• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

NF Publishing

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm. . .

Do you know anyone who has tried this publisher? I'm a little put off by the Submissions Guidelines page, which pushes their self-publishing and editing services without giving much info about their traditional end.

Personally, I'd be cautious.

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
I didn't see any reference to the self-publishing/editing services on the Submission page. Those are mentioned in the Services page.

However, I did spot an error in the Home page itself (the English part):

NF Publishing is a new publisher based Belgium.
tongue.gif

Sury

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of numerous "I can be a publisher, too!" start-ups by (ex)PA authors.

She means well, but....

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wait a minute. This house was recently sold, I think. It came up on a children's writers board. Nicole Fleming (NF) started this publisher, and the publisher is now run by Stacy Kohan.

I remember hearing about the change of owners. As to their business practices, I can't say, but one person was excited NF had accepted her first attempts at writing for children. I think Picture books, which are notoriously hard. I honestly don't know what to make of them.

And Victoria and Ann - you know I love you girls, but lots of places now have the 'we are not a vanity publisher' tag on their site. Samhain does, I know, and I know I've seen it other reputable places too. Unfortunately many feel they have to spell it out, and it's losing its red-flaggedness.

But I agree, dubiousness abounds.

Last edited:

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I really appreciate the information. I was under the impression that Timothy Berman was a publisher. At least, that's the impression I got from his place on Writer's Net.
Anyway, I submitted a query, synopsis, and first 3 chapters to him, and 2 hours later, he responded with a request for the full manuscript.
I was excited about the request for the full, but at the same time, I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I really appreciate the information. I was under the impression that Timothy Berman was a publisher. At least, that's the impression I got from his place on Writer's Net.
Anyway, I submitted a query, synopsis, and first 3 chapters to him, and 2 hours later, he responded with a request for the full manuscript.
I was excited about the request for the full, but at the same time, I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
Did you confirm with NF that he is still the person to submit to?

SeattleGhostWriter

Obsessive is just a less complimentary term for "d
Registered
Reaction score
Website
reasoningwiththecritics.wordpress.com
Answering the Posts

Good evening everyone.

I happened to be testing out a search feature and happened across these posts regarding my name (Timothy Berman) and NF Publishing.

I would like to provide an appropriate response to some of the questions and concerns posted here.

First off, I was working with Stacey Kohan as a Writer's Consultant through NF Publishing while working at a company called WDS Global here in Kirkland, Washington.

Back in August, I had lost my employment with WDS Global and eventually lost my place of residence.

Since then, I have been working on a volunteer basis in reviewing manuscripts for NF Publishing and submitting the manuscripts over to Gwen Davis and Stacey Kohan for review.

In no way am I seeing any monetary compensation for my efforts and am solely doing this on a volunteer basis.

I have had one author accepted by NF Publishing through me.

As for me "spamming boards" I have not (to my knowledge) posted multiple postings on any given site. In fact, I had updated my Writers Net profile a month or two ago.

Any manuscripts submissions I receive, I review them when I am not on employment interviews, job testing, or researching and securing interview appointments through various avenues of contract and possible permanent work.

I am also the author of Mourning Ellyn that NF Publishing has published. At the moment, I am not at liberty to discuss this because of my own personal experience with NF Publishing as an Author.

I understand the trepidation upon those authors who are new. I myself am attempting to find some resolution to my own question and concerns regarding my own novel that was published through them (to date it is available at www.amazon.com and shows up on Barnes and Noble, but is not in their inventory yet. Even Borders Books references my work of fiction).

I have personally spent the majority of the evening talking with the Assistant Publisher, Gwen Davis regarding my own personal concerns and the handling of my own work of fiction (NF Publishing has had my work since March of Last year).

In fact, I had sent an email to both Stacey Kohan and Gwen Davis regarding my recent concerns and trepidations as to the status of my own work of fiction and impressed upon them that I am holding them bound to my contract and until my own issues are being resolved any work I am doing on a volunteer basis with NF Publishing will be held off.

