contract with Stacey Kohan when Stacey took control, the contract you have is invalid.
Are you sure? If the original contract contains a clause allowing the publisher to assign the contract to a successor company (or if there's nothing in the original contract covering assignment), the original contracts may be valid even with new owners--assuming they haven't expired, of course.

- Victoria

lynnmarie

Are you sure? If the original contract contains a clause allowing the publisher to assign the contract to a successor company (or if there's nothing in the original contract covering assignment), the original contracts may be valid even with new owners--assuming they haven't expired, of course.

- Victoria

Thanks, Victoria. I will read the contract again, and if need be, I'll contact a lawyer. I refuse to submit any new works to NF. I don't have the contract under my nose at the moment, but I recall a passage saying NF has the right to consider any of my new work first before I contact any other publisher.

Had things not unfolded with NF as they have, I would have regarded that as a fair stipulation.

Gwenna Davis, the former assistant publisher, is trying to rebuild the company. Perhaps it's time to e-mail her...

God bless all...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The problems with NF (from what I can tell both from what's been posted here and information shared with me privately) didn't arise from any dishonesty or ill-will--but from the very simple fact that the people involved didn't have any experience or understanding of publishing.

With the best will in the world, someone who undertakes to do something without knowing how to do it is highly likely not to succeed. Given the legal issues that are involved in publishing (even amateur publishing), not to mention writers' hopes and dreams, there's the potential for major ugliness during the inevitable crash and burn. The more the publisher tries to hang on, or stiff Peter to pay Paul, or to juggle creditors, or to lie to authors, the worse the crashing and the burning will be.

Gwenna Davis--again, probably with the best will in the world--doesn't appear to have any more publishing experience than Stacey Kohan or Nicole Moens did. Even if she finds some way to rebuild the company, or to spin off her own company, the basic story is likely to be the same. People who don't know what they're doing are very apt to do whatever it is badly.

- Victoria

SeattleGhostWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lynn -

The way I look at it, I am going to focus on pushing forward with my writing and submitting my works of fiction elsewhere. If someone from NF Publishing turns around to come after me, I have no worries because I have all the documentation in the world to support the fact that they breached the Contract.

As far as I am concerned, my contract with NF Publishing is null and void due to breach of contract and I can easily prove it no matter how much Stacey may moan and complain about it under whatever username she has used.

Like I said, she is a lady who lacks any integrity and when it is all said and done, she will face the reality of her deception one way or another and I hope someone stiffs her worse than she has stiffed anyone else.

I believe that what she did will return unto her ten fold.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
... I don't have the contract under my nose at the moment, but I recall a passage saying NF has the right to consider any of my new work first before I contact any other publisher.

While they might have the right to consider it first, that doesn't mean it's a slam dunk for them. Should they state they want to accept it, state your terms or just say no. I don't believe they can obligate you to a contract like the one you already have ad infinitum or require you to accept their offer. Of course, you should consult with an attorney, but I believe that such contracts have been found by courts to be unenforceable because it prevents one party from negotiating on an equal level.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
This is neither here nor there really, but I was just at the Book Expo of Canada today and on the list of booths etc there were changes, late additions that didn't make it into the final list etc. NF were listed under cancellations. Don't know if it means anything, but thought it was interesting considering this whole discussion, and it totally stuck out to me when I read it.

Anyway, carry on.

MightyMax5

Registered
Reaction score
website is back up

The NF Publishing website is back up for those who are interested, but there is nothing on there except the writers conference in November. Also for those interested i was told my Nicole Moens that she is still owed money from Stacey as well. Also i have emailed both Stacey and Heather Bradburn and have had no response. I am just glad my contract was with Nicole Moens

lynnmarie

So the captain's NOT going down with the ship...

I received the following e-mail, along with the other NF authors:

Hello Everyone,
This is to let all of you know that after careful consideration, I am declining the position of CEO with NF Publishing and/or any other of its entities.
Good luck to all of you.
Karen Medford

...Just thought you'd find it interesting. God bless.

SeattleGhostWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, I have an update as well. I received the standard contract dissolution from Stacey Kohan and NF Publishing and Heather Bradburn and Karen Medford have spoken with me and I owe them an apology for the things I have said about them in conjunction with NF Publishing Scandal and have apologized to those two ladies.

Also, today, I started working at a printing shop and am learning the behind the scenes of print on demand and actually seen a Hiedelberg Speedmaster press as well as an original archaic printing press.... I go back and work tomorrow as a DocTech. Basically stand there, fluff the paper and stack the printed books on pallets :D Fun stuff.... I want to stay there forever.. And yes, I am asking all kinds of questions.

