• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Calderwood Books

Annwyn

Registered
Reaction score
I've just ran across them. They are apparently a new company. They sound interesting. I don't know though...Any word on whether they are legit? They are apparently up and coming...hmm...

Annwyn

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.calderwoodbooks.com/

Came across them from Agent Sam's blog - seems legit, I'm not sure...they're kinda new and have nothing much - they do have a list of authors, but I dont recognize them but I only skimmed it ( I should since I work in a book store and I'm familiar with quite a few names - even those I don't read )

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
They're an e-book publisher and they don't look to have anything out yet. I don't see a list of authors on their site, only four pictures (one of which has a caption).

This: "We have no limits on the number of publications per year, except those placed by our human strength." is a bit worrying. Unless they have an unlimited amount of money for editing, cover art, ISBNs, paying for formatting, etc. there will be a limit. Unless they aren't paying for any of that.

I'd wait to see if they can put out any titles and get distribution beyond their own site.

Annwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds dodgy - I'll hang back and wait, edit my book and try to capture that fleeting virtue - patience :)

Joy Calderwood

I am starting Calderwood Books because I have learned while editing that there are many good writers who, for one reason or another, are having trouble breaking into mainstream publishing. Readers should have access to them.

We are being careful about the books we choose. We want to attract mainstream readers to e-books, not drive them away. We are choosing books that readers will enjoy and want more of.

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question Joy your site says 50K words. Ah, bit low that for a full adult novel. Are you seeking only YA, or is that the minimum?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you are looking at off-mainstream (i.e. epublishing) look at the full range. There are now literally thousands of epublishers and only a minority of them with put you in the hands of a substantial number of readers. Moving the search down to small and alt format doesn't really change the need to research a companies capacity, skills and experience.

Joy Calderwood

Quick question Joy your site says 50K words. Ah, bit low that for a full adult novel. Are you seeking only YA, or is that the minimum?
There are few genres we won't take, John. They are listed on the submission page. Our actual size range is ... well, I'll look at anything. We just accepted a novella, and I offered for a 230,000 word ms.

Last edited:

jennifermacaire

I'm Jennifer Macaire, and I'm the webmistress and cover artist for Calderwood books. I also write for other publishers, and I can answer this question.

50k is standard for e-books - at Ellora's Cave and Loose Id, among others, that's considered novel length. E-books are often slightly shorter than paperback books. Ellora's Cave requires a book be at least 50k in order to be made into a paperback. According to their website, 70k and up is a plus sized novel, and below 35k, it's a novella or short story.
For 'real book' publishers, 80k is the required length for a novel, and 60k is considered normal for YA books (from Medallion Press book length requirements.)

According to their guidelines, Calderwood has no preferred novel length.

:)

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Hello Joy and Jennifer. Welcome to AW.

I have a question about distribution. Are you signing up with e-book distributors like Fictionwise, EbookAd, etc.? Or will your titles be distributed solely through your website?

Thanks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I wouldn't think of that length as standard, per se. Epublishers can release any length and 30-50 is pretty common in erotic romance, other genres run the full range, really. When I am not buying an erotic genre or short-form like a novella I tend to find my ebook novel length purchases (fantasy, saga ect) about the same as a paperback in length.

jennifermacaire

Hi Roach -
I've approached Fictionwise about distribution through their site, and will contact Amazon as well.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Amazon requires mobi-pocket format these days (mutter mutter)

For romance genre allromanceebooks.com are a good option and don't require any special formatting.

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Joy, thanks for the update.
A publisher, e-book or not, that looks at mixed-genre stories and doesn’t focus on plumbing connections in romance is both refreshing and gives all us quirky writers hope!
I wish you every success—and if I ever get this last edit finished...;)

Joy Calderwood

Consider yourself welcome, John. :) And thanks for the good wishes.

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
My book is currently in the editing process with Calderwood. However, today I received an email that was sent out to all authors. While the site has only been up for one month, authors are already receiving royalty checks.

Prior to submitting to Calderwood, I had a number of requests for a full manuscript. I came close, but not quite. It was Joy Calderwood who told me its one fundamental flaw. She advised me about how to change it, then accepted it for publication. If you google "Joy Calderwood," you will see that she has a good deal of experience in reviewing books. Her insight regarding what makes a good book is invaluable.

silverjoy

Banned
Reaction score
what exactly is e books? Does that mean they are only read on the computer internet or are they actually made into real books? I'm curious how it all works that way? Can you expain to me Joy caldwood? Or anyone else who knows about this area please?

silverjoy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry I misspelled your name Joy Calderwood. Please write back ok