I am also trying to find a way to delete my profile from Writers Net and finding that this is not working. The reason being is that the email account I have associated with that profile had been hacked and I have no access to that email account any more.

I have sent my concerns off to Writers Beware regarding what course of action I should take regarding my particular situation.

From a personal experience, I know NF Publishing has published authors. I personally did not like nor approve of their original concept for the cover design and went out and had a friend design my own cover design for the book. She is still waiting payment for her work. Unfortunately, I may have to pay her for the work she did for the cover design to Mourning Ellyn and her and I have worked out a separate agreement.

I provide this information so that there is some clarification as to some of your questions and concerns, and to relate as much information as possible from my own perspective as an author in what I am dealing with.

Please bear in mind that this is my own perspective and not any other authors perspective. I do not have any contact with any other authors from NF Publishing.

I actually recently submitted my concerns to Victoria Strauss concerning my dealings with NF Publishing. And the more information I am suddenly finding out, the more I am realizing I have some money to be paying back to some people that have vested into purchase their copy of my own work of fiction as well as finding a way to get my "already" published work away from them.

Thank you,

Timothy Berman.

p.s. if you would like to know more about the issues surrounding this from my own perspective, I will be more happy to discuss this privately. I am only doing this as to help other authors make a proactive informed decision as to how to proceed.

Last edited:

CrazeeGal

Slander and Libel” redirects here. For other uses, see Libel (disambiguation).
For "liable", see Liability.
In law, defamation is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against criticism.

The common law origins of defamation lie in the torts of slander (harmful statement in a transitory form, especially speech) and libel (harmful statement in a fixed medium, especially writing but also a picture, sign, or electronic broadcast), each of which gives a common law right of action.

"Defamation" is the general term used internationally, and is used in this article where it is not necessary to distinguish between "slander" and "libel". Libel and slander both require publication. The fundamental distinction between libel and slander lies solely in the form in which the defamatory matter is published. If the offending material is published in some fleeting form, as by spoken words or sounds, sign language, gestures and the like, then this is slander. If it is published in more durable form, for example in written words, film, compact disc and the like, then it is considered libel.

LadyRose

In Response…

Hello everyone, I am Gwenna Davis, the for mentioned person in Timothy Berman’s post, But you can call me Gwen. There are a few things I would like to set straight. Mr. Berman mentioned that "]“I have personally spent the majority of the evening talking with the Assistant Publisher, Gwen Davis regarding my own personal concerns and the handling of my own work of fiction” That is true, but he failed to mention that I had addressed his concerns, putting aside all my other work and author’s to fix his problems and rework his book cover that was not correct from the person who did the original cover. These I have been working on for the last 3 days straight. I was upset to say the least at his post here considering the work I have been putting in to his issues to get them resolved as quickly as possible.

I must say in a perfect world, no matter what your career, job path or anything that you do, nothing bad ever happens. In the real world things do happen. I do my best to address their issues as quickly as possible. But, when you have numerous authors to deal with they need to have patience and not make promises to other people that have no idea if they can keep them. This puts that author into a bad light with the public and their potential readers.

I have had other issues with Mr. Berman that I have given him many many opportunities to redeem him self and to continue on as a writers consultant with NF Publishing. But I can see from his post here that “In no way am I seeing any monetary compensation for my efforts and am solely doing this on a volunteer basis.” That he does not wish to continue “working” with us since he is just a “volunteer” and that he expect no monetary compensation for his efforts, and the independent contract he sign to do so will be dissolved. So do not submit any more manuscripts to Mr. Berman.

Next Issued to quote “(to date it is available at www.amazon.com and shows up on Barnes and Noble, but is not in their inventory yet. Even Borders Books references my work of fiction).” If you go to Amazon.com or Borders.com and search Mourning Ellyn this is what you will find…

Mourning Ellyn (Paperback)
by Timothy R. Berman (Author)

List Price: $24.95
Price: $24.95 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Only 5 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).

