Status
Not open for further replies.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
In pubs and at parties I often get asked why I write horror, so I'll post it here. Then I can send them all over to read it and save me some valuable drinking time

People who scare me have a wide variety of styles and genres. For instance, Stephen King's folksy style pulls me right in until I empathize with the characters, then he starts to put pressure on them. I love the way he builds tension. On the other hand, I also love H P Lovecraft and his "Elder beings from beyond the stars", and I'm a sucker for a campfire ghost story. ..:

What I'm saying is, horror is what scares you, and it's different for everybody. For example, knife killers don't do it for me, except when it's done as comedy, but I know a lot of people who are genuinely disturbed at the thought of a faceless, knife-wielding maniac. Me, I'd probably laugh at him (or her).

Over the past decade or so publishers views of what fits in the horror genre has grown considerably. It used to be mainly ghosts, monsters and the supernatural, but the Hannibal Lecter effect seems to have steam-rollered the genre. It is now awash with psycho-killers that previously were seen as part of the "Crime" genre until the blood and gore got too much and a bit of reclassification was required.

Alongside that, "Horror" images are now so much part of our culture that many of them have ceased to be frightening, so much so that we now get teenage girls vanquishing demons and vampires in Buffy, killing psycho-killers in the Scream franchise, and torching more demons and warlocks in Charmed. It has become "Horror-Lite" for people who want to be nearly scared.

Real scares have been replaced with dodgy fight scenes, and terror is a word that is rarely used anymore. I'd like to see horror getting back to the basics of actually scaring people. "The Blair Witch Project" while flawed, was a step in the right direction, and I'd like to write something as edgy, and ultimately terrifying, as that.

I remember writing a short story for an English class. I must have been thirteen or fourteen and I had just discovered the horror genre. The story was set in a seance where a group of kids managed to conjure up Satan himself…sort of an early Scottish version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (without the teeth and tans). My teacher wasn't too impressed, and had us writing "meaningful" poetry and "kitchen-sink" slices of life that bored me to tears. I didn't need to write about urban poverty - I just had to walk round town to see it up close.
For a while I wrote for myself, but didn't know about markets or marketing so it went no further. Then writing song lyrics assuaged that heavy feeling for a while.
Over the years, the need to write has been getting worse if anything. With me, the ideas seem to fill my head, and it's only when I start to write that things calm down. When I started I tried to work with every single idea I ever had, but I soon realised that a lot of ideas are just that - good ideas, but unworkable as a piece of fiction. I've got notebooks full of short scenes that work brilliantly on their own, but, as yet, haven't found a way into a fully rounded story.

I knew I was where I wanted to be when I started to write about vampires. (All horror writers need to do at least one vampire novel... it's sort of written into their contracts. :}

Seriously though, I felt that vampires in current fiction (and other media) were getting too cuddly and had been humanized too far from the bloodsucking bastards they are meant to be. I wanted to go back to basics.

In one of my novels, vampires were created by God before man, but blew their big chance by killing a lamb and drinking its blood. I gave them their own Adam and Eve, their own ten commandments, their own Messiah etc, and had a lot of fun with it.

It was while making up mock-biblical passages that I realized I was creating something rich and varied, and the buzz drove me on to where I am now.
I want to write a lot of books, sell a lot of books, entertain a lot of people, and make a lot of money. At least stage one is well on the way!

That should keep them busy for a while :)

Willie

Jackie Coupe

Evil Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.witness-online.com
I write horror to share some of the disgraceful things I see at times.
Share them, take away their power.
Horror makes us feel very humble.
We have the power to make people feel something other than bored or perhaps complacent.
A well placed shock or piece of visceral horror goes over with far more impact than a movie. It makes the reader the owner of their fear and the author of the destruction of their own sleep.

I love horror.
I write horror.
I always will.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
When I was a tiny kid, I always loved reading horror stories, I used to love writing them too. Growing up, I still liked to read horror, and like you, loved Stephen King, but writing it didn't interest me anymore.
Where I'm middle-aged, I still like horror, but horror that is believable in some ways, like Interview with the Vampire. The Vampires seem like real 'people' lol. Well, maybe not like real people, but they are believable because they have personalities now, they don't feel like horror stories anymore. To be honest, I don't really read a lot of horror these days, but do still love a good horror film, they make me laugh more than anything though.

These days I find things, like the film Irreversible, much more frightening than any horror film, life-like things are definitely more scary than fictional horror to me.
I think people read and write horror because they like to feel scared, sort of like a primeval feeling of being afraid of the dark and the unknown.

Elodie

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I write what I like to read.

But not horror that looks like it could be on the evening news (child abuse, rape, that foul stuff). I write unbelievable horror--if I could write Godzilla fanfic, I would. Or a good vamp story. Stuff that could never happen in real life.

It's my version of "Calgon, take me away." (And if you're old enough to remember those TV commercials, you're as old as I am!)

I highly recomend Brian Keene's latest, The Conqueror Worms. Couldn't happen in a million years--probably. ;) Lots of fun. Good think I don't skeeve earthworms--or Cthulhu, LOL.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Why?

