• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The August Agency

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
On the "Authors" page of the August Agency's website there's a list of books. But many were sold years ago (as far back as 1993) and are long out of print, so I suspect neither Ms. Pechstein nor Mr. McGraw were responsible for placing them. Others are published by independents that don't typically work with agents, such as Chenault & Gray. In one case, the publisher is one about which Writer Beware has gotten several complaints, and is the subject of a thread here: JoNa Books. I would not feel happy about an agent who had placed a book with this publisher.

On the hopeful side, Mr. McGraw seems to have a lot of industry experience, so maybe he will begin to increase the agency's track record.

- Victoria

Jack King

Jeffery McGraw Agent New York

Normally I refrain from harping about every rejection received, I had my share of them trying to land an agent for my first and then the second novel, but I think that this one deserves to be mentioned in the public.

It concerns Jeffery McGraw of the August Agency. Jeffery telephoned me to talk about my novel, which he offered to represent (recorded conversation on file). He sounded quite professional and I was pleased to hear his takes on my current and future writing prospects as they agreed with my own. To cut to the chase, Jeffery said an agency/author agreement would be in the mail within a couple of weeks. Three weeks later I received an email in which Jeffery and his partner Cricket Pechstein change their minds and decide not to represent me after all. Their only explanation being that I'm not Michael Crighton or James Patterson, or some other author with decades of career-building behind me and therefore would "not result in a terrific sale".

Folks, I thought that not replying to queries and not returning SASEs was bad manners, I thought that requesting a manuscript for consideration and never replying and not replying to follow-up questions was bad manners, but I must say that August Agency tops the list as the most distasteful treatment I received thus far.

I'm not posting this out of revenge, just pointing out that Jeffery knew I was not Crighton or Patterson, and knew how many books I published so far. He knew this before he telephoned me and offered representation. Toying with people', particuraly writers' frail nerves is not cool.

Jack

www.spywriter.com

Last edited:

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
They rejected me...now I'm glad.

That was-- without a doubt-- cruel Jack, sorry to hear.

Good Luck.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
I just have to add my two cents here.

I have recently been in contact with Mr. McGraw regarding my novel (literary fiction). He has offered me representation, and I am likely to accept after I hear back from one more agent. We had a lovely phone conversation and have been emailing several times a week. He has been prompt, helpful, and professional in every respect. More to the point, he has also closed many sales in the last year, which demonstrates that he's made a smooth transition from editor to agent.

Mr. McGraw sent me five pages of editorial comments on my novel, with an additional page from his partner, Cricket, and they have illuminated its strengths and weaknesses, gently guiding me toward revisions that I felt too paralyzed to do anything about before. I have confidence that when I am finished revising, it will be a much better read, and I have the August agents to thank for that.

I have a lot of faith in this forum and have benefitted greatly from its feedback. This is just my experience, and I have no idea what the future holds. But if anyone out there feels tepid about querying August due to this thread, please give it some more consideration. I feel like I'll be in good hands.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
More to the point, he has also closed many sales in the last year, which demonstrates that he's made a smooth transition from editor to agent.
This information doesn't seem to be reflected on the agency's website. The only recent sales I can find anywhere are the four that are mentioned in the client bios (as I noted in my message above, most of the "featured titles" listed on the site are older sales). August seems to be a small agency--less than 20 clients according to the website--but even so, four sales doesn't suggest "many" to me.

I'm asking this out of a sincere desire to know, because I get questions about this agency and I'd like to give accurate answers. Did Mr. McGraw mention any titles and/or publishers?

- Victoria

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
Victoria,

I know that you have a benchmark in your mind for what an agent should sell every year, and it was not my intention to exaggerate with my "many" comment. I think Mr. McGraw would acknowledge that the sales are modest, but--and this is important-- growing. The agency is just two years old, and they are optimistic about the forward momentum. I was merely trying to reassure prospective submitters that Mr. McGraw is a pleasure to work with and that the breadth of his background (former editor for HarperCollins, stint in advertising, promotion, etc.) leads me to believe that the August agents have high ambitions for the future and are heading in the right direction.

As for his recent sales, I will be happy to mention them here: Dr. Sarah Maxwell's THE PRICE IS WRONG to Wiley, the next Erin O'Rourke work of women's fiction (written by Lance Hawvermale) to FiveStar, H.R. William's debut mystery, THE WHISKEY KILLING, also to FiveStar, and H.R.'s western novel, HARRIS: RETURN OF THE GUNFIGHTER, to Treble Heart.