I also checked out Barnes and Noble and the reason it shows “A new copy is not available from Barnes & Noble.com at this time” That is because Barnes and Noble has accepted a large group of our authors to be placed in their stores and the process is on going. It’s a very long process to go through. There are a major amount of things that go on behind the scenes that authors have no clue about. Many hurdles and hoops a publisher has to go through to get the books into stores.

We work very hard for the authors we have, despite the bashings I have found from people I have never dealt with. But they are entitled to their opinion, as is anyone else. I can only speak for myself. I try very hard to get to know every author we have, to give that personal touch so that they know they are not just another author in a long line of authors with the “take a number” feel. Being that we are a fairly new, and still a small publishing company I expect some issues to arise. No one is perfect and I sure do not or have I ever said I was perfect.

I am sure that all of you in one point in time in your life have heard or have said your self “You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all the of time”. It’s a simple fact. Not everyone one is going to be happy. No matter how hard you try.

I do apologies that this issue had to be brought out in public like this, but I felt I needed to respond to Mr. Berman’s post. It’s hard enough to make it these days as a new author or a new publisher. That is why we wanted to work with new authors. To give them the chance they work so hard to achieve. Not everything is going to go smoothly in most cases there will be a bump or two in the road. Do not let it discourage you as a new author to pursue your dream of getting your book published. In this business everything is highly subjective and one publisher may have a completely different opinion then another. Not everyone is a good fit. It takes effort, time and patience to achieve a goal. If one publisher turns you down, keep on going. With the drive to achieve that goal you will find the right home for your book. Well that is my thoughts, answers and opinion, but like everything else…….everyone has one…..

Gwenna Davis
NF-Publishing Assistant Publisher
800.807.9203 Ext 100
Fax 877-229-6137
www.nfpublishing.com

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Just to confirm that I've received and responded to Timothy Berman's email to Writer Beware about his experience with NF Publishing (I wouldn't normally say this, since we promise confidentiality to the people who contact us, but he did mention that he'd written me).

In my judgment, the problems he has had arise from the staff's inexperience (based on their bios at the publisher's website, none appear to have had any professional writing or publishing experience) and unprofessionalism (I don't usually snark about people's grammar and spelling, but I'd be pretty dismayed if I got a letter from my publisher that was as poorly written as Ms. Davis's post above), rather than from dishonesty or bad intent. It's still not a good thing, though, especially for writers.

- Victoria

Last edited:

CrazeeGal

Ohh and I suppose you are the worlds most successful publisher? Do any of you know the term Slander? At the present time, I am gathering information for NF Publishing to file suit againest Timothy Berman. I have done some research on you also Victoria, and I have found some interesting things. So if you do not mind, please lets leave some of the bad mouthing alone!
April, ESQ.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Oh wow, I guess I will take the word of a one-post-wonder over an impartial and informed industry expert.

Sockpuppets and lawsuit threats are just more proof that an outfit is sans clue. That and using a pretentious form of address incorrectly (Esq.)

Last edited:

Janelle34

I am Stacey, from NF Publishing, if anyone has questions or comments, please bring them to me. I do not appreciate this negativity from anyone, especially those who don't have any idea of the situation of why I have NF Publishing. Maybe you all should ask! I will tell you though, Nickie Flemming had a brain tumor and was very sick, I was dealing with the US Division of the company. She handed the company to me knowing that I would honor her wishes and dreams. I have made her dream a success. I am very sorry that this does not fit with some of you. Timothy Berman, on the other hand, has a personal issue with him and I. NOTHING to do with company. He has brought his personal issues, we dated, and business together. Therefore, you all should know work/personal matters should not mix. Does that clarify some things???

Hi April, thanks hun!

Janelle34

Sure anytime! I do not wish anyone any hard feelings. I do my best to make sure Authors are successful. If you ask any of them, other then Mr. Berman, due to his personal issues, they will tell you, I work with them one on one.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
One of the many things that is clear is that you react emotionally to any negative comment and support the use of personal insults legal threats to shut down discussion.

I would encourage you to reply to the factual questions raised such as relevant publishing experience.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com