I go along with I write horror because I enjoy reading horror. For me, there's nothing special about horror fiction. It's just another way of tell a story about the human condition. I like a good story, well told, and I don't care what label is placed on it.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I write horror because I think it's a strong way of expressing what is wrong with this society and with that, we can better understand how to change it.

Of course, I didn't start writing with that goal - I used to just like a dark kind of story - but I guess my understanding and my personal angle on the genre has changed along with me as I became a political activist.

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
For me, it's the puzzle. I like trying to solve the unsolvable-- such as why do people act in horrid ways, specifically when it's deliberate. I like the twists, turns, and surprises-- both in the terrifying moments and the unexpected calming ones. I like juxtaposing emotions in a variety of ways-- horror mixed with laughter slammed with terror ending with a type of bittersweetness.

I write horror because I like reading it. Mostly though, I like scaring the snot out of myself and while movies, books, etc. can do it for me. I know myself better than anybody so I can find my innermost fears through my writing better than anyone else.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, the emotion of fear has never been my main concern. What I write falls into the "horror" genre, but my reason for writing it is to capture a sense of the supernatural.

My family are all fantasy fans, but epic fantasy has never been my bag. When I was a kid they gave me The Hobbit; I didn't read it. They gave me Brian Jacques; I didn't read it. They gave me Robin McKinley (my grandmother adding the curious disclaimer: "She's kind of stuck-up in person, but she writes great books."); still I didn't read it.

"Sara just isn't a fantasy person," they said.

But I ate up the Goosebumps books. I loved Stephen King. And when I discovered Heinlein, I loved him too.

Heinlein? Yeah. It's all of a piece.

All of these books show the wonderful and marvellous happening in what is recognizably this world, this universe. Whatever crazy things are going on in never-never land, they can't compare to what might be going on here and now.

And that's where fear comes into it. When they happen remote histories, in distant, unfathomable futures, or in realities so different from our own that they have no temporal relation to it, wonderful and marvellous things are basically safe. They happen, after all, only to the people of that other world, that world that is not ours.

But when that possessed mask is just like one you passed up in the Halloween store last week -- when that vampire-ridden Maine town is just like one your mother visited in the '80s -- when that sentient computer is only so much more sophisticated than your own ---

Why, it's enough to keep you up every night for the rest of your life. Yeah, it hits close to home.

For me, it's not a matter of seeing everyday horrors and making fantasies of them, but of making everyday fantasies and seeing horrors in them.

Great OP, by the way.

Lady

Registered
Reaction score
I love horror because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. (I watched a lot of it with my mom as a kid, and loved having her as my date to go see the new slasher movie, it was so much fun)

weatherfield

Registered
Reaction score
I've always been attracted to horror, without a very concrete sense of why. I saw my first (real) horror movie when I was five--it was an over-the-top, intentionally campy flick called House--and I kept thinking about it for a long time afterward. I was most fascinated by the supernatural aspect of it, but the very human vendetta component was interesting too. After that, I watched a lot of horror movies, even the bad ones. I started checking out books from the adult section of the library and reading production accounts and explanations of how they did the effects in The Exorcist. I couldn't get enough; I wanted to know about every aspect.

I don't know that I actually write horror, despite the fact that some of it has indeed been published as horror. I write dark fiction, although in real life, I certainly don't seem like a dark person. To myself, I don't feel like a dark person. I just like dark things. I also like Pop Rocks. I suppose on some level, it's just a matter of taste.

GhostAuthor

She who should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
A new person joined my 'home' critique group. This week when we got together she handed my chapter back and said, "I didn't know you wrote horror - you certainly don't look the type!"
Uh, what type is that I really wonder. . . LOL!

I write supernatural horror, and like may others, use today's world. I guess if you really wanted to get down to brass tacks - you could say I write speculative fiction or a blend of sci-fi, fantasy and horror with the focus on 'what if this was real'. I label myself 'Dark fiction' writer.

Why I write it? I think it provides an outlet for people. I always say "you think you had a bad day? That's nothing compared to what my character was faced with!"

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
I have loved horror ever since I was a young girl. I write horror because I like to explore the "what if's" in life. I love how Stephen King places normal characters that we identify with, in otherworldly situations. I want to make people look under their beds at night and sleep with the lights on. My first series is more urban fantasy, but most of what I write scares me. I want to emit the emotion of fear in my readers. That is what I aspire to do. :Jaw:

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Why write horror?

Fun.

I enjoy reading it, too.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Nice place to start

Why write horror?

Fun.

I enjoy reading it, too.

I don't set out to write horror, but I often find myself entering a horror atmosphere in terms of going through the glimpses that the characters get of the situations evolving around them. I assume they are all trained in "horror perception" (since they are "modern people" like you or me) and that they are interpreting what they perceive and suspect in terms of horror...I suppose it lets me put the reader and the characters in roughly the same place: instinctive dread and mesmerized anticipation.

