• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

NF Publishing

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Ohh and I suppose you are the worlds most successful publisher? Do any of you know the term Slander?
Yes. We also know the term libel. You, on the other hand, don't appear to know the difference.
At the present time, I am gathering information for NF Publishing to file suit againest Timothy Berman.
Ah. I deleted your post above because you omitted this information, so your post just looked like an unrelated cut-n-paste from Wikipedia. I've restored the post.

If I were Mr. Berman, I wouldn't exactly be losing sleep.

I have done some research on you also Victoria, and I have found some interesting things.
Bring it on.

- Victoria

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh and I suppose you are the worlds most successful publisher? Do any of you know the term Slander? At the present time, I am gathering information for NF Publishing to file suit againest Timothy Berman. I have done some research on you also Victoria, and I have found some interesting things. So if you do not mind, please lets leave some of the bad mouthing alone!
April, ESQ.

You won't get far if you don't know the difference between slander and libel.

Regards,
Scott

Janelle34

April, I thank you for trying to help solve issues between Tim and I. I will handle Tim. For others, I am sorry it went this far. As I stated before, I took over the company from Nickie who trained me in everything. I also worked as a (training)agent in N.Y for a publishing company for 3 years at the age of 17.
I have a degree in Marketing. Business is my major at the moment.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Real publishers don't have their quarrels in public.

None of you have any idea what you're doing.

Try harder to be nice to one other, because that's the only thing you're going to get out of this attempt to start a publishing house.

Deleted member 42

Look! A train wreck!

Move along people. You don't need to see his papers.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I started the thread, but I didn't intend for it to become a battlefield. It is nice to have some things cleared up beforehand, though. :popcorn:

SeattleGhostWriter

Obsessive is just a less complimentary term for "d
Registered
Reaction score
Website
reasoningwiththecritics.wordpress.com
My Rebuttal

To Gwen and Janelle (aka Stacey Kohan), my whole purpose and reason bringing this up was because I was actually using a new search engine and out of curiosity I came across this with my name. I was providing honest and upfront issues that I have had experiences with.

To Stacey Kohan - On several phone calls, yahoo IM chats and email conversations (unfortunately Gwen Davis Deleted my email account where all this information is stored) I have consistently asked you the status on my book.

Since August - December I heard, they are coming out soon, they will be printed and out the end of October, then the Beginning of November, then the Beginning of December. When I finally received the books they were not received by me until Mid-January. Out of 11 orders I had placed with you to fulfill, I only received six.

Since Mid-January, I have not received any books from you and since that time (except the past week) I have consistently asked you the same question, with the only response of, it takes time, they are at the printers and you will get them in two weeks. It is now almost april.

In fact, you contacted me last week and asked me about my book signings and told me they were not until June/July. When I said what happened to April, you're response was a quick retraction and then nothing regarding when my booksignings were going to be.

Since December, I have had to refund five people back for their orders because my paypal account was locked up, this you were made aware.

As per my contractual agreement with NF Publishing, I am due a royalty check. According to your very own emails, an author is supposed to receive an end of month status on their book sales, I have yet to receive such status, nor have i yet to receive a royalty check.

To Gwen Davis,

I posted this in response to clear my name and to inform my nature and reason with NF Publishing. When I say that I am working on a volunteer basis, I have yet to receive any funding from NF Publishing as promised.

Unfortunately, I brought this issue up to clear my name and to make it known that this is not the way I feel an author should be treated. I have been more than cordial and more than honest and upfront.

As for the person who is building a legal case against me, go right ahead because I still have six books, a contract for the book cover design that has yet to be paid by NF Publishing and other documented information concerning NF Publishings business practices and refusal to official address this.

All of this could have been handled appropriately and confidentially by Stacey Kohan if she had been honest and upfront with me with about the nature of the work being done and answered the questions, concerns I had.

My apologies to those who I have offended. But I merely wanted to make it known as to me personally because it is my reputation that is at stake here and I wanted to be the person who brought this up and share with those who had questions and concerns about my nature and person and character.

Janelle34

From Tim:
----- Original Message -----
To: 'Stacey Kohan'
Cc: 'Gwenna Davis'
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 2:00 PM
Subject: RE: Breach of Contract

I have spoken with Stacey Kohan regarding the issues and all issues are resolved. I wish to continue the contract agreement with NF Publishing. The understanding is that I will be receiving the proofs via certified mail.

