AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calderwood Books

practical experience, FTW Annwyn's Avatar

Calderwood Books

I've just ran across them. They are apparently a new company. They sound interesting. I don't know though...Any word on whether they are legit? They are apparently up and coming...hmm...
    "I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen." - Frank Llyod Wright

http://mythandrants.blogspot.com/

Do you have a url for them? How did you come across them?
    Eggplant Literary Productions,
    A small electronic speculative fiction publisher.

http://www.calderwoodbooks.com/

Came across them from Agent Sam's blog - seems legit, I'm not sure...they're kinda new and have nothing much - they do have a list of authors, but I dont recognize them but I only skimmed it ( I should since I work in a book store and I'm familiar with quite a few names - even those I don't read )
    "I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen." - Frank Llyod Wright

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    This place?

http://www.calderwoodbooks.com/

An e-publisher that, to date, doesn't seem to have actually published any books.

Be not the first by whom the new are tried,
    Nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1711

Who's "Agent Sam"?

They're an e-book publisher and they don't look to have anything out yet. I don't see a list of authors on their site, only four pictures (one of which has a caption).

This: "We have no limits on the number of publications per year, except those placed by our human strength." is a bit worrying. Unless they have an unlimited amount of money for editing, cover art, ISBNs, paying for formatting, etc. there will be a limit. Unless they aren't paying for any of that.

I'd wait to see if they can put out any titles and get distribution beyond their own site.

Quote Originally Posted by roach View Post
    I don't see a list of authors on their site, only four pictures (one of which has a caption).
    The one with a caption has a name, and the name is the same as the name of the person who registered the site (in February '07).

Sounds dodgy - I'll hang back and wait, edit my book and try to capture that fleeting virtue - patience

If you want to go purely e-pub go with Chippewa Publishing:

www.chippewapublishing.com

They have an extensive catalog, record of sales and a professional staff.

Note: I am a Chippewa author so I speak from experience.

Joy Calderwood
    I am starting Calderwood Books because I have learned while editing that there are many good writers who, for one reason or another, are having trouble breaking into mainstream publishing. Readers should have access to them.

We are being careful about the books we choose. We want to attract mainstream readers to e-books, not drive them away. We are choosing books that readers will enjoy and want more of.

practical experience, FTW JohnB1988's Avatar
    Quick question Joy your site says 50K words. Ah, bit low that for a full adult novel. Are you seeking only YA, or is that the minimum?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    If you are looking at off-mainstream (i.e. epublishing) look at the full range. There are now literally thousands of epublishers and only a minority of them with put you in the hands of a substantial number of readers. Moving the search down to small and alt format doesn't really change the need to research a companies capacity, skills and experience.
    Emily Veinglory

Joy Calderwood
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB1988 View Post
    Quick question Joy your site says 50K words. Ah, bit low that for a full adult novel. Are you seeking only YA, or is that the minimum?
    There are few genres we won't take, John. They are listed on the submission page. Our actual size range is ... well, I'll look at anything. We just accepted a novella, and I offered for a 230,000 word ms.
    Last edited by Joy Calderwood; 03-20-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: improvement

jennifermacaire
    I'm Jennifer Macaire, and I'm the webmistress and cover artist for Calderwood books. I also write for other publishers, and I can answer this question.

50k is standard for e-books - at Ellora's Cave and Loose Id, among others, that's considered novel length. E-books are often slightly shorter than paperback books. Ellora's Cave requires a book be at least 50k in order to be made into a paperback. According to their website, 70k and up is a plus sized novel, and below 35k, it's a novella or short story.
    For 'real book' publishers, 80k is the required length for a novel, and 60k is considered normal for YA books (from Medallion Press book length requirements.)

According to their guidelines, Calderwood has no preferred novel length.

:-)

Hello Joy and Jennifer. Welcome to AW.

I have a question about distribution. Are you signing up with e-book distributors like Fictionwise, EbookAd, etc.? Or will your titles be distributed solely through your website?

Thanks.

I wouldn't think of that length as standard, per se. Epublishers can release any length and 30-50 is pretty common in erotic romance, other genres run the full range, really. When I am not buying an erotic genre or short-form like a novella I tend to find my ebook novel length purchases (fantasy, saga ect) about the same as a paperback in length.
    Emily Veinglory

jennifermacaire
    Hi Roach -
    I've approached Fictionwise about distribution through their site, and will contact Amazon as well.

Amazon requires mobi-pocket format these days (mutter mutter)

For romance genre allromanceebooks.com are a good option and don't require any special formatting.
    Emily Veinglory

jennifermacaire
    Thank you Veinglory!

practical experience, FTW JohnB1988's Avatar
    Joy, thanks for the update.
    A publisher, e-book or not, that looks at mixed-genre stories and doesn’t focus on plumbing connections in romance is both refreshing and gives all us quirky writers hope!
    I wish you every success—and if I ever get this last edit finished...

Joy Calderwood

Smile

Consider yourself welcome, John. And thanks for the good wishes.

practical experience, FTW
    My book is currently in the editing process with Calderwood. However, today I received an email that was sent out to all authors. While the site has only been up for one month, authors are already receiving royalty checks.

Prior to submitting to Calderwood, I had a number of requests for a full manuscript. I came close, but not quite. It was Joy Calderwood who told me its one fundamental flaw. She advised me about how to change it, then accepted it for publication. If you google "Joy Calderwood," you will see that she has a good deal of experience in reviewing books. Her insight regarding what makes a good book is invaluable.

Ahead of Your Time Chicken Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. I have a short full with Calderwood...here's hoping.
    I must get a book deal before my head explodes.
    Probably about 38 Days Left.

Banned

what exactly is e books? Does that mean they are only read on the computer internet or are they actually made into real books? I'm curious how it all works that way? Can you expain to me Joy caldwood? Or anyone else who knows about this area please?

Banned
    I'm sorry I misspelled your name Joy Calderwood. Please write back ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast