• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Winterbear Publications

Miss

Registered
Reaction score
A friend is getting her novel published by a small house called Winterbear Publications. I haven't heard of it and don't know if it has a website. Does anyone know anything about it?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
A friend is getting her novel published by a small house called Winterbear Publications. I haven't heard of it and don't know if it has a website. Does anyone know anything about it?

Winterbear does their book printing through Lulu.com and seems to have no other distribution or marketing presence than their Lulu storefront.

Regards,
Scott

Miss

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a site somewhere, or is it just listed in a newer edition of Writers Market than the one I have?

Miss

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything on there indicating that it's a publisher, not just one person selling their own books.

Last edited:

Miss

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, vanity press.
That answers my question--it costs money to get published by Winterbear.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Okay, vanity press.
That answers my question--it costs money to get published by Winterbear.

They're really bad at it too. I mean, there are scam/vanity publishers, and then there's Winterbear....just a cute little pokey puppy. It's funny, in a "good god, they might believe this tripe themselves" sort of way."

Miss

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit shocked; this friend made them sound legit. Maybe she hasn't seen the site.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm a bit shocked; this friend made them sound legit. Maybe she hasn't seen the site.

Has your friend paid any money? (the first bad sign)

More important, signed any type of contract? Get out of it now. Your friend's being charged to make the book available on Lulu, something your friend could do for free with a few hour's elbow grease.

Or better yet, go for a real publisher. Random House, Bantamn, Baen Books, WiliamMorrow, and so on. Why not aim for the top?

Miss

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if she's paid money or signed a contract, just that she says she was accepted.

I'll link her to this thread. I was surprised she found a publisher so easily because I sure haven't! I'm going the agent route, though.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
With agents, as with publishers, be careful. Do your homework. You have a powerful resource in these forums, you and your friend. When you look for agents and publishers, it doesn't hurt to check here and see what's being said about them.

Don't just "settle" for anything, because what you may be "settling" for might be sleaze.

Look for an agent who can get your book with a publisher who can get your book on store shelves. And I mean those big bookstore buildings, not just on Amazon.com. Getting listed there is just a little more elbow grease.

Miss

Registered
Reaction score
I've been checking out my agents here. I research anyone my friends recommend to me (ie New York Literary Agency). That's why I came here for this one after I couldn't find it on P&E.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
In that case, it sounds like you're going to do just fine. :)

Miss

Registered
Reaction score
If by "fine," you mean several requests for partials and fulls but no agent after a year, then I'd say you're right on. I won't settle for something like Winterbear, though.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Good. Never settle. Never give up! Never surrender!

galaxy_quest_3.jpg

^

This is to inspire you on your quest. You don't have to thank me.

;)

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
NB. Although larger publishers may offer to pay YOU an advance in order to deal with your book, they generally charge higher fees for their services such as cover designing, and remove these payments from future royalties.
With WINTERBEAR you pay us up front for our services, and we do NOT charge any ongoing payments.
YOU keep EVERY CENT from your actual book sales.

This IS tripe.

Regards,
Scott

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
reading fee

From their site:

* To read your UNREQUESTED MS: Please pay US$25 via paypal (see below) and send your full MS via email to [email protected], placing UNREQUESTED MS in the subject line.

This is interesting. I have never seen a reading fee from a vanity publisher. Most are happy to have you send the manuscript to them for a free read.

The other thought I have is, with this setup, a publisher could simply collect the fees, send out the SASE with a form reject letter and be $25 dollars US ahead.

So, who wants to go partners with me on setting up one of these? Sorry, I get the helicopter. You will have to deal with just getting the 4 Porsches.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Paying to submit. The mind boggles.

Just the following link in the evolutionary chain, Emily. Next will be some poor schmoe calling a printer like this and saying, "Hey, I just thought of a cool story! What's your cut of my thought again? Twenty per cent? Say, that's more than fair. Do you take PayPal?" :D

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Z and I were all over this months ago! And Roy too but I don't think he's on these forums.

Anyway, this lady was on myspace first. I actully spoke with her. I think her heart is in the right place but she just has no idea what she is doing. Basically you pay her to design your book on Lulu. That's it. Thats the long and short of it. If you click around her area on the site a little you'll see what she has and I hate to say it becuase I always try to be nice but its not very promising.

Personal information about her, basically she wrote some books and they weren't picked up by any agents or publishers so she opened her own "publisher" which is where we're at now.

My advice, follow what the posters before me said and stay away. All the good intentions in the world don't make this a good idea.

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Z and I were all over this months ago! And Roy too but I don't think he's on these forums.

My advice, follow what the posters before me said and stay away. All the good intentions in the world don't make this a good idea.

Yes we were, but to no avail.

To quote the person who started winterbear:
I remain secure in my claim that I AM a small alternative publishing service, and i do not recall having stated anywhere that I was a small TRADITIONAL publisher, so why get on my back telling me i am not such? Just because some people have tunnel-vision eyes and expect everyone to see the exact same dream and goal, does not mean that the rest of the world joins in and sees as you see. Some of us accept alternatives, and WANT TO.

I am. I am a small alternative publishing service. I guess that pretty much says it all.

Here is the entire thread, which may show you how someone with a myspace can become a "Publisher."

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?...n=E2EEA083-BDC0-440D-ACDB540E9F4614F722530292

Miss

Registered
Reaction score
Well, my friend seems to be going ahead with Winterbear anyway.

Am I right that this is just a single person, not a company?

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw C'mon, this is just a hoax. Someone is suggesting that you pay them to design covers, but this is what they produce as a cover ?

zoom_577126.jpg

zoom_429613.jpg

It's a joke. It has to be.

For a start, she is in Wollongong (Australia).
But there is no such business as 'Winterbear' in Australia.
(It has to be an Australian business because she claims to be collecting 10% GST - an Australian tax. You can only do that if you are a registered Australian business - ie: You have an ABN.)

If you don't believe me, go to http://www.abr.business.gov.au click on 'ABN lookup' and type in 'Winterbear'. (Any business in Australia has an 'ABN' - Australian Business Number).

It's gotta be a joke. It certainly isn't a real publisher.

Mac

Last edited: