AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Susan Marlane Literary Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Susan Marlane Literary Agency

I just saw this on craigslist today and thought I'd share it for anyone who's interested:

A major publishing house is starting up a new craft book division, and searching for well written "how to" type, craft books, especially those relating to paper crafts, beading, and jewelry making. But we will look at any craft book ideas you have. This may be your chance to get published. If you've written a craft book, please send us a query letter describing the work and approx 30 pages from the book. WE DO NOT CHARGE ANY FEES. We are a literary agency and will try to sell any acceptable work to a publisher on your behalf
    Send submission to:
    Susan Marlane Literary Agency
    PO Box 4
    Simi Valley, CA 93062

Please check our website for more details. http://susanmarlaneliteraryagency.com
    "Write without pay until somebody offers to pay; if nobody offers within three years, sawing wood is what you were intended for." --Mark Twain

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Maybe this should go over to the backgrounds and bewares zone?
    Has anyone any experience with this agency? The reason I ask is that the website says nothing about existing clients' books sold or publishing/agenting background of the principals.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hmm, I hope it's not a scam. It just seems like they're a literary agency trying to get people published, but I could be wrong.
    "Write without pay until somebody offers to pay; if nobody offers within three years, sawing wood is what you were intended for." --Mark Twain

Gifted Goofball
    How odd...most legit agents don't have to advertise, as far as I know...that alone makes me nervous about it.

*I don't know anything about this agent or agency. Simply my own thoughts.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    From P&E: Susan Marlane Literary Agency: A literary agency. 9/17/06: No longer charges a fee.

Not a good sign, IMO. Nor is the error-rife, Tripod-based website. Nor the lack of sales and qualifications. Nor....
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin DesertDog's Avatar
    Man it's hot here! (Noooo -- not that place)
    FWIW, as of 8/6/2009, the website comes up as 'Inactive'. I guess that part time gig as a litery agent just didn't work out...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin DesertDog's Avatar
    Man it's hot here! (Noooo -- not that place)
    Make that literary...

Banned
    The P.O. box turned me off almost as much as the fact that they're hawking on Craigslist.