AvalonTeam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AvalonTeam.com
I wish I would have seen this thread before I did work for NF Publishing. My name is Lance Williams and I am one of the CEO of Avalon Innovations, a small Print On Demand Providers located in St Clairsville, Ohio. Stacey Kohan began contact with me back in January to start printing some of her books. I ended up printing a few of the books to help her out and cover some books signings they had coming up. I told her we didn't normally send anything out without at least a partial payment. But I tried to be a good guy and help her out for the signings. It was only 20 or 30 books, so it wasn't a huge deal. It was after this that things start seeming weird. She had multiple excuses why the payment didn't get to me. It went to the wrong address and was just returned, it should have been there by now. We finally did get a check from her and after waiting a few days, we let the rest of her order ship. The problem was, 3 weeks later the check bounced. All of a sudden Stacey was unreachable and Vickie Anderson started contacting us about some other books. We told her there was NO way we would ship anything until the bounced check was cleared and that all future payments would have to be made by credit card or chasiers check. She assured us that they would have the money to us by last week. Of course we received nothing and no we can not reach Vickie. We have also started legal action against them.

Vickie's statement as to what happened was: "One of Staceys employee's went and used her credit card number on some purchases so we have to go and start all over. So please forgive me if we run behind."

I do have the files of several of their books, including: Confusions of a Hypocrite by Lori Filban, Hummingbird Hill by Karen Medford, Innerspace by Merlin Fraser, Mars 185 by David Czaplicki, Mourning Ellyn by Timothy Berman, and The Summer of The Snail by Tammie Janks Caffee. Not that we will ever do anything with these files unless the authors contact us, but I want to let the author knew we do have copies of the files.

I guess my point is, I understand bad luck and rough times in a business, but it just appears there more going on here than that. Especially after reading everyone's comments here on NF Publishing. I will let the forum know if I here of anything else from them and what happens.

Thanks,

Lance Williams
Avalon Innovations

SeattleGhostWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I wish I would have seen this thread before I did work for NF Publishing. My name is Lance Williams and I am one of the CEO of Avalon Innovations, a small Print On Demand Providers located in St Clairsville, Ohio. Stacey Kohan began contact with me back in January to start printing some of her books. I ended up printing a few of the books to help her out and cover some books signings they had coming up. I told her we didn't normally send anything out without at least a partial payment. But I tried to be a good guy and help her out for the signings. It was only 20 or 30 books, so it wasn't a huge deal. It was after this that things start seeming weird. She had multiple excuses why the payment didn't get to me. It went to the wrong address and was just returned, it should have been there by now. We finally did get a check from her and after waiting a few days, we let the rest of her order ship. The problem was, 3 weeks later the check bounced. All of a sudden Stacey was unreachable and Vickie Anderson started contacting us about some other books. We told her there was NO way we would ship anything until the bounced check was cleared and that all future payments would have to be made by credit card or chasiers check. She assured us that they would have the money to us by last week. Of course we received nothing and no we can not reach Vickie. We have also started legal action against them.

Vickie's statement as to what happened was: "One of Staceys employee's went and used her credit card number on some purchases so we have to go and start all over. So please forgive me if we run behind."

I do have the files of several of their books, including: Confusions of a Hypocrite by Lori Filban, Hummingbird Hill by Karen Medford, Innerspace by Merlin Fraser, Mars 185 by David Czaplicki, Mourning Ellyn by Timothy Berman, and The Summer of The Snail by Tammie Janks Caffee. Not that we will ever do anything with these files unless the authors contact us, but I want to let the author knew we do have copies of the files.

I guess my point is, I understand bad luck and rough times in a business, but it just appears there more going on here than that. Especially after reading everyone's comments here on NF Publishing. I will let the forum know if I here of anything else from them and what happens.

Thanks,

Lance Williams
Avalon Innovations

Hey Lance,

This is Timothy, the author of Mourning Ellyn. As per Stacey's assurance (which I started questioning) Avalon was the print company that she kept saying has sent out Mourning Ellyn to me for the proofs to preview. Contact me directly so that I can find out if you have the actual books printed or if you have just the files.

I would like to get these back as soon as possible.

I also received 24 books from Heather Bradburn yesterday of the copies that Stacey Kohan had. So, now, I have 24 copies of Mourning Ellyn that the text has numerous errors on it and not sure to do with them lol....

Timothy

Stuffedtoy

Registered
Reaction score
My head is twisting backwards with all this. I guess I can be grateful that I don't have a contract with this company, but it sure is disheartening. When I first went to their website (before it closed down) I was looking to see how many of their books were actually in the stores. I found a few, but not many. I just wonder if all the authors connected to this company are having the same issues. I can't see them recuperating from this financial disaster, even if they sign new contracts, cause who will print the books???

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Believe it or not, NF's implosion is a pretty typical example of the downward spiral that ends the ambitions of so many amateur publishers. It's sadly familiar to anyone who frequents this forum, which is full of similar stories.

- Victoria

AvalonTeam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AvalonTeam.com
A Small Update

Well, after calling Stacey many time and only getting her answering machine and then having the fax machine turned on., I did end up hearing something back. The next day Vickie Anderson emailed us:

"I received your message. Due to the inconvience of the disgruntled employee, I have filed a lawsuit. I have had to include your business in ths suit due to the bank charges. Please be aware that the attorney has issued a payment in your name. Please verify your address so that I can give it to him. Also, please note that you may required to issue a statement for this issue."

We've given them our address and are waiting to see if we end up receiving anything.