But I never quite reach the horror plateau, though this new story that I'm working on is apparently going to spend quite a while asymptotically approaching the horror level. But there's going to be some twists and we aren't going to quite make it all the way to horror, I don't think.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Because when I was little, a woman came up to my mother and said that something had followed her from Jamaica and it was angry with her. (And my mother didn't know the lady but had in fact just been to Jamaica). Because my father said he saw a little girl go into the loo in our old house, thought it was one of us, but then there was no-one there. Because I once woke up in my sister's new flat and felt someone patting my face as if she (felt like a 'she') was blind and trying to see what I looked like; I thought it was my sister, who often had sleepwalk-ish episodes, but when I opened my eyes, she wasn't there and the patting was still happening, and although I know I must have been asleep, I really, really don't think I was. But I must have been. But I don't think so. But...etc.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
I read mostly horror so I just happens that I write mostly horror. I started mostly that I would write stuff that I had always wanted to read about, but could never find it in a book. So i said to myself, Why don't I just write about this stuff instead of trying to find a book that doesn't exsist.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
I read horror because I like to be scared.

I write horror, and fantasy with horror elements, because I'm fascinated by what scares people, not just in the "holy crud THERE'S A MONKEY ON MY BACK AND HE'S GOT A KNIFE!" sense but in the "This is going to serioulsy disturb me. After this, I'll never be the same" sense.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I write horror because I don't want to keep that stuff in my head.

I read horror because it stalks me, jumps on my back, tackles me, attacks me with fang and claw, and forces me to wrestle with it for hours. Days...sometimes.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I read horror because it stalks me, jumps on my back, tackles me, attacks me with fang and claw, and forces me to wrestle with it for hours. Days...sometimes.

That wasn't Horror, Jay. That was Rllgthunder.

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hmm all the good answers are taken. But that's not really why I like to write horror.

I do agree with the real life stuff not being in there. Although King makes some of that into his, there is still the supernatural element that takes it a notch up (Lisey's Story had a form of child abuse from the past, but also had the boo-yah moon thing happening).

Anyway, it's all well and good that I like to read horror, actually, I like fantasy more.

My real reason for writing horror, and trying to perfect what I do...I want to scare people. I want to make them uncomfortable, squirm in their seats, make them actually wish they'd never read my story but not able to put it down. I want to disturb the reader. I want them looking over their shoulder after they put the story/book down.

I want them afraid to turn off the lights.

I want them to actually feel the fingers clawing at their necks as they turn out the basement light to come upstairs. Like the alligator, I want to take them down low in the water, turn them around and around to cause the panic, and then just settle down into the bottom sand of the river like a smothering blanket.

Yeah...that's why I write horror.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Hey, where else can you get away with murder? Maiming, torturing, brutaly beating innocent people? What, don't you get off on that?

Yeah, I get that same attitude from people, trying to predict when I plan on beheading my entire family. They can't figure what intrigues me, and sometimes I don't know. Maybe through fear I feel more alive. So, by experiencing another's fear, I gain clarity in my existence. Or I'm just plain depraved.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hey, where else can you get away with murder? Maiming, torturing, brutaly beating innocent people? What, don't you get off on that?

Yeah, I get that same attitude from people, trying to predict when I plan on beheading my entire family. They can't figure what intrigues me, and sometimes I don't know. Maybe through fear I feel more alive. So, by experiencing another's fear, I gain clarity in my existence. Or I'm just plain depraved.

My WIP is a mystery (abject apologies for straying from the truly horrifying!), but the planned climax involves the stalker gloating over the stalkee's bound body, about to slash him with a knife, and then transferring her psychotic wrath to my MC. A staid amount of blood will flow. So I'm not completely off the horror wagon.

I'm finding it horrifying for my l'il ol' self just trying to get inside the mind of a stalker. And researching this on the Net? Who knows what the spider-bots will link to for my next spam-fest.

Hopefully, it'll be a change from total strangers casting aspersions on the size and prowess of my penis. What's a soccer mom to do?:D

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
That's one soccer mom with a mean kick!

A co-worker surprised me the other day. She discovered that I write horror and wanted to take a peak at my work. I handed her the first couple chapter of my novel that starts out with a pedophile getting his head twisted off before he can do the deed. Personally, I can't write about children getting abused in that way, in fact, thsoe creeps really tick me off so that's kind of why I started my novel with one getting whacked. She came back and said that after two pages she was embarrassed and couldn't read any more, all the while eyeballing me like I was some kind of fruitloop.

It's great getting judged by your work.

Pike

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
That's one soccer mom with a mean kick!

my novel that starts out with a pedophile getting his head twisted off before he can do the deed. Personally, I can't write about children getting abused in that way, in fact, thsoe creeps really tick me off so that's kind of why I started my novel with one getting whacked. Pike

:Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

Before you whack the next one, call me. I have a serrated knife I'll bring over to saw off his member first. Slowly.

I can't write fic about this stuff like you, tho, Pike. I blame the kids--it turns me into Avenger Mom. This is why I write horror that has no basis in reality. (Godzilla movies, anyone?)

Status
Not open for further replies.