I do offer my apologies to Gwen Davis.

allandsouza

allan.aquarius

Hey guys,

This is a frantic SOS of sorts and hope someone out there in cyberspace hears me.

On Mar 12, 2007 4:51 PM one Ms. Stacey Kohan replied to me as follows:

"Congratulations! We have agreed to publish your manuscript. Please find attached the author information form and copyright form.Please remember the $45 copyright fee must accompany the contract. Fill them out and email them back as soon as possible so I can start the process of getting you on the publication list for 2007."

I replied promptly saying I need a couple days to get the dough together. To which she replied saying:

"You can sign the contracts and scan/fax them to me.
Yes please email me the remainder of the manuscript. I have yours on the top of my list to read. I appreciate it. The $45 fee, can wait until April 7th if you need. Let me know."

Then she suddenly did something like an Indian rope trick. That is, subsequent to my mailing her my whole manuscript (Mar 28, 2007 11:12 AM).

Tell you the truth guys, right now, I'm shit scared and can't tell what's happening. I mean, can you believe it, this lady has my entire manuscript and even refuses to acknowledge receipt. What do you think is the best thing I ought to do, given the circumstances?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
You haven't signed the contract? An offer is only an offer until you sign on the dotted line.

If you don't wish to go through with the publication, tell her so politely. She can't do anything with a copy of your manuscript. This happens all the time, either when writers have more than one offer or don't want to accept an offer.

That's all. Don't return the contracts, and send her a nice message saying you're declining her offer.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Even shady publishers do not steal manuscripts. It's a no-win situation for them. $45.00 for copyright? I thought it was $30.00. You don't need to nor do you want to register a copyright on the manuscript anyway, you'd just have to do it again when the book was published.

Regards,
Scott

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
It went up to $45 last year.
No, once you register the book, it's registered. Unless it goes through a dramatic change, even edited, the book is still registered even if you do it at the manuscript stage.

Once the book is published you certainly can do it then, but you need to submit two copies then, and only one printed manuscript if you do it earlier.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
On Mar 12, 2007 4:51 PM one Ms. Stacey Kohan replied to me as follows:

"Congratulations! We have agreed to publish your manuscript. Please find attached the author information form and copyright form.Please remember the $45 copyright fee must accompany the contract. Fill them out and email them back as soon as possible so I can start the process of getting you on the publication list for 2007."

I replied promptly saying I need a couple days to get the dough together. To which she replied saying:

"You can sign the contracts and scan/fax them to me.
Yes please email me the remainder of the manuscript. I have yours on the top of my list to read. I appreciate it. The $45 fee, can wait until April 7th if you need. Let me know."

Unless you signed the contract, you have no obligation.

But they ACCEPTED the book, and sent you a contract, before they read the whole manuscript?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Again, as with the other problems reported about NF Publishing, this indicates incompetence and unprofessionalism, rather than ill-will or dishonesty. Refuse the offer, and don't worry about it.

- Victoria

SeattleGhostWriter

Obsessive is just a less complimentary term for "d
Registered
Reaction score
Website
reasoningwiththecritics.wordpress.com
How do I get out of this contract?

Well, I have yet to receive any fulfillment of promises on receiving proofs, nor have I seen any money from any sales.

I have talked with attorneys here in Washington State.

It is becoming more and more apparent that my work of fiction is going to be sitting on the shelf somewhere.

I would like to get out of this contract and I have asked on several different occasions, yet have been informed that in order for me to do so, I have to pay a total of $3,000.00.

As per recent information concerning NF Publishing (whether they are true or not) there are other authors who have not seen proofs, nor any payments, and that Stacey Kohan has been jumping from printer to printer because she couldn't pay the previous printer costs of the books.

Would this then be considered internet fraud as well as defrauding those of us who bought into it hook line and sinker?

Victoria, I would like to send you my contract via snail mail (the copy I have is not even signed - and I don't think I ever received an official signed copy from the publisher as well). All I know is that the ship is sinking and sinking fast and people are bailing out.

I am composing a letter and will be sending it certified mail stating that I am cutting my loss on my work of fiction, and require any and all books that have been printed to be shipped directly to me.

I am still negotiating to find out what my rights are and progressively seeking an attorney to resolve this issue.

Thus, my questions are two fold - how would this affect any additional work that I want to see published? Would this hinder me?

I am confused. Please help