AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Silver Lake Publishing

Silver Lake Publishing

http://www.silverlakepublishing.com/index.html

Just curious. I came across them while checking out someone's publishing credits, and they don't seem to have a thread here. They look like a small sf/f/horror press, with both e-books and POD, and I didn't, on quick inspection, have any red flags go up. They mention Ingram as distributor. On the other hand, they may be out of business. Anybody have recent information?

The website looks a bit out of date:
    Welcome to Silver Lake Publishing.
    Happy 2006! Our resolution this year is to keep our mailing lists updated with current information. Join one and see if we can keep it.
    There is no open submissions period this year. Open submissions will resume in 2007.

-Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

They seem OK, a fairly standard small press. I'd contact them to see if anyone is still alive there.

Not too bad. They have a three-month submission window and offer a look at sample contracts. Might check for current status, though.

Tri

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    A perfectly legit micro-press, if e-publishing and POD will suit your goals. Accepted by MWA as a market for membership purposes.

Most recent update on the site is September 2006, when they say:

In less pleasant news, we are currently reviewing our financial situation. We would like to assure authors that SLP will not be folding. However, we may need to close submissions indefinitely until the situation improves. The choice will be made before the end of October.
    They don't appear to have any books scheduled for 2007. The books they list as scheduled for August through December, 2006, doesn't appear to have been released.

Be aware that there's another Silver Lake Publishing out there (non-fiction): http://www.silverlakepub.com/

Banned
    Be careful. I've looked up a number of their books in Ingram iPage - none of the books are returnable. Another annoying thing; they don't post their ISBN's. That's not a deal killer, but stores really hate that when they browse your site.

Not returnable? rut roh!

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Non-returnable is very common in the POD world, and how the hey do you go about returning an e-book in any case?

This wouldn't be my first choice of publisher unless, like I said, it exactly suited my goals.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Silver Lake Publishing (Stephanie Weidner) is gone. Last remnant: http://www.sff.net/estand/ebook/silverlake.htm
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

permaflounced

Which one?

Which Silver Lake Publishing are you talking about? The one I know of www.silverlakepub.com publishes only non-fiction and mostly stuff about family matters, business, law, health, etc.

DP

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Pudick View Post
    Which Silver Lake Publishing are you talking about? The one I know of www.silverlakepub.com publishes only non-fiction and mostly stuff about family matters, business, law, health, etc.

DP
    The one the OP linked to in her original post, although it appears the site no longer exists. (Your link has a different address.)
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

permaflounced
    You're right. They have the same name, though, which I think is unfortunate. It's not the first time I've come across p-cos with the same or really similar names.

DP