Happy Thanksgiving

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illegal book-sharing sites

Chryssie

Illegal book-sharing sites

Site for illegally sharing books: http://www.pro-board.com/index.php?p...romanceebooks&

They know it's wrong, hence this message from an admin:
    NEW RULE FOR OUR OWN SAFETY, read this or we ban u! jk

To keep private the information that we are trading due to legal issues and consequently, to keep this forum going for as long as we can, we have come up with a new rule:

No live/clickable links please.

Any live link we give can track us back here. If that happens, this forum can be closed anytime.

Since they seem nervous, just posting this message might be enough to shut this one down. But if not, here's a list of authors whose books are available on the site
    --if you know how to contact any of them, you might want to get in touch and see what their lawyers can do. They also have over a dozen Ellora's Cave books (mostly anthologies) listed in their miscellaneous section.

A
    Adele Ashworth
    Alexandra Benedict
    Alison Kent
    Amanda Ashley
    Amanda Quick
    Amy J. Fetzer
    Ann Maxwell
    Anne Ashley
    Anne Bishop
    Anne Mather
    Anne Stuart
    Autumn Dawn

B
    Barbara Delinsky
    Barbara Metzger
    Betty Neels
    Beverly Barton
    Brenda Hiatt
    Brenda Joyce

C
    Cameron Dean
    Carla Kelly
    Carly Phillips
    Catherine Coulter
    Catherine Mann
    Cathy Maxwell
    Celeste Anwar
    Celeste Bradley
    Charlaine Harris
    Cherry Adair
    Cheryl Bolen
    Cheryl Holt
    Christina Dodd
    Christine Feehan
    Claire Delacroix
    Connie Brockway
    Connie Mason
    Constance O'Day-Flannery

D
    Daisy Dexter Dobbs
    Dara Joy
    Dawn Thompson
    Deirdre Martin
    Diana Palmer
    Donna Fletcher
    Donna Kaufman

E
    Edith Layton
    Eileen Wilks
    Elizabeth Boyle
    Elizabeth Hoyt
    Elizabeth Lowell
    Elizabeth Thornton
    Elizabeth Vaughan
    Eloisa James
    Emma Holly
    Erin McCarthy

F
    Fiona Brand

G
    Gaelen Foley
    Gena Showalter
    Geralyn Dawson

H
    Hannah Howell
    Helen Bianchin

I
    Iris Johansen

J
    Jackie Ivie
    Jacquie D'Alessandro
    Jaid Black
    Jane Feather
    Janelle Denison
    Janette Evanovich
    Jayne Castle
    Jen Holling
    Jennifer Ashley
    Jennifer Crusie
    Jennifer Dunne
    Jessica Hall
    Jill Barnett
    Jillian Hunter
    J.D. Robb
    Jo Ann Ferguson
    Jo Beverley
    Jo Goodman
    Joan Wolf
    J.R. Ward
    Jude Deveraux
    Judith Glad
    Judith Ivory
    Judith McNaught
    Julia James
    Julia London
    Julia Quinn
    Julianne MacLean
    Julie Anne Long
    Julie Beard
    Julie Garwood
    Justine Davis

K
    Karen Robards
    Karen Chance
    Karen Hawkins
    Karen Marie Moning
    Karyn Monk
    Kasey Michaels
    Kat Martin
    Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
    Kathryn Smith
    Katie MacAlister
    Kay Hooper
    Kerrelyn Sparks
    Kinley MacGregor
    Kresley Cole
    Kristine Grayson

L
    Laura Kinsale
    Laura Matthews
    Laurie Grant
    Lesley Lafoy
    Linda Francis Lee
    Linda Howard
    Lisa Kleypas
    Liz Carlyle
    Lora Leigh
    Loretta Chase
    Lori Foster
    Lorie Handeland
    Lorraine Heath
    Lydia Joyce
    Lynn Viehl
    Lynsay Sands

M
    Madeline Hunter
    Margaret Evans Porter
    Marilyn Grall
    Marion Chesney
    Marjorie M. Liu
    Mary Balogh
    Mary Jo Putney
    Mary McBride
    Maureen Child
    Meagan McKinney
    Melanie George
    Michele Hauf
    Miranda Jarrett
    Miranda Lee

N
    Nan Ryan
    Nancy Warren
    Nicole Jordan
    Nina Bangs
    Nora Roberts

OP
    P.C. Cast
    Pamela Clare
    Paula Detmer Riggs
    Paula Marshall
    Penny Jordan

QR
    Rachel Caine
    Rachel Gibson
    Rebecca Hagan Lee
    Rebecca York
    Rexanne Becnel
    Ronda Thompson
    Rosemary Rogers
    Ruth Langan

