• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jeff Herman's Guide / The Jeff Herman Agency

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com

cassjmb

Registered
Reaction score
Jeff Herman

The Jeff Herman Agency asked for my full, and I sent it in Oct. 2012. No acknowledgement that they received it, so I contacted his wife (Deborah). Finally I got an email saying they had a big backlog and if I didn't want to keep waiting for them to read my ms. to just find another agent. So I'm waiting, but meanwhile their site keeps saying things like they're “now partnering with self-publishing site.” They also give self-publishing workshops. I think they used to be legit agents. Are they still?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff Herman used to put out the Writers Guide. I am not sure if he still does, but I found it very helpful, about 10 years ago. Today, not so much...

As to the self publishing stuff, I am not sure I trust any agency or agent that offers services for self publishers. I mean, if the agent does not feel the odds of them successfully selling a manuscript to a commercial publisher are favorable, then what are the odds that it will be successful as a self published work? Other than the agent gets paid for services offered. Seems like a conflict of interest even if more and more agents and agencies are turning to this form of increasing their revenue...

I know, I know, they have to make a living too, but I just don't feel comfortable with this...

cassjmb

Registered
Reaction score
Jeff Herman

I agree. Besides, they say they're so busy they haven't been able to read my ms. (which they requested) since Oct. So where do they find time to "partner" with a self-publisher?