I queried widely for my novel, and (so far) Mr. McGraw is the lone agent to offer representation. He has been the only one willing to hold my hand while I suffer through revisions, and my appreciation is boundless. I think he's eager for quality work (even if it's a diamond in the rough!), and seems like he'll be a tireless advocate for me and my novel. Obviously, he's not a "top-tier" agent yet, and I have no illusions about that. Nor does he, I imagine.

But they all have to start somewhere, and I think that Mr. McGraw is really digging in his heels for the long haul. For what my opinion's worth. :)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I noted the Treble Heart "sale" on August's website, and didn't count it. It really isn't a sale at all, since this publisher doesn't pay advances. Given that agents earn on commission, there's little incentive for an agent to place a book with a non-advance-paying publisher. Treble Heart is the subject of a thread here. I wonder if maybe the author placed his book himself.

As I noted in a previous post, Mr. McGraw does have the kind of background you want to see in an agent--but on the other hand, the agency has been in business for over two years and seems to be having a tough time building a track record. I don't really have any kind of "benchmark" in mind for sales, but they should be appropriate to the agency's size and age. Even for a small, relatively recently-established agency, four sales isn't a strong track record. This could certainly change--I hope it will. But for now, there's reason for a certain amount of caution.

Another thing that concerns me is Christina Pechstein. She has been trying to establish herself as an agent for many years, both with others and on her own, with what looks like only the most minimal success (see the earlier posts in this thread--the sales she made for Lance Hawvermale to Five Star are the only real commercial sales I can find for her). She's a regular on the conference circuit, but as a literary agent, she doesn't have much presence.

- Victoria

jurched

Registered
Reaction score
Cricket was my FIRST rejection! Hoorah!

Greetings!

I have the pleasure of announcing that Cricket Freeman (nee Pechstein) was my very first rejection! It was exciting to receive a one-line email that read:

"Oh. My. Gawd...! This is certainly one for the files!"

Not exactly the most professional response to my query.
My one-line response:

"Indeed? And which file might that be? The square one, or the round one?"

To be fair, several hours later came a standard, professional form letter explaining the usual reasons for rejection. I rather expected a rejection simply because I was peddling something she said she didn't want. But I figure, "an email query shouldn't hurt."

I cannot say whether the first flippant email was actually her. Perhaps it was some associate using her mail for his own pleasure. Or, maybe she's as flippant and unprofessional as people have been suggesting.

Anyway. It was a good way to toughen the ol' fibre as I boldly plough forward.

J

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
Cricket Freeman (The August Agency) was listed as a presenter at a writers' conference I was checking out, so I thought I'd do a search on her here.

If I do decide to attend that conference, I'll give her session a pass.

Last edited:

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I thought that name was familiar. Ms Freeman was at the recent Surrey International Writers Conference in BC, and there's an interview with her in the Victoria Times-Colonist.
Just for interest's sake.
-Barbara

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
Hi Mark,

Jeffery McGraw is still my agent, though we have not been fortunate enough to find a publisher for my novel. However, he has certainly gotten my ms into the hands of reputable editors, at most of the major houses. We made it to the editorial board a few times, but the novel was not deemed to be marketable enough (it's literary fiction) for publication.

He will definitely work hard for you as a client, and is very responsive to requests/e-mails. He's just a nice, personable guy, too. I am not as familiar with Cricket, though she and Jeffery wrote up editorial revision suggestions for me before I signed with the agency. Most of her ideas were good.

Jeffery is still keeping an eye out for smaller publishers, so we'll see what develops. Anyway, I would encourage you to query him, in spite of the modest sales. Good luck!

[email protected]

Metaphysical Spiritualist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
an oldie but a goodie

"You've earned your way to the next step"??? With an opener like that, my sleaze-bucket sensor alerts would be going off, too... Yick! Please tell me that real, legit, reputable agents don't respond to queries like that.

I know this is an old posting, but the statement, "...my sleaze-bucket alerts would be going off........"
I nearly pissed myself!

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any updated experience with this agency? I've heard a lot about Jeff McGraw recently from Writer's Digest and wanted to know if anyone had recent things to share.