S
    Samantha James
    Sandra Brown
    Sandra Hill
    Sara Craven
    Shana Abe
    Shana Galen
    Sharon Mignerey
    Sherri King
    Sherrilyn Kenyon
    Stephanie James
    Stephanie Laurens
    Stobie Piel
    Susan Andersen
    Susan Caroll
    Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Susan Johnson
    Susan Krinard
    Susan Mallery
    Susan Sizemore
    Susan Squires
    Susan Wiggs
    Suzanne Brockman
    Suzanne Enoch
    Suzanne Robinson

T
    Teresa Medeiros
    Terri Brisbin
    Tori Carrington
    Tracey Warren

UV
    Vicki Lewis Thompson
    Vickie Taylor
    Victoria Alexander
    Virginia Henley

practical experience, FTW Tsu Dho Nimh's Avatar
    I have notified the site's admin that there seems to be a bit of piracy happening ... it may do the trick.

Knowing that a publisher the size of Harlequin is gunning for them should be scary.

Another illegal site. I don't know what to do about it so I'll post it here.
    http://www.binsearch.info/browse.php...a&server=2&s=0
    Iíve never wished anyone dead, but there are obituaries that make me smile.
    ó Clarence Darrow

practical experience, FTW Robyn's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. I posted the info on another site for romance writers to give them a heads up.

What's the difference between an illegal book sharing site and a legal one?

practical experience, FTW Tsu Dho Nimh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FergieC View Post
    What's the difference between an illegal book sharing site and a legal one?
    Legal ones are do9ing it with the permission of whoever holds the rights. Go to http://www.baen.com/library/ and read the page. Baen has the full permission of the authors to post the books there.

The sites mentioned here are not affiliated with the publishers or authors.

Oh, I think I'm just being really dumb. Is this "sharing" as in E-books?

I use a couple of book swapping sites, where when you've finished with a book, you can give it away and get other books in return. As far as I'm aware, they're legal (it's just second hand books for postage cost).

If this is "sharing" as in putting them up electronically, I see the difference

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    I sent notice to seven on that list who I know, including my agent who reps for some of them.

Grrr.
    Last edited by Gillhoughly; 02-28-2007 at 08:12 PM.

practical experience, FTW Josie's Avatar
    This is interesting.

So they are electronically giving each other books to read...I can see why on the internet that would really hurt a writer. Making it public is an ouch.

The author giving rights to this is unlikely, isn't it? Is someone making money with this? Is this a scam? I'm confused. These are all well known names to me.

???

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    The author giving rights to this is unlikely, isn't it?
    I just got emails back from 3 of the writers, and no, they did not give their permission for this. They have notified their publishers, and one lodged a complaint directly to the server.

Is someone making money with this?
    The authors made a percentage of the "cover" price when the e-copy was first sold, and the publisher has to trust that the buyer will respect copyright law and not post the book on forums like esnips. Clearly certain people are failing that trust.

Is this a scam? I'm confused.
    That makes two of us!

The posters have NOTHING to gain from it. Maybe they just want attention or they're bored or they think e-books are too expensive and that "sharing" is okay since they aren't making money off of it. I've seen all kinds of lame excuses. In rare cases they honestly did not know that it is illegal. In others, certain trolls know it's wrong and don't care.

Whatever, we pretty much have to police the industry ourselves and let the neos know that this is not the Done Thing.

So far I've been lucky and to my knowledge no e-copy of any of my titles has been posted, but I AM angry on behalf of my friends who are getting ripped off. They worked hard to get those words out of their heads. It's just wrong that they are cheated from getting a fair return for their work!

It a similar problem to that the music industry has suffered with peer-to-peer sharing, I suppose, and a difficult one to combat. For one thing, you do rely on trust; for another, with both books and records, people are quite used to buying a book, reading it, then passing it onto someone else.

Trouble with the internet is that when you pass it on to an internet site, you're making it public. On the plus side, so few people yet want to read e-books it probably won't to the authors a huge amount of damage (unlike with illegal music). On the downside, they'll need to figure some way to combat it if E-books ever do become popular.

I do wish I could understand the "Nobody reads ebooks" comments I keep hearing today. Ellora's Cave didn't make millions of dollars in sales because nobody reads ebooks. These sites don't exist because nobody reads ebooks.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    If I buy a hard copy book, read it and give it away or sell it, I have not committed a crime. The book is my chattel and I can do what the heck I want with it.

If I take my book, go to Kinko's or a self-serve Xerox machine, make a copy and either keep or give away that copy, or give way the book because now I have a xerox of it, I have just broken the law.

The book is my chattel, I do not have the right under any circumstancfes to print my own copies of it.

Same with e-books. I could send my copy to someone else, or even sell it, as long as I delete the book from my hard drive.

regards,
    Scott
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]

I don't believe many authors have a problem with someone sending an ebook to a friend to help them discover a new author. These file sharing networks give limitless copies and could seriously hurt a publisher and author. never mind the fact that there are no age restrictions on these sites.