Reaction score
Jeff as an Agent

Hello,

I had Jeff as an agent for three years, recently parting ways as I joined a different agency. He marketed two books of mine through the years and near the end I managed to find my own publisher... though he did negotiate the contract... Probably should have done it myself, but it was my first book deal through an agency. He will get your book to the publishers, and I don't really have any serious complaints. The only thing is that just because they represent one of your books, doesn't mean they will represent any of the rest of them, even though they are contracted to. If they are not in love with every single book you write, they won't market them for you and may not read them. I didn't see anything wrong with the agency, but they didn't produce any results for me even though one of the two books is now in line for a potential movie deal... strange. I would recommend them as a secondary choice for an agency, good if you are having trouble finding one. Don't expect them to go out of their way to help you though after they start pushing the book they first accepted, and if you write another book you will probably have to find another agent to sell it for you.

mschannon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
parodieslost.typepad.com
Sounds like if one is desperate enough, it's an agency worth considering...and who among us unpublished novelists isn't desperate, LOL. I appreciate all the comments, above, but it still leaves me uncertain about them. Oh well.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
I posted above regarding my experience as Jeffery McGraw's client. But I do have an important update.

Jeffery just negotiated my contract with Medallion Press for my debut novel, Plum Blossoms in Paris.

The novel was on submission for awhile, and racked up its share of rejections, but Jeffery was persistent, and kept sending it right back out there. Not only did he get the book into the right hands (we had a couple near misses at larger houses), but his negotiating skills also impressed me when it came time to secure an offer. My advance doubled.

Plus, I just like the guy. :) We have a friendly relationship, and he's always been responsive to my questions and concerns. Jeffery has faith in my writing long-term, and it feels good to have him in my corner. His editorial suggestions were excellent during my revision process--his past experience with Harper Collins is very apparent.

Okay. That's about it. I just had to throw in my two cents (again). I have a lot of confidence in Jeffery! He certainly came through for me.

Reaction score
For people asking for updates

Almost a year ago I queried Ms. Freeman and recieved an enthusiastic response much like the one that begins this whole thread (...'intrigued us, send the manuscript, do a book proposal, knock our socks off,' etc...). Very exciting, indeed. So I did all the work she was asking for and launched it off, then held my breath. And held my breath. And held my breath. So, fast-forward about ten months and I'm still here without any kind of reply whatsoever. I have re-emailed her on two occasions asking for one but have gone unanswered. So, to anyone thinking of querying the agency, I recommend skipping it. The only thing worse than a rejection is a tease.

Last edited:

drkswain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dynamicduos.info
August Agency

I know most of the posts on here are from 2005, but I am afraid that those who stumble across them might be misled. I am a non-fiction writer who has been represented by Jeffery McGraw at the August Agency for over four years now - four great years. Both Jeffery and Cricket have been both professional and successful in their representation of my work - representation that has resulted in a two book deal with more to come. My first book, Dynamic Duos: The Alpha/Beta Key to Success in Gay Relationships resulted in multiple offers and was published in July, 2008 by Alyson Books. It has been in the Amazon top 100 for gay non-fiction since then. I have only praise for the August Agency and it's agents. Please disregard these posts that warn you away from this agency - these people don't know what they are talking about. My advice about agents in general? Talk to them directly to get a feel to see if they are a good fit - and then contact some of the writers who are represented by them - most of us are more than willing to talk about our experiences with our agents. Take care.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
drkswain, it's one thing to post your positive experience with and endorsement of this agency--we welcome such posts, as the purpose of the threads here is to give writers as much info as possible in order to help them make up their own minds.

But it's quite another thing to condemn other posters by alleging that they "don't know what they're talking about." Your experience may differ from theirs, or you may choose to draw different conclusions--but that doesn't invalidate their comments, any more than their comments invalidate yours.

- Victoria

Reaction score
I confess I have had nothing to do with Jeffrey McGraw so I have to assume he does his job. The vast majority of the praise in this thread for the August Agency relates to his efforts alone. Drkswain, my experience with Cricket Freeman (to my knowledge a full one-half of the entire August Agency) is not from 2005. It has been this year (2007), and my experience with her is one to be avoided by others. Do not tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I haven't made anything up or exaggerated; I simply queried an agency and received an invite from Ms. Freeman to send more material. 'More material' also includes several things that an agent should be doing such as a fiction book proposal and marketing research. She justified asking for those things for a fiction novel by telling me they gave a writer a leg up when querying a publisher. I have never heard back from Ms. Freeman, even after I sent two email requests asking for her decision. This happened to me, I know it, so I will post about it. I can handle a 'no', I just need to be told it. After reading this thread, Mr. McGraw might do well to distance himself from the name August Agency. I will amend my statement from my previous post and stand by it: Cricket Freeman is to be skipped.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
More material' also includes several things that an agent should be doing such as a fiction book proposal and marketing research.

For novels, proposals and marketing research are not appropriate for the kinds of publishers an agent would approach.

- Victoria