I also think that these sorts of places hurt the ebook industry growth.
    Last edited by Harris; 03-01-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    ó Clarence Darrow

I also think that these sorts of places hurt the ebook industry grow.
    I'm not entirely sure about that, although I disagree completely with the sites. But the illegal sites that sprung up for music were exactly what the industry needed to give it a kick up the arse and show it that people did want to download music from the internet, and they had to change with the times.

It's also completely re-invigorated the music industry from a nadir it was in when it only wanted to bring out really popular, "bestselling", money spinning bands and wasn't willing to invest in new talent. It's brought a lot of new bands through and shaken things up, and the music scene is far better now from the point of view of music fans.

So far from stopping the e-book industry grow, if it turns out publishers and writers are losing a lot of money this way, it might actually give more impetus to its development.

Chryssie

Update

The romanceebooks forum is now closed.

You might be right. I'm not so sure considering the industry doesn't like change and the idea of providing something so easy for people to abuse could cost them money.

Some people believe that these type thieves would never spend the money for an ebook anyway. They only want what they can get for free.
    ó Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by Chryssie View Post
    The romanceebooks forum is now closed.
    Woohoo!
    ó Clarence Darrow

practical experience, FTW Robyn's Avatar
    YES! Ok that was quick. I'm happy though.

You might be right. I'm not so sure considering the industry doesn't like change and the idea of providing something so easy for people to abuse could cost them money.
    That was exactly the same as the record industry, who had to play massive catch up when they finally woke up to the fact that you can't actually stop change happening: when technology changes, you deal with it, or you become like the dinosaurs.

Some people believe that these type thieves would never spend the money for an ebook anyway. They only want what they can get for free.
    Again, exactly what the music business said. In fact, the people most likely to pass on music "illegally" (ie taping for others, then sharing on the internet) are the genuine music lovers who buy most music. The industry was kind of ignoring them anyway by reducing the range of music available in shops, and catering only to the mass market. The internet was fantastic for the real music lovers, because it opened up a whole new world of music to them; they could now find their own bands.

The bands who became really successful - eg Franz Ferdinand, The Arctic Monkeys etc (I only know about UK, sorry) - were the ones who leapt right in and gave away their music for free to start with. There is a real joy in sharing music (and books - if you love a book, you tell people, you pass it on). The joy for real fans is in that rather than going into a shop and passing over the money. It doesn't mean those people are all criminals - they're passionate, they crave a lot of the product they love, and yes, if they can get loads of it for free as a sample, they will do, but they'll still buy as well. What they found was that bands weren't actually losing out - if you can download something for free, you'll download something you wouldn't have bought. That might lead onto sales you'd never have made otherwise.

The music industry shot itself in the foot by treating the real music lovers as criminals while similtaneously ignoring what they really wanted and catering only to the mass market, and they're paying the price now. If the publishing industry is smart, they'll look at the music industry and try not to copy the mistakes it made. Just assuming most readers are potential thiefs and changes in technology must be stopped won't help them at all.

Gifted Goofball
    I think some musicians have compromised by allowing their live performances to be traded for free, unless that live performance was put on an official CD. It gives listeners the flavor of the musicians, but life performances are completely different than ones done in the studio. So the liver performances don't replace the experience of the studio CDs.

I wonder if authors could figure out something clever in that vein, if they wanted to try doing the same concept (allowing some material to be distributed for free, like short stories...?)

To be honest, a lot of distribution these days is effectively giving away the book for free. I mean, if a published author is lucky enough to get their book featured in a book club, for example, they will sell loads, but at such a low price there'll be almost no royalties for it.

If - when starting out - an author can give away an E-book (which is essentially free to create anyway) and that leads to readers, I don't see the problem. Readers leads to word of mouth, leads hopefully to sales in the longer term...

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Well, look at this story:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/interne...eut/index.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The dusty world of book publishing has taken a step into cyberspace as Random House and HarperCollins letting customers browse books online.

Random House, whose writers include Danielle Steel and Norman Mailer, said on Tuesday it will let consumers search and browse through more than 5,000 of its titles on the Internet through a new service called Insight.
    The story continues from that point.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Oh -- and listen: there's really good money in book club sales. Yes, the royalties per book are lower, but they sell tons of the things.

Oh -- and listen: there's really good money in book club sales. Yes, the royalties per book are lower, but they sell tons of the things.
    I guess that's true if you're selling a lot. The only person I've heard it from was a fairly new writer who probably wasn't selling huge amounts. He saw the sales figures from the book club and they were huge to him, so he expected a large royalty cheque and was really disappointed with a few pounds when it came through! But the increase in sales led to an increase in sales, so he was happy enough in the end.

I wasn't knocking book clubs at all, just saying giving things away free or more cheaply isn't necessarily a bad thing when